CADAC Safari Chef - Feedback?

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I'll be anxious to see your review. I've been interested in this grill for the last couple years but as opposed to using the disposable propane canisters, I'd like to use a propane canister to bottle adapter to use with a regular refillable propane tank (Lite cylinder). Including the use of the adapter would certainly enhance the value of your analysis to me and a few others thinking along this line... I use a tank for my stove and I'd like to carry only one fuel source. Thanks!

Here is relatively recent thread on the subject. http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...39673&highlight=cadac+safari+chef#post1039673

OverlandGourmet

I'm right there with you on the single fuel source - believe me! :)

I just caught that thread. Interesting to see the prices people paid all over the place - $30 to $100! Our is a long term loaner and we also got the larger version as well to put through the paces. How it holds up under repeated use is going to be the kicker. You can work around a decent burner and we all know that you can cook just about anything on a 30 year old Coleman. What I do like already about the CADAC is the various cooking "methods" that are included. They also had a pretty decent little recipe guide that was included and showed you how to maximize those various methods.

Stay tuned ...

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
The flexibility provided by the various multipurpose attachments has me intrigued as well. There are times where I don't need to travel with a stove or I want to grill but without dragging along a dedicated grill, charcoal, or wood. Plus, that inverted lid looks like it could be a dandy wok. The Safari Chef looks to deliver both options, "stove-top cooking" along with grill and griddle, in one piece of gear. The other option too, is it can extend cooking capacity; I enjoy cooking for the group and having my Partner and the CADAC would really increase efficiency.

My big thing is I only want to deal with one fuel source. I'm on the edge of my seat in anticipation, Zach.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Hi Mate

We have had one for about 10 years. Really good bit of kit but it is a bit hard to efficiently pack it anywhere. It will be part of the ambo's standard cooking kit for use outside. For 2 people it is good, 3 it is sufficient and 4 + it gets a bit small. Works well with the GSI Wok as well.

It is the only gas stove we have (apart from a couple of the cheapo single burners for domestic as well as camping duty).

OverlandGourmet

The bacon wrapped dates can be done a couple of ways ...

1. Wrap the bacon around the pitted dates and bake them in an oven (which many of us don't have at camp) for 20-30 minutes depending upon the heat.
2. Cook the bacon in a skillet until it is almost done, remove from grease and allow to cool, wrap around the bacon dates and put back in the skillet to finish up.
3. Grab yourself some pre-cooked bacon at Costco, slice in half, wrap around the pitted dates and toothpick (soak the tooth picks in water first to eliminate burning in the next step), toss over the coals on your bbq and heat until hot or very warm.

You really can't go wrong with any method and I know there are a couple different other ways to do it out there. The main issue, regardless of what method you choose, is dealing with the grease created by the bacon. Although you could always fry up some pork chops in it ... :)

cactusjk

Explorer
Thanks. I had one of these grills a while back and sold it before ever using it. With all the fire bans in AZ/CA I decided to order another from Amazon at $67.50 and free shipping. I am hoping OVG has good success and figures out a way to use bulk propane!

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
For what its worth... I wrote a review a while back here. The other discussion thread is here.

This grill is great. We use it with a 10lb bulk propane tank that also feeds a double burner stove.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
How do you have that set up? I'm thinking of doing the same thing Graham.

I put a tee valve on the tank. Each of the two outputs have the same male thread as the 1lb disposable tanks and I just connect them to the stove/grill with a 6' or so rubber extension hose. I think I got all the parts from Walmart or similar. The tee is reasonably protected by the collar on the tank so I leave it in place.

This setup has worked well with various combinations of stoves and grills for the last decade. The 10lb tank expires this year so I'm looking for a replacement -- something taller and thinner would probably be easier to manage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles