Anybody regret trailer smaller than 4x6 Any Positive Feedback for the Smaller Trailer

kozaz

We have a 2012 JK 2dr Jeep, so that is why the towing capacity is limited. The main things we want is a porta pottie with enclosure, tent, and cooler. (Would like to add RTT at end of the road but not required.)

I'm looking for any feed back positive or negative on a 4x6 or smaller expedition trailer?
When I say 4x6, I mean box size. I plan on lengthening the tongue as required for better tracking.
My needs are as follows:
Total tow weight must be under 2000lbs (Goal is 1300lbs)
Full Size Tires (I would get the correct adapters and/or lift to match our Jeep)
Needs to support me and the wife (2 people max) for weekend escapes, no longer than 2 days!
Not sure if I would need a 2500lb or is a 3500lb axle overkill?

I keep seeing some 4x4 trailers, but I think that is pushing the limits on being able to carry everything.

Thanks,
Ryan

tbone1004

Observer
so the trailer limit is 2klbs, and is so low because of the very short wheel base of the jeep. Because of the weight distribution on the vehicle, combined with the very short wheel base, putting heavy loads on the hitch means your front bumper is being lifted, which is dangerous. SO dimensions aren't as important as much as the distribution on the trailer. We're on this forum, so the M416 and their Canadian counterparts are so popular. If you can find one, great. If not you want to use that as a base for your design.

So we're back to your original post. The M416 is a 4x6 design! It also has a 3500lb axle. It's going offroad, it could benefit from the extra strength, no sense in having a busted axle down the road. 4x6 is what you want, and you won't regret it. Any bigger and you're risking safety

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I will try to post pictures of my 4x6 tomorrow, but it was specifically built to be towed by a Wrangler and is perfectly balanced.

loren85022

Explorer
Heck, this baby is less than 4x6! You can stack your crap (pun intended) and roll anywhere. The boss will love you. Add a Thule Rack and she'll sport an RTT with style.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328340711.181162.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328340711.181162.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 766

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Custom built or factory made?
I would hunt for a M416 too!
Craigslist and the forum are your friends.
Here are some pictures from the forum.

Attachments

• a74df133.jpg
    a74df133.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 56
  • P1030835.JPG
    P1030835.JPG
    462.3 KB · Views: 66

JeepDork

Adventurer
I have larger tires on my trailer too. I was told a min of 3500# axle, not for the weight but because of the larger tire. Probably why the 416 has the same, Good luck with your build.

kozaz

Thanks for the info, I was not planning on getting anything bigger than a 4x6. I've been coming across 4x4 trailers, but I'm thinking it would be to small.

I was under the impression that those M416s when loaded were near 1500 - 2000lbs, that was why I was shying away from them.

I honestly can not justify paying for an aftermarket one.

Basically, I'm looking for a utility trailer that I can build upon.

Thanks,
Ryan

tbone1004

Observer
loaded they can be close to 2klbs, but again, your jeep is limited to that weight because of the balance factor, not because of the drivetrain. Empty they weight 670lbs, with 130 on the tongue. That's good. Fully loaded to capacity, they are supposed to be 1200lbs *1200 offroad, much more onroad which is why you see the high weights* with 150lbs on the tongue. That's not going to upset your jeep at all as far as tongue weight. 150lbs is nothing.

Gokracer1

Adventurer
Kozaz,

I am in the same boat as you are... Well Kinda.. I already had a Eezi Awn 1600 RTT on a previous application that I sold and kept the tent. I also have a 2 dr JK with 35" tires that is my main trail vehicle. I have a drawer system with fridge, water, etc. But I wanted to free up some weight in the Jk and also after having a RTT it is hard to do without for us anymore!

So I just placed an order with Sierra 4x4 Trailer to build me one that will do a few things for me...
http://www.sierra4x4trailers.com/

It will have a Lid so I am throwing the RTT on top
I will also put the fridge in there as well to make more room in the back of the JK for our Dog (Pomeranian so I don't need much space). I am going to add a battery system in it to power that and additional accessories down the road.
I will also have the ability now to carry more fuel and water which is HUGE for us so we can stay away longer.
I have already added anticipating this trailer, Air bag levelers that go inside the coil springs, and a trailer brake controller. I have seen these get pulled behind plenty of Jk's so I am sure the weight factor will not be a problem...

The reason I didn't go with an M416 is because a lot of them I was finding were older and rust was a problem. I NEED something that is going to be able to handle where I take it (Not saying a M416 won't) and just for a piece of mind knowing it is brand new with a better suspension makes me feel better about it.
I know money is a factor as it is for most everyone, that is why I went with Sierra, they are very well built and cost less then the competitors. Also if you are just looking for a starting platform to add to the basic trailer with no lid weights 640lbs with tires and wheels... Just some info

Here is a pic of a Sierra 4x4 Trailer with a 2 Door....

standard.jpg

Last edited:

grimbo

Explorer
Mines a but different but is only a 5x4
d31c8821-e7a8-2fb2.jpg

d31c8821-e7c8-aa0a.jpg

d31c8821-e7df-0e98.jpg

But I like the size, means I dont take any unnecessary stuff

tclaremont

Observer
This is my Coleman Versa-Trailer. Closed up it is 4 x 6. Both the front and rear tailgates flip down to create a full 4 x 8 floor though. I have an overkill 3500 lb axle because the cost is so comparable to lighter axles. The black fiberglass lid is hinged in the front, or can be removed altogether in about 60 seconds. The tongue has a pin in it to allow the bed to tilt and still be hitched to the JK.

I have purchased three of these trailers for under 200 each in the last year. They weigh about 350 lbs with this wheel and tire combo.

jeeptrailerdone.jpg

Dirtytires

Explorer
This is my Coleman Versa-Trailer. Closed up it is 4 x 6. Both the front and rear tailgates flip down to create a full 4 x 8 floor though. I have an overkill 3500 lb axle because the cost is so comparable to lighter axles. The black fiberglass lid is hinged in the front, or can be removed altogether in about 60 seconds. The tongue has a pin in it to allow the bed to tilt and still be hitched to the JK.

I have purchased three of these trailers for under 200 each in the last year. They weigh about 350 lbs with this wheel and tire combo.

View attachment 84852

Where were you able to score three of these at?

JeepDork

Adventurer
loaded they can be close to 2klbs, but again, your jeep is limited to that weight because of the balance factor, not because of the drivetrain. Empty they weight 670lbs, with 130 on the tongue. That's good. Fully loaded to capacity, they are supposed to be 1200lbs *1200 offroad, much more onroad which is why you see the high weights* with 150lbs on the tongue. That's not going to upset your jeep at all as far as tongue weight. 150lbs is nothing.

I agree, the 2007 & up Jeep JK Wrangler tow capacity is 2000lbs for the 2dr and 3500lbs for the 4dr. Both have the same engine and drivetrain. The 4dr is heavier, but is longer so it tows 75% more weight!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles