Anybody regret trailer smaller than 4x6 Any Positive Feedback for the Smaller Trailer

compactcamping

Explorer
This is mine with a 45" x 53" x 21" box and a 10' overall length. It has a front deck area for cooler and water jugs. Dry weight is just over 400 lbs. No problem carrying everything necessary for a week of camping. Towing with a Sidekick my capacity is 1000 lbs. I can put a 2-bike rack on the tongue. No regrets at all, although it helps if you think and pack like a backpacker.

6823437181_26bf440711.jpg

6823437457_b2a2ef3b83.jpg

6823438203_ccabd57256.jpg

tclaremont

Observer
The tow capacity of the four door may be a stated 3500 lbs, but I hate towing more than about 1800-2000 with mine. Just not enough power getting to the wheels. Combined with so-so brakes and unfriendly aerodynamics and you have a recipe for unspectacular towing. The trailer I built above is perfect for the JK and my needs.

As for the $200 price mentioned above, it is for the stock trailer with 8 inch weenie wheels and toss away fenders. I had to add the fenders, new axle and wheels/tires. Still a great start for the price, though. Two were found on CL and one was a driveby on the side of the road. The best one of the three was only 100, and included the fiberglass top shown above.

java

Expedition Leader
I find that I will fill the trailer, so for me bigger isn't better because I will fill it and it gets heavier. Something to keep in mind. Also if you want to use it for utility type stuff having the bed be a bit wider than 4' is nice so drywall it plywood etc fit nicely.

kozaz

Thanks for all the info guys! I'm thinking I can get by with a 4 foot wide by 4-5 foot long trailer with 2 foot high sides. I really want to keep it light as possible.

Balzer

Adventurer
Your welcome, Mine is an odd size because I had 1 20ft stick of steel for the main frame, and wanted to use as much as possible so not to waste any of it. I think I ended up with a 3" long scrap after the frame was built, so it worked out well. The trailer tub is 1/2" narrower than my jeep tub. I havent weighed my trailer but its light enough to wheel it around the yard by 1 arm, its almost like a supersized wheel barrel LOL.

Box Rocket

Homebuilt trailer, 4x6' box. No regrets from me. Works just like I wanted for my needs. For me, if I need more than I can fit in the truck and trailer, it means I'm either going to be gone for too long, or I need to pack more effectively.

_MG_6416.jpg

_MG_6420.jpg

_MG_4056.jpg

_MG_4108.jpg

_MG_4095.jpg

WhiteRocks_01.jpg

WhiteRocks_02.jpg

truck_trailer2.jpg

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
The 'main' portion of the M416 is 4x6, the top a bit wider.

I have a fairly heavy lid on mine (made from ash lumber), and have an RTT on top.

As far as size, it's perfect. I usually have it about 1/2 full for a 10-12 day trip (that's when I can get groceries every day or two)

When going somewhere that I won't be close to stores, I still have a little extra room inside, even when carrying enough food and ice for 2 people for a week long trip.

I tow it with any of my Jeeps (CJ and TJ now, used to tow with the XJ before I sold it)

I have 31x10.5-15 tires on steel wheels, and had no problems towing it to Utah with my CJ. (OK, I wasn't the fastest guy over the divide on I-70, but I think my 32 year old CJ would have been just as slow without the trailer! :coffeedrink: )

I think that a 4x6 is a perfect size to tow behind any SWB rig.

TrailerProject034.jpg

rnArmy

Adventurer
Here's the write-up on my little trailer: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/...ype-trailer-ultimate-build-up-thread-1180456/

It's based on a little Harbor Freight type 4' trailer. I towed it to Moab and back (2200 miles round trip - bottom picture) loaded with camping gear, tools, etc. It's lightweight, and towed very nicely behind my four-cylinder TJ. A buddy and I are going to take the TJ and trailer to Alaska this May/June (ferry from Bellingham to Haines Alaska, then drive to Anchorage, Fairbanks, and then start heading east and eventually south back to WA state) and will be camping and such for the three weeks. You'd be suprised how much you can carry in one of these. Since going to Moab I've added the ammo can and the two smaller fuel cans. The TJ's tailgate clears both the ammo can (swings above) and clears the trailer's spare tire. I'm currently working on adding a 2" receiver tube to the trailer tongue to add more flexibility in how it's hooked up to the Jeep, and will add a little length to the trailer's tongue.

Even with these 205/75/15" tires, I have more clearance under the trailer's axle (about 2" if I remember right) than I do under the Dana 44 rear on the Jeep with 285/75/16" tires.

Attachments

• Pumpkin and Jeep trailer 320.1JPG.jpg
    Pumpkin and Jeep trailer 320.1JPG.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Pumpkin and Jeep trailer 321.1JPG.jpg
    Pumpkin and Jeep trailer 321.1JPG.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN0351..jpg
    DSCN0351..jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

REasley

Adventurer
utah157.jpg

We are very happy with our 4 x 5 trailer. It's logged many thousands of miles so far with no issues. It's 628 lbs dry, just under 800 lbs wet and was around 1100 lbs with a week's worth of food and gear when we first weighed it. We have since kicked out gear we weren't using, so the weight has fallen.

tclaremont

Observer
Having built both "large" and small trailers, I must say I am having more fun building the smaller one. There is more to challenge your design skills, and the fact that all the parts are lighter and easier to work with is a relief, too. As for the size once you are done, people tend to live within their limits for the most part, and you just learn to make do with what you have. Having a smaller trailer that is not a white-knuckle affair to tow, is easy to store, and generally costs less to build and operate are all compelling reasons to give a small trailer a try.

kozaz

Really great info on the length of trip and hauling capacity of the smaller trailers. Thanks Again!

FAW3

Adventurer
so the trailer limit is 2klbs, and is so low because of the very short wheel base of the jeep. Because of the weight distribution on the vehicle, combined with the very short wheel base, putting heavy loads on the hitch means your front bumper is being lifted, which is dangerous. SO dimensions aren't as important as much as the distribution on the trailer. We're on this forum, so the M416 and their Canadian counterparts are so popular. If you can find one, great. If not you want to use that as a base for your design.

So we're back to your original post. The M416 is a 4x6 design! It also has a 3500lb axle. It's going offroad, it could benefit from the extra strength, no sense in having a busted axle down the road. 4x6 is what you want, and you won't regret it. Any bigger and you're risking safety

I have a 4dr. JK...and stumbled onto a old Bantam trailer, very sim to a M416. Box is nominally 4x6. Tows like a dream...but the OEM short hitch length keeps you on your toes when backing up. I would not want any less of a box size. Think "outside the box"...beyond camping: I've used the Bantam to haul roofing/building supplies, motorcycles and other junk. Tailgate down 8' loads properly distributed are fine. With proper planning...a whole lot of camping gear and stuff will fit into a 4x6 box...and some room to spare. Also the general design all fits together nice....carrying weight limits, axle cap, wheel cap, tire loading and all the rest "fit" the jeep fine. I would not want a bigger trailer, nor a smaller one (based on use by a jeep type vehicle)....it's just about perfect.

Maine07jk

Adventurer
I am currently building a 3x6 to pull behind my JK. It will have the same tires that my JK has. (33's) I am hoping to finish the building portion Saturday. I will post up pics soon. I wanted something that the 3.8 would still pull even when loaded on and off road.

rnArmy

Adventurer
modified trailer tongue and Jeep.jpgmodified trailer tongue.jpg

Reference Post #24 (above);

I modified the tongue on my lil' adventure trailer. Here are some pictures. It's at an upholstery place now getting a liner with a lid made.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier