Best overall tire suited for Overlanding/Expo?

Let me just start out by saying that I have searched and searched countless hours on this site and a few others.

I am wondering what kind of tire works best for cross-country driving and also works well for harsh dirt roads in backcountry situations? All while having a Loaded up vehicle set on being out for a week or more.

I have a Jeep WJ soon to have an OME HD lift. I am now contemplating tires. I would like something good on the Highway(ie: low rolling resistance/noise), good on dirt trails, and of course mud situations. I would like to stay as close as possible to stock size(to keep rolling weight down), maybe plus size a few.

Stock WJ with 17" wheels is 235/65/17 which is about a 29" tire. I am leaning towards 245/70(75)/17 size.

Seems like ALOT of the sizes I would go with only come in E rated flavors. I figured E rated would ride WAY too harsh(stiff) for my liking. But is the toughness of 10ply what I want for backwoods roads? I was thinking 3ply sides is good enough. I was also figuring the "Load rating" of each tire would be something to consider.

I'm not new to Jeeps, only the Cross-country traveling side. I have an XJ that I use mostly for Rock/Mud. So I am used to the big lug,grippy side of offroad. I did have 31" BFG AT on the XJ for awhile and did great in snow/ice/rain, just not mud. Then I went to 33" BFG MT KM1's and did awesome in mud/rocks/snow, not so good in icy conditions.

Any input would help out a ton. I have to get some new rubber by July for a weeklong trip to Buena-vista.

I would hope this doesn't turn into a "BFG is way better, all others can suck it" thread. Real world experiences only please.

Phil

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Here's my thoughts on tires I have used. All of them were used in the same environments....

*BFG ATs....good tire for daily driving, wet conditions, snow and ice, and dirt/gravel roads and sand. Good for decent tire wear and quiet on the road. Bad at clay, slick or deep mud, wet vegetation like fields or swampy areas. Tread likes to fill up in fibrous environments. Once they were my main go to tire but not anymore. Used on Jeep ZJ, Comanche and Dodge Ram

*Pro-Comp Mud terrains...good in deep mud. Bad on snow, scary on ice, terrible tread wear, siping was only had half tread of depth, noisy as two cats in a dryer. Worse tire I've ever owned. Used on Dodge Ram

********* Cepek Fun Country IIs...great snow and ice tire, wet handling is excellent, long wearing (got over 50,000 miles on both sets), great on the Eastern rocks and on sandy beaches, good in moderate mud. Lots of full depth siping. Fairly quiet with a pleasant hum. Bad in deep mud or clay conditions sort of pricey at this moment. Used on a Dodge Ram.

*Dean Mud Terrian SXTs...Great in mud and clay, good in the sand, good in snow, good tread life (both sets got over 45,000 miles), decent price point. Fair on ice and wet conditions. Bad, they need a good rotation schedule to avoid cupping and get a bit noisy as they wear. Not currently available but a new version is supposed to be out soon. Used on a Jeep LJ and a Toyota Tundra.

*Cooper ST Maxx...great tire in the snow, great manners in clay shale and muddy environments, quiet tire for all it's capabilities. Haven't tried them in the sand yet. Full depth siping and nice side biters. Tire wear so far is exceptional. Fair on ice and under very wet conditions. Bad; these are very heavy tires. 285/75/16 variety of this tire weighs 61 lbs unmounted. Vehicles with marginal power will notice the weight. These are my current tires and it's looking like they'll be my new favorite tire. Currently riding under a Toyota Tundra.

Hope that helps some.

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Okay that thread is about 1 specific tire. I have never used that tire, but I have seen/driven a few trucks with those tires, and I will not ever own a truck with them on it if its my DD/highway driven truck. Sorry but that's my experience with them.

Why not? Too aggressive? Noise?

I don't think there is one tire that is going to be best overall. But a Mudterrain with siping and enough edges to work decent on a snowy road should be close.

owhiting

Supporting Sponsor
I have the Cooper STT and it has been an excellent tire so far and I have had no issues with it in the snow and ice. I have never been impressed with the BFG AT it has never been that good in the snow and they do not seem to stick all that well to slick rock in places like Moab. BFG's tri-guard side wall is not that tough either. I have Goodyear Dura-trac's on my F-250 and they are a great tire but my favorite for all around hard off road and every day use on my Land Rover has been the TrXus MT.

keezer37

Explorer
I like to use Tire Rack's Customer Surveys to narrow my choices. At least here you have a compilation of opinions so the wheat tends to separate from the chaff.

Revo II's I currently have are wearing fast and have lost a good bit of their snow/ice stopping ability at 20k.

I've moved away from E rated tires for rides sake. I know I don't need them for load and am starting to wonder about the necessity of needing them for sidewall damage. This would be dependent on advancements in tire technology which I'll look at when the time comes.

On the whole, when I weigh what surfaces I'm likely to be on the most, at what speeds, likely outcome, availability of assistance; mud/clay takes a back seat in the decision making process. Icy roads still get my highest pucker rating.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
After many months of internet searching I went with a set of 265/70/17C Goodyear Duratracs...this will be my first set of off road tires, but I did a lot of research and got feedback from some experienced guys on here. Plus they are rather aggressive but still are composed on the road. I think they are a good compromise between a mud and at tire. My tire/wheel combo ways 67 pounds....I am happy with that.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328453274.769890.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328453289.858109.jpg

Walker

Texas Wanderer
I also agree, the Goodyear Duratracs have been a truly All Terrain tire that has little or road noise and proven offraod ability. www.tirerack.com was a really helpful in my decision process. In the beginning I was look at the BFG KM2, then I read reviews and found the Duratrac was a better tire for my needs then the KM2...

After many months of internet searching I went with a set of 265/70/17C Goodyear Duratracs...this will be my first set of off road tires, but I did a lot of research and got feedback from some experienced guys on here. Plus they are rather aggressive but still are composed on the road. I think they are a good compromise between a mud and at tire. My tire/wheel combo ways 67 pounds....I am happy with that.

View attachment 84921

View attachment 84922

I've been on the fence about the Duratrac's as well. I just didnt like that every size in 17's up til 265/70/17 was E rated. I would rather have a 245/75 series tire, but I guess I could live with the 265/70. If it means I have to go up a few sizes, then thats what I might have to do to get a tire that I really want and feel safe with, then so be it.

I still have some time before the lift shows up so I can still change my mind up till I absolutely need tires.

You all have some good input, keep it coming.

tommudd

Explorer
I have over 37,000 on a set of 265-75-16 Duratracs , been through two winters so far, mud, rain etc and overall a great tire.
Had BFG ATs before and these are twice the tire as far as snow goes, been places in two wheel drive that the BFGs would of had to been locked in.
When this set goes, another set will go on

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I don't know of a truly all around tire. It is all about compromise and priorities. That said, I have been quite pleased with the Goodyear MT/R Kevlar tires.

magaw

Magaw
b80f60bb-4915-26f5.jpg

I've been curious about these: Chaparral m/t

jim65wagon

I'll throw in for the Cooper STMaxx's, my new go to tire. Miles better the the BFG All Terrain standard, and a bit better than the Cooper ST that I loved before. Quiet, durable, aggressive, streetable, it's the closest thing to a true All Terrain that I've ever seen. It is heavy though, so keep that in mind if you are underpowered....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online