Best overall tire suited for Overlanding/Expo?

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
I just picked up a set of these Pirelli Mud Scorpions, out of their Brazil factory
IMG_0083.jpg
IMG_0082.jpg
It initial impression, with a couple dozen off-tarmac miles on'm, is that they perform like the KM2s I run on other trucks. However, I have not air'd them down or had in any mud yet, but that is coming. Perhaps a tad noisier than KM2s but the truck they are on is soft top, so not fair comparison.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I was just in Utah last week and ran over all terrain types there were to find there including mud and snow. I was particularly worried about ascending Long Canyon to the top of the Canyonlands Mesa because I was well loaded and pulling my trailer. The Duratracs did fine and I never resorted to my locker in the uphill mud climbs. They have about 30K on them. As another data point, my buddy's heavily loaded Sequoia has low mileage BFG A/Ts on it and he did just fine too so a big plus for that all-terrain industry standard tire. On the trailer were some hand-me-down all season tires that came off of an FJ Cruiser and those tires turned into big muddy donuts, lacking any self cleaning ability to allow the mud to be flung off.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Hands down, ST MAXX. the best overall tire for an adventure/expedition style vehicle. I love them. and im going in for my second set this month!

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Hands down, ST MAXX. the best overall tire for an adventure/expedition style vehicle. I love them. and im going in for my second set this month!

I'll chime in for the Cooper S/T Maxx.
Outstanding all around performance and durability.

kojackJKU

As I think I stated here, or maybe the other thread about them, I got approx 70k out of my first set. Amazing life for such an aggressive tread.

SNOWDOZER

Adventurer
The Duratracs are a nice tire but one thing to think about is the terrain you will use the tire in. I know a few people that bought them and replaced them way to soon. They were running them in the sharp granite trails we have here in the sierras and chunked and sliced them pretty easily. I have General Grabber AT2 tires and love them, I think they have a stronger sidewall.

the59sound

Observer
Snowdozer have you run the at2 in snow if so how did they do? I'm looking to move from south Alabama to Colorado within the year and I had some at2 on a wrangler and they did ok down here. Now I have a Cherokee and I know the street tires I have won't do handle anything too well.

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Kojack, what tire pressure do you run on pavement to get such high mileage?

Snow dozer, that reputation is what kept me from getting DuraTracs. Eastern Washington is sharp stuff.

kojackJKU

I kept a consistant 30 psi in mine. any higher produced adverse handling on the JK. I figure it would be close to running 40 plus in a full size. I was amazed at the wear too. they could have gone longer but i got slack on the rotations and they wore choppy at the last 15k and I just tossed them when I installed the winters. I replaced my original SR-As with about 800 kms on them. got 3 flats, so I installed the st maxx. and my jeep just rolled up 125k on it now. so factor in about 45k - 50k on winters, that gives me 70-80k on the st maxx. at 30psi. they are the real deal!

The st maxx is a very tough tire too. I cannot recommend them enough.

Fundy Rider

Read the whole thread and really surprised not one mention of the cooper at3. Still in the build up stage (94 toy xtr a cab) and go back and forth from the st maxx bfg commercial traction ta and the at3.

For Overlanding not muddling or rock crawling I think you need a tire that works in all conditions but more importantly it has to survive which is one of the reasons I am hesitant about the cooper at3. Otherwise I think it traction wise is what I want in and adventure tire. Decent offroad and very good in all road conditions.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Dead Thread necromancer
XeharaClassic.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94