Wheel adapters on Chaser Trailer - Safe?

SoCal_80

Explorer
I recently purchased a new to me '07 AT Chaser with hubs and wheels for a Jeep. I will eventually end up buying the correct hubs, but in the mean time.....Is it safe to buy some adapters to run my 80 Series Land Cruiser wheels and 285/75/16's ?

Thank you in advance!
Sean

orangeTJ

Explorer
Shouldn't be a problem. I've seen other Chasers with wheel spacers. I almost bought a used Chaser, and it was running spacers.

I'd get as thin of a spacer as is available... in fact, call up Adventure Trailers and get their recommendation on brand of spacer to use. Maybe they even have some.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Sean it's safe so long as the adapters are torqued correctly to the hubs and the wheels are torqued correctly to the adapters.

The issue you face is you now have a five bolt pattern on your hubs and your 80 series has a 6 bolt pattern. You would have to use a two piece adapter to make this work, there is a third set of nuts to be torqued correctly, and two piece adapters are expensive.

The replacement hubs are easy to switch out and less expensive. I'd go with new hubs. Add new bearings and seals and your ready to go.

SoCal_80

Explorer
Sean it's safe so long as the adapters are torqued correctly to the hubs and the wheels are torqued correctly to the adapters.

The issue you face is you now have a five bolt pattern on your hubs and your 80 series has a 6 bolt pattern. You would have to use a two piece adapter to make this work, there is a third set of nuts to be torqued correctly, and two piece adapters are expensive.

The replacement hubs are easy to switch out and less expensive. I'd go with new hubs. Add new bearings and seals and your ready to go.

Thank you Martyn. Looks like I will need to call you later this week. Thank you again

ddog45

Adventurer
I have one piece spacers that I had built for me here in Denver. I went from 5 on 4.5 jeep wheels to 5 on 150mm toyota wheels. Im happy with this set up. 10,000 miles and no problems. Pm me if you would like contact info for the company I used.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
As long as you use the proper thread locker on them and torque you should be fine, just check them every few hundred miles. But personally I would just run the current setup until you get the matching hubs.

KenB1010

Spacers will work, but the cost of the hubs that you want will be about the same price. Installation only takes about 30 minutes per side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior