New guy starting his Burban build

Calplaya

Adventurer
haha yeah thats true, and i hope others can learn from my mistakes. ;) well i just got done applying the fourth coat, im not gunna bother taking pictures since it looks pretty much the same as every other time i posted pics after freshly applying the paint. il post pics of what it looks like dry tho, but it will have to wait till Sunday since im going out of town to visit my parents for the weekend.

xpndbl3

Adventurer
John Deere Blitz black sprayed out of a cheapie spray gun is single stage and MUCH less labor intensive than what you're doing and has better results. Any reason you didn't just buy cheap single stage black and do that with a $35 harbor freight gun?

Calplaya

Adventurer
a few reasons really. one, I just learned about spraying rustoleum in one of my older hot rod mags (musta skimmed over it before without even realizing it). Another is i kinda wanted to see if this way worked. And finally, its winter and i have no where really to spray. My buddy wasnt too fond of the idea of overspray in his shop, even if i built a temporary spray booth, which would take an even greater investment. I want to keep the paint job on the cheap, even if it requires more manual work up front. plus, ive never sprayed a car/truck before and didnt want to get it wrong lol, if the roll on would work just as well.

xpndbl3

Adventurer
I'm just asking because I've seen these on a few other boards and within 3-6 months they were faded/chalky looking and between roller, masking tape, etc their final cost after excessive sandpaper use and 40+ hours of time was basically the price of 2 gallons of single stage black, which should hold up for years instead.

Calplaya

Adventurer
theres also a few hot rodders who have used it with great success. one dude who did a 64 Corvair has updates up to 3 years, and the paint looks just as glossy and nice as it did when he buffed it after applying the paint. If you do it right i think the potential is immense. but yeah, again, the spraying thing is just sort of something i cant do at this time. in the future i will probably go that route if i buy a hot rod or something to tinker with as well. but for this old beater (which wont be so much of a beater when im done mind you) even if the results do get chalky and fade, its not a huge deal. Ive got all winter to waste anyway since im a seasonal railroad builder so time really isnt that much of an issue lol. :p and if it does get ugly later in its life, il post that here as well, so if someone else is thinking of this method, they can know what to expect.

Calplaya

Adventurer
Alright, got back on it today. Orderd the new rocker panels since il soon be done painting. Hope those will get here soon. Anyway, took a couple pics of how the paint looked dry, not too bad but the orange peel was very prevalent (more noticable by touch then by sight if im honest.) so I began wet sanding with 800 grit sand paper today, and I have to admit, this time around the wet sanding is a lot easier then the first time around, cant quite describe it, but it is. :p Anyway, here are some pictures for you guys! :D

420450_3469155929288_1282770040_33545861_1954311951_n.jpg

427018_3469156169294_1282770040_33545862_1352515145_n.jpg

432100_3469156769309_1282770040_33545863_772733503_n.jpg

426465_3469157609330_1282770040_33545865_257299680_n.jpg

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Calplaya the truck is looking Bling Bling!:Wow1: I also noticed that you have some rot in your inner fenders just like I had. Those bolts wont remove easy, so I recommend just putting a patch over them that is held in place with some self cutting screws.:ylsmoke:

Calplaya

Adventurer
Calplaya the truck is looking Bling Bling!:Wow1: I also noticed that you have some rot in your inner fenders just like I had. Those bolts wont remove easy, so I recommend just putting a patch over them that is held in place with some self cutting screws.:ylsmoke:

Thats a great idea! I was just thinking about welding in a patch of steel, but your way sounds a lot more economical (both money and time wise haha) because i was planning on spraying in bed liner there anyway when i was done. Why make it pretty when its just gonna be covered up with that haha? :p Thanks!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I tried to remove the bolt that holds the inner fender in place and it just broke off. :Wow1: So I took some galvanized roof flashing and made a 4 ply layer that I glued with some construction adhesive and screwed in place with a bunch of self tapping screws. After I bedlined the whole inner fender. It worked perrrrrrrrrrfect!:)

Calplaya

Adventurer
I tried to remove the bolt that holds the inner fender in place and it just broke off. :Wow1: So I took some galvanized roof flashing and made a 4 ply layer that I glued with some construction adhesive and screwed in place with a bunch of self tapping screws. After I bedlined the whole inner fender. It worked perrrrrrrrrrfect!:)

haha I like! afterall, who says it has to be pretty? Especially if its gunna be covered by that stuff, right? Plus, I dont ever plan on selling my Burban :p OH! How long were the screws that you used?

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I just used some screws that I had kicking around. I think they were 3/4 inch long not including the self tapping part. Since I am a carpenter I am always using these backyard construction fixing methods.:Wow1: Everybody laughs until they see how it holds up after years of use. I mean really, why weld an inner fender? The metal is so thin that you are more likely to burn a hole than you are getting a decent bond especially if the metal is rusty...:ylsmoke:

Erik N

Adventurer
Wet sanding a 'Burban! I can barely wash mine without getting tired, it's so huge. I have wet sanded a few paint jobs, I don't envy you at all. :bowdown:

Calplaya

Adventurer
I just used some screws that I had kicking around. I think they were 3/4 inch long not including the self tapping part. Since I am a carpenter I am always using these backyard construction fixing methods.:Wow1: Everybody laughs until they see how it holds up after years of use. I mean really, why weld an inner fender? The metal is so thin that you are more likely to burn a hole than you are getting a decent bond especially if the metal is rusty...:ylsmoke:

oh nice. Yeah i was thinking about welding it but like you said, the idea of it not bonding and burning a bigger hole in the fender was a definate thought. I think I will try the screwing method instead haha! :p Hey, nothing wrong with backyard fixing methods, especially if they work! ;)

Calplaya

Adventurer
Wet sanding a 'Burban! I can barely wash mine without getting tired, it's so huge. I have wet sanded a few paint jobs, I don't envy you at all. :bowdown:

Hahaha, yeah, I am kinda wishing I didnt have such a huge vehicle to wet sand now haha :p this is the second time wet sanding it, but I;m not going to paint until tomorrow after I pick up some tack cloths to wipe down the metal after using mineral spirits the first time lol. But boy oh boy, this is a definate challenge haha :p But Im sure it will be well worth it when im done lol!

Calplaya

Adventurer
Well I wiped it down today with a tack cloth and applied the fifth layer of paint, made it a little bit thicker too cuz im hoping it will be the final layer of paint. usually i thin the paint out with a 50/50 mixture of paint and mineral spirits, and when you stir it you should have 3 seconds of paint running off the stick before it becomes drips, but this layer i did it so it was 4 seconds before it dripped, so the paint is a little thicker. Hope it dries nicely. Didnt take pictures tho. Still havnt received my new rocker panels yet, beginning to worry. I want to have those cut and installed before i move to Colorado at the end of the month, so time is getting short. Anyway, thats just the quick update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles