New guy starting his Burban build

Calplaya

Adventurer
Hi guys, ive kinda posted in one of the suburban topics a couple of times, but thought maybe you would like to see what im doing. I got an 89 Chevy Suburban that i plan on really decking out for camping/fishing and emergency/bug out applications. I have some wild ideas in the mix, but we will see if they pan out. After i bought it i took it for a spin down some nearby muddy roads to test the 4x4, i couldnt get the thing stuck no matter what i tried. I even went thru a ton in 2 wheel drive that i never would have made it in in the old F150 I had. Gotta love all that extra weight on the rear tires! Heres what Ive got so far.

This was right after the test drive testing out the 4X4:
395263_3252848361734_1282770040_33456920_1361139019_n.jpg

getting ready to take off the running boards. I know it dosnt look like it, but even here it has 2 inch spacer blocks in it
396417_3252848641741_1282770040_33456921_1633517217_n.jpg

Me and my buddy Paul just finished grinding off the old running boards.
425443_3252849441761_1282770040_33456924_725412515_n.jpg

Now Im getting it ready for redneck rust repair and paint. I have a ton of ideas in store for this bad boy, including a compartment setup i can sleep on (much like the set up camper toppers on some of the trucks on this forum). Also planning on putting on a good used set of 33x13.5 inch off road tires from one of the secondhand dealers around here too. shouldnt cost too much that way and give me even more clearance and utitlity. Hopeing this next weekend get booking on the redneck rust repair i mentioned earlier, and also maybe get to cracking on the paint. Il be documenting the whole project if you guys wish to see it :D

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
of course we want to follow your project...
it is alway nice to see what folks in different parts of the country are up to
even better are some trip reports with your rig!

nice burb. good luck with the build. one question. you said that it had " 2" spacer blocks in it". i'm hoping just in the back. you do not want blocks in the front. i was unsure by your the way it was worded. not trying to be the safety cop, just don't want any one getting hurt.

Calplaya

Adventurer
thanks for the support guys, today Im going to begin sanding down the beast for the prep work for painting. You all may think I'm nuts, but I've been reading alot about otehr people having tremendous success with rolling on Rustoleum paint. It sounded kinda fishy to me so I did a ton of research on it, and apparantly as long as you do it right and with enough patience, it will look pretty darn good and cost well under 100 bucks, and generally closer to 50 bucks. I figured even if it dosnt turn out quite as nice as I hope, I havnt lost too much except maybe 100 bucks and some time, and its bound to look better then a rattle can paint job lol. So if you guys are curious to see how a complete amateur at painting anything does at rolling on paint and at the after effects of doing it, stay tuned to this thread. And if it turns out like crap, you will know what not to do lol! :p

Oh and yeah, It has only 2 inch spacers in the back, even tho its hard to tell. Not in the front. Does anyone know of a cheap way to lift this bad boy at least 3 inches without breaking the bank? So im thinking well under a thousand dollars here, maybe its not possible, just thought Id ask.

Thanks for checking out the thread!

Rot Box

Explorer
You guy's and your Suburbans make really make me want to start a project :coffeedrink: Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Does anyone know of a cheap way to lift this bad boy at least 3 inches without breaking the bank? So im thinking well under a thousand dollars here, maybe its not possible, just thought Id ask.

The Tough Country EZ ride front springs are pretty cheap and very popular ($350ish). You could combine those with some good shocks for the front. As for the rear maybe you could track down some used 3/4ton springs and add eliminate a lot of sagging once you load it down with gear. You may have to add a short block depending on how high you lift the front but that would probably be alright if the block was steel. Hope this helps.

Little Red

Adventurer
Nice burban, looking forward to the build

Also planning on putting on a good used set of 33x13.5 inch off road tires

I would strongly advise against buying 13.5'' tires, it will reduce your off road capability unless you plan on driving in sand most of the time, also it will significantly lower your MPG and although 33" tires should fit your burban without a lift the wide 13.5's will rub. And since your suburban is a half ton it is sure going to cost you problems in the future.
I would recommend 33x10.5 or the metric equivalent (255x85)

If you need any ideas check out my built tread (link in my signature)

Calplaya

Adventurer
haha glad to help the inspiration lol! :D Awesome ideas with the lifting, I'll definitely be looking into your suggestions! thanks a bunch!

Calplaya

Adventurer
I guess i didnt even think about that, just the cool factor lol. My buddy has 12.5 inch wide tires on his and they seem to be working awesome for him, he can go more places in his setup then i can, thats for sure. I just thought maybe 13.5 tires would work even better, but i see your points. right now they are only 10.5 wide, so do you think going to the 12.5 or even 11.5 would be too much still? I know they look like crap on it for sure right now, but i also know that skinnier tires help in pulling too, so thats a definite consideration too.

bftank

Explorer
i would suggest running a similar tire to what everyone else is running until you get a better understanding of what your capabilities are in the burb. if 33x12.5 work for your bud they will work for you. i wouldn't suggest going any bigger without a gearing change.

fenders aren't the big concern with 13.5's its the turning radius and rubbing against your leafs that will get you.

what kinda driving are you going to do? mud, rocks, long distance, daily driver, everything?

are the tires that are on it bad?

you will end up with a much better rig if you perfect what it is stock before you modify it. i.e. get the most ground clearance, suspension travel, etc.

having a plan in place can make it cheaper to. i can't tell you how much $ i wasted on stuff i thought i wanted.

that having been said, if your stock tires are shot, and your suspension bushings are still in good condition, 33's would be a good mod for a near stock suburban. something in a mud/allterrain flavor. with a set of chains for back up.

Calplaya

Adventurer
yeah its pretty much going to be my daily driver/expo vehicle. since it is as reliable and everything as it is and i can drive it year round, Im going to sell my Lincoln so i dont have two vehicles to worry about. I heard that 33s are about as big as you want to go for a tire change without having to regear the burban and it will also minimalize wear and tear on things like CV joints and U joints etc. yeah my current tires are nearly shot, but even so i was still able to go thru some wicked terrain in 2 wheel drive that my buddy in his newer 4 wheel drive 04 silverado pickup was really struggling with, again, that extra weight on the back tires really comes in handy. But the fact is they are getting kind of dangerous to keep rolling on, so a replacement set is in short order.

Ok, now off to continue sanding my burban down lol! Il take some pics of the after and post them up here a bit later too ;)

Calplaya

Adventurer
Hey guys, just an update on the Burban. I dont have a power sander, at this point i think it would be a great idea, but this is so far what ive gotten done in like 3 or 4 hours of intense hand sanding.

me with the burban a weeks ago, just a pic to remind you of sort of what we are starting with really lol
375875_2625430156671_1282770040_33159476_839592972_n.jpg

and the pics of what i got done so far....long ways from being done lol :p
426357_3289427196182_1282770040_33471870_1279974377_n.jpg

400159_3289427716195_1282770040_33471871_1988226052_n.jpg

395845_3289428276209_1282770040_33471872_1374785737_n.jpg

427167_3289428756221_1282770040_33471873_2000826974_n.jpg

402302_3289429476239_1282770040_33471874_1528766899_n.jpg

Tomorrow I will keep on working on it, hope to get it to the point that on Friday I can hopefully lay some paint down :D

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
You can probably get a power sander for $10 at a pawn shop, or $29 at Lowes etc. if you do buy one, get a "random orbital" sander that takes the 5" round discs. Probably want to use 240 or 280 grit for the really ugly spots, and then 400 for final passes.

Calplaya

Adventurer
I took your advice and went to one of our pawn shops here and found a pretty nice one for 10 bucks, maybe il take a pic to show ya haha. its pretty neat, its one of those ones that takes the long strips and sands in either a back and forth motion, but it also has an orbital feature. pretty nifty for ten bucks! anyway, after I got it one of my buddies came over before i had a chance to test it and hes looking at buying a new Wrangler so he asked if id come and inspect it and help with the test drive. anyway, we came back, had dinner and started talking and next thing you knew its dark out, so not much done today. But tomorrow il put that new sander thru its paces for sure!

Calplaya

Adventurer
I found some rocker panels for this build (wasnt originally going to replace them, but i figure, im doing all of this work, might as well do it right lol) and anyway, was wondering if someone could helpo clear the confusion. this website im going to post below has rocker panels, and 4 door rocker panels etc. Since the whole length has to be replaced, do I need the 4 door one? Im assuming the other ones offered for certain doors are the ones people only buy if those are problem areas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94