Jeff's Cargo Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Great idea with the rear stabilizer jacks!
I work at a sign shop and the perforated tube is everwhere,
I am going to steal that ideafor my M101A2.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
It's coming along nicely Jeff, can't wait to see the end result.

Are you planning to ditch your FWC, or keep both and use one or the other based on the type of trip?

Billy000_1

Can you tell me what parts you utilized to swap out the trailer lock to a conventional lock on the side door?
I am in the process of converting a trailer myself...just started yesterday and found your site. I am particularly interested in the interior look. Any way you could show closer pics?
Thanks,
Tyler

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
It's coming along nicely Jeff, can't wait to see the end result.

Are you planning to ditch your FWC, or keep both and use one or the other based on the type of trip?

So far it is looking like they will suit different needs at different times. The trailer will be for a base camp style of camping and then use the truck for excursions.
And well, you know what I use the FWC for! I think Vic will like the trailer more than the FWC.

Jeff

Last edited:

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
Can you tell me what parts you utilized to swap out the trailer lock to a conventional lock on the side door?
I am in the process of converting a trailer myself...just started yesterday and found your site. I am particularly interested in the interior look. Any way you could show closer pics?
Thanks,
Tyler

The RV door lock came from here: http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-locks/trimark-lock-rv.htm
One word of caution is that they don't come with any instructions. Just take your time and make templates and measure three times.
DSCN0023.jpg This picture is of the outside. The plate behind the handle is to accomodate for the lack of door thickness. It would have worked, but it would have shifted the strike bolt too far from the door's exterior stop/trim.
DSCN0024.jpg This picture is of the interior handle.
DSCN0026.jpg This picture is of the edge mortise with the cover plate removed.

Make sure the lock is for the thickness of your door.

Jeff

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Great job so far...really enjoying the progress!

Those type door locks are a real pain...you did a clean job.

Pat

java

Expedition Leader
The perforated tube is awesome. Any idea where to get it? My local metal shorts place doesn't have it.

ZR2nit

Adventurer
I'm liking where you are heading. Great job. It never ceases to amaze me of what people do on this site for trailers. Subscribed

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
It's ALIVE!

DSCN0037.jpg

Maiden voyage today. Took the trailer for a spin in the mountains today. Just asphalt, no dirt.
Tows fantastic. Brakes are ok, I will adjust the brakes tomorrow. I like very good brakes.
The springs are a little too soft. I think I will first try adding an ad-a-leaf, over load spring and standing the shocks more toward vertical.

DSCN0034.jpg
This is why I chose the size trailer I did. Nice and tucked behind the truck.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94