Jeff's Cargo Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
2011-07-30_13-02-09_247.jpgOk, so here she is day one. A used Haulmark 5" X 10" Vee nose.Exactly what I was looking for.Big plans for this one, so off we go.Jeff

Last edited:

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
2011-08-13_14-14-16_982-4.jpg

So first thing I did was install two sliding windows and removed the cargo lock from the side door and installed and RV door latch.
Also added the exterior side light.
Already getting excited with tons of ideas.
Jeff

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
IMGP0947.jpg
So then I cut off the original trailer hitch and installed a 2 1/2" seamless square tube to an added crossmember below the trailer. I removed the original trailer jack and install a swing up jack.
I could not find a tank holder that I like for the plastic propane tanks, so I made a base plate and rack out of aluminum.

Jeff

Attachments

• IMGP0948.jpg
    IMGP0948.jpg
    509.1 KB · Views: 372

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
IMGP0950.jpg
So next to go was the pathetic suspension and axel.
I installed a 3500lb axel with electric brakes from Red neck.
I ordered the axel to allow the use of hub centric spacers. The axel was the correct bolt pattern, but the wheels I am using are hub centric to match mt Tacoma.
Install all new hangers and shackels and Monroe trailer shocks. I will change these later.
The leaf springs are from my Tacoma.

Jeff

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
IMGP0943.jpgIMGP0945.jpg
I added some of Sierra 4X4 Trailer's 10 steel fenders and built "wings" for the sides.
They are platforms that I made from 1/8" steel tread plate, 1 1/2" .120 wall tubing and angle steel.
They are to stand on, sit, store stuff and most of all, keep rocks and trees from knocking off my fenders.
Wheels and tires are the same as on my Tacoma.
Jeff

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
2011-10-30_14-18-44_623.jpg2011-10-30_14-19-34_301.jpg
So this is the start of the kitchen in the rear. There will be a wall dividing this area from the interior of the trailer.
When done, the trailer will have a complete solar charging system, forced air furnace, water heater, exterior shower, fold and tumble bed from my FWC and a entertainment center at the front. Shooting for around 35 gallons of water storage.
Just finished a new rear door for it. Wait for the pictures or it won't make sense.
More to follow. Shooting for So Cal Desert Rendezvous completion.

Jeff

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
What's the end trailer going to look like?

As you can see above is the start of the rear kitchen. ARB on my pull out, sink with hot and cold water.
I made a custom bi-fold rear door. On one leaf has a fold out shelf that the stove sets on. I"ll do pictures tomorrow.
There will be a dividing wall with upper cabinets for storage.
Jeff

Last edited:

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
There is no space. It is an optical illusion created by the old body undercoating.
You are seeing the difference between the old and new fender.
The last thing I am going to do is a vinyl wrap with some sort of picture.
Looking for the perfect graphic now.
Jeff

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
IMGP0964.jpg
Here is a pic of the completed suspension change. I moved the axel toward the rear 1".
The original axel installation was about 3/4" out of square.
The black you see is under coating from the original fender location.

Jeff

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
IMGP0949.jpg

This is the old axel and springs.
Dumped the drop axel for a straight 3500 lb and Tacoma springs.
All of the spring hangers and brackets came from Ruff Stuff Specialties.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles