1st Gen 4runner + Flip-pac

JasonRedwood

Explorer
I decided to start my build thread in the yota section rather than in the pop-up camper section due to other modifications that will happen after the first can-o-worms is sealed up.

Current state of vehicle:
Nothing special... yet
1989 4runner 3.0 cargo version----->(no back seats or useable side panels).
1.5 BJ spacers and upgraded torsion bars in the front.
Zuk mod in the rear with 12" 125lbs helper springs in the rear.
Some one cut stole my catalytic converter in broad day light so now I have, temporarily, a straight pipe to cherry bomb.
Cheap cold air intake.
Softtopper top

Future mods:
4.88 gears and lockers front and back.
moveable winch mounts and winch
longtravel IFS and deaver leafs springs in the rear.
upgraded disk brakes
3.4 V6 conversion

Flip-pac camper shell(currently in process):)
custom barn doors
Swing out tire carrier
Bumper and floor mod to fold out into steps

This is in Joushua tree over a year ago but still pretty much what it looks like

The 4runner at my buddy's shop with Flip-pac placed on top.

The Flip-pac rails curve down just on top of the runner rails. Looks nice and I think with the way we are planning on mounting everything together we should have a nice seal and decent look.

Our plan is to run thick walled 1" square aluminum down the rails. We are thinking that riveting 2" flat, sandwiching the flippac camper rail between the flat and the square will hold up. Oh and after sandwiching this all together using resin and fiberglass to for more strength and a better finish. Attaching aluminum L brackets to correspond with the factory holes, and notching out the flippac rails will give me access to bolt the flip-pac down. Below is a picture of my softtoper rail in place where the custom rail will go for reference.

Just a dry fit with aluminum spacers and camper flipped over.

I took a template of the original camper and cut out the shape from the front wall of the flip-pac.
When the flip-pac is sitting flush on the 4runner, this hole will actually be straddling about 1/4 of the highest area of the cab. We plan on retaining the original camper shell's front mounting system into the Flip-pac mounting system. Using a clip system and bolts, as well as fiberglass we will make the transition a nice one.

Progress might be a little slow on this build due to work and my buddy's shop is 1.5 hours away from me, thats with no traffic...
If you are into checking out any of his other work click here
http://sbhancock.com/
He does some real nice work in southern cali.

Please feel free to comment or ask questions.:beer:

Last edited:

ab1985

Explorer
I know many people, myself included, want to see a finished 4Runner/Flip-pac combo. Good luck!

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Looks like you are off to a good start! When your done you should have one nice ride and camper. Keep up the good work, I cant wait to see how you seal up the front to the cab of the truck.

Diese l4-Runner

I am glad someone else is doing a build as well. I am also curious to see how you seal up the fron to the cab of the truck. I want to do something of a flip-pac as well. I have a 86 4runner that I am going to swap a 86 toyota turbo diesel from a truck into that needs to be done before anything else.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
lookin good man. keep up the good work! I'm hoping to get a good amount of glass on mine this sunday.
Brass-
What kind of glass are you going with? I think Im pretty set on West Sytem's products.
After reading other threads and websites most info points towards them. They got an awesome customer service department as well.
I emailed them one day and by the end of the next day a rep called me back, left a detailed message answering all my questions. AND said to call him back if I had any more questions.
I was surprised just you dont really see any sort of quality customer service any more.

ps good luck with the glassing this weekend bud.

Brass-
What kind of glass are you going with? I think Im pretty set on West Sytem's products.
After reading other threads and websites most info points towards them. They got an awesome customer service department as well.
I emailed them one day and by the end of the next day a rep called me back, left a detailed message answering all my questions. AND said to call him back if I had any more questions.
I was surprised just you dont really see any sort of quality customer service any more.

ps good luck with the glassing this weekend bud.

I was just gonna go to the local boat shop and pick up some of their stuff (my mom worked there for 15 years). I have a couple books on fiberglass repair that I have been reading.

I kinda play things fast and loose.. but things usually work out for me. haha.

I hope everything works out in my favor this weekend.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I think Im pretty set on West Sytem's products.

I would strongly encourage you both to call West/Gougeon and explain to them what you are doing, and the loads and forces involved. I think you would be much better off going with Pro-Set over standard West 105/207 resins as you will need something with some elasticity in it. Gougeon has lots of different resins that are not advertised that may be a better match. West is great for building unyielding structures, but it is brittle.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Thanks Bill, Ill give them a call.

Edit:
Just spoke to Don at West Systems this morning.
I had sent him a link to this thread so he could get an idea of what I am trying to accomplish.
Don suggested using their G-Flex system in combination with their liquid version of the accompanying resin.(honey consistency)

Last edited:

JasonRedwood

Explorer
lil progress

Saturday I did a little more trimming on the flip-pac the front of the og 4runner top.
We were really happy with the dry fit.

This will be the position of the camper in the end.

You can see the lack of light showing through here. After the weather stripping I think the bottom of the sleeping platform will be just right.

Heres a shot with the 4runner rim sitting in place that will be bonded to the flip-pac.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonredwood/6911197469/]

I plan on ordering the West System G-Flex resin, fiberglass, and filler this week. Hoping to get some glass done in the next few weeks.

ab1985

Explorer
Loving the updates and pics - keep them coming! All your fellow 1st gen owners are cheering you on!:victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles