Thread: 917af pictures so far

That looks great, I hope you have miles of fun in your new truck - I wish I was close to being at the same stage as you.
    Iain
    Brisbane, Australia
    Land Rover Defender 110
    Unimog U1250
    Unimog Central

Thanks
    ia was looking at your unimog and saw your chairs, do you have contact details for manufacturer? We also have faily limited storage but I do wonder if its like work vans the bigger you buy the the more equipment the guys put in them.
    We still have lots to do on truck but it was good to get out and try it. I am hoping it will inspire me to get on with the rest, good news is its back to fabrication and welding which is more my thing than plumbing and electrics!
    I look forward to details if you have them.
    cheers
    ian

Hi Ian, we got our from: http://www.jandrguram.com/

We looked at various manufacturers.

http://www.britishcampaignfurniture....ducts?id=11346

http://www.original-furniture.co.za/

http://www.melvillandmoon.com/roorkh...tructions.html

The guys in India were by far the most helpful, and best overall price we could find with the cost of shipping over to Australia, and the quality is just superb.

Regarding storage, I have found that we make do with whatever we have, my Land Rover 110 is big enough for extended camping trips, with all the tools and spares necessary, but then the Discovery D1 was also big enough for a 2 week remote area camping trip with even more spares and tools, and that has a lot less space than the 110. I think it's true, the more space you have, the more stuff you carry. I know Charlie carries more spares, tool and stuff in his U500 Unicat than a flatbed version of my truck could legally carry as he has the space and the load capacity.
    Iain
    Brisbane, Australia
    Land Rover Defender 110
    Unimog U1250
    Unimog Central

Weighed the truck again with full water tank, main fuel tank and all fittings at 6880 kgs, this means we should be within 7500kg limit quite a relief!

Well done - weight has been my biggest concern since finding out what other people's campers have weighed in at - nothing worse than doing all the work only to find out you need to buy a bigger chassis just to carry your camper.
    Iain
    Brisbane, Australia
    Land Rover Defender 110
    Unimog U1250
    Unimog Central

I had enough of driving overloaded 3.5t and 7.5t van and so found a merc 1823 with a 5m box on the back. The box is small and the GVW is high and so I can pretty much put what I want in the back and not have to worry about weight. It's a relief after plenty of overheated brakes, broken leaf springs, burnt clutches, etc. The 18t GVW comes with other problems but being overloaded is thankfully not one of them!
    http://jimthetruck.blogspot.co.uk/
    Mercedes 1823 4x2
    ex brinks cash-in-transit truck

quote.01.jpgquote.011.jpgquote.012.jpgquote.013.jpgquote.014.jpgquote.015.jpg
    some more pictures off for MOT test tomorrow so we will see what i have missed!

That looks great - so where is you off to first?
    Iain
    Brisbane, Australia
    Land Rover Defender 110
    Unimog U1250
    Unimog Central

Oh we really pushed the boat out we got road legal and drove about 100miles to see relatives parked in the farm yard and drank to much wine! On the way back the glass fuel filter bowl came loose and we had a small moment. I cant remember why I had taken it off or why I then failed to tighten it back up. Any way not really what I needed with a bit of a head ache this morning.
    Truck went well, commercial trucks here are speed limited to 56 mph so we were able to get past them and it cruises very well at 60 -62 so all in all very pleased,

I have two Facet electric pumps for my twin tanks so I can transfer fuel between the two through water traps and filters. It will also makes bleeding the fuel system a breeze. I have the same set-up on my Discovery, when I change the fuel filters, i just switch on the pump, open up the bleed screws and wait for the fuel to come out. Much better than pumping by hand
    Iain
    Brisbane, Australia
    Land Rover Defender 110
    Unimog U1250
    Unimog Central

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast