917af pictures so far

canals1164

Observer
IMG_0387.jpgIMG_0388.jpgIMG_0426.jpgIMG_0427.jpgIMG_0434.jpgIMG_0437.jpgView attachment 85112IMG_0441.jpgIMG_0442.jpg
sorry not very good uploading pics, they show our 917 just before christmas as it arrived. We have now constructed sub frame from aluminium and mounted on three rubber mountings. Last weekend we fitted the composit body pannels and windows. Now for the less exciting bits for a few weeks.

Last edited:

canals1164

Observer
here are the latest pictures the best is the ticket showing ticket at 5450 kgs with cabin new tanks and generator so I guess I might well end up below 7500kgs I have to now decide how much water is reasonable I am thinking two 150l tanks will be plenty. I have a total of 400l of fuel and 200l of waste water tanks now built in. I only had 75l of fuel in tank when over weigh bridge.
Good news is my wallet wont add much to gvw at this rate!IMG_0452.jpgIMG_0447.jpgIMG_0450.jpgIMG_0451.jpgIMG_0452.jpg

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Hi canals, would love to see more photos, but need a bit more explanation of what we are looking at - is that s single 400lt fuels tank, or do you have two 200lt tanks. Are you going to run single tyres or duals at the back? Is this truck 4wd or 2wd.

canals1164

Observer
Iain

I have 120 in main tank and an auxilary tank with 280 for fuel, the truck is 4wd ex fire truck so good ratios red line at 70mph. It is an automatic 4 speed with 4wd it has low ratio and diff locks so I think quite a good spec for the job. I wanted a unimog but even though I loved the ex military 1300 i tried I thought it just wasnt going to be fast enough for motorway work.
It is on 22.5 duals and I have allowed room for super singles all round, however due to the 8 stud rims they may well be out of reach budget wise. I can always fit some after a year, I think it unlikerly that we will get further than spain this year so I dont think leaving on the duals will matter.
I will take more pics this week end once I have sprayed the lower body work and made another door frame, as always I will run out of time,isnt it funny how you loose so much time sat on side of work shop looking and thinking of solutions to the next problem!

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Thanks for the explanation - looks like a good truck for your needs.

I can understand completely about spending more time thinking about how to do things than actually doing them. In the beginning, I would make things, then end up changing or even re-doing thing completely because how it works in reality is different from what I imagined.

Now what I do is start a section of work - then make cardboard mock ups, let the mock up sit there for a week whilst I carry on with something else, so I can look at it and think some more about it. If often find it changes then, sometimes just a subtle change, ofen I scrap the whole thing and start again. Then if I am happy, I start to make it, but before I get to the point of welding, gluing or in permanently, I stop again, and carry on with other things, and when I think I'm happy with it, I carry on and finish it. If I have any doubts about it being the right way to do it, I don't start work, just leave it to think some more. Something it is weeks before I am happy with a particular solution, sometime just a few days.

The rear storage boxes on my truck have been a source of concern for almost a year, so no work was done on them, but I finally ame up with a good method of creating the hatch covers, adding some extra reinforcing, and making a skid plate - now I'm happy and I'll get them finished this week.

Good luck with your truck.

canals1164

Observer
IMG_0489.jpgIMG_0485.jpgIMG_0486.jpgIMG_0487.jpgIMG_0488.jpg
More pictures showing how the cabin is coming on I have now fitted most of mainitems and plumbing so now moving on to completeing electrics. Hours seem to just disapear with the detail. The hatch in the last photo is under floor and will hold chargers and invertor in one side and diesel water heater in the other.
Have now sent photos and change of use to DVLA so we will see if the paper work is easy to change from Fire Engine to Camper Van.

mervifwdc

Adventurer
You seem to be coming along well! Thanks for the extra photos, you will find it's good to take loads of photos to document it even for yourself in a few years to rememeber where each wire or pipe goes....

canals1164

Observer
IMG_0530.jpgIMG_0531.jpgIMG_0533.jpg
some poor pics from phone of our first night, we didnt go far as not road legal yet, all worked as expected and very comfotable considering it was minus 3 out side.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
That looks great, I hope you have miles of fun in your new truck - I wish I was close to being at the same stage as you.

canals1164

Observer
Thanks
ia was looking at your unimog and saw your chairs, do you have contact details for manufacturer? We also have faily limited storage but I do wonder if its like work vans the bigger you buy the the more equipment the guys put in them.
We still have lots to do on truck but it was good to get out and try it. I am hoping it will inspire me to get on with the rest, good news is its back to fabrication and welding which is more my thing than plumbing and electrics!
I look forward to details if you have them.
cheers
ian

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Hi Ian, we got our from: http://www.jandrguram.com/

We looked at various manufacturers.

http://www.britishcampaignfurniture.com/products?id=11346

http://www.original-furniture.co.za/

http://www.melvillandmoon.com/roorkhee_instructions.html

The guys in India were by far the most helpful, and best overall price we could find with the cost of shipping over to Australia, and the quality is just superb.

Regarding storage, I have found that we make do with whatever we have, my Land Rover 110 is big enough for extended camping trips, with all the tools and spares necessary, but then the Discovery D1 was also big enough for a 2 week remote area camping trip with even more spares and tools, and that has a lot less space than the 110. I think it's true, the more space you have, the more stuff you carry. I know Charlie carries more spares, tool and stuff in his U500 Unicat than a flatbed version of my truck could legally carry as he has the space and the load capacity.

canals1164

Observer
Weighed the truck again with full water tank, main fuel tank and all fittings at 6880 kgs, this means we should be within 7500kg limit quite a relief!

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Well done - weight has been my biggest concern since finding out what other people's campers have weighed in at - nothing worse than doing all the work only to find out you need to buy a bigger chassis just to carry your camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles