Observer
Some better shots from Big Rock before the damage ensued:

8416131020_60552ddb30_b.jpg

8416131894_328a39b33b_b.jpg

8416130176_a338d3b0ef_b.jpg

8416132710_2039f83b66_b.jpg

xearth

Observer
Ouch! Wonder if kickouts on the sliders would've helped prevent door damage. Love the truck.

Yea I think they would have helped for the door, kinda has me reconsidering the ones I have. At least they protect the rocker panels. Might need to invest in an angle grinder and start trimming up the fenders now...

xearth

Observer
After the side of the X took a pounding at Big Rock I have been slightly tentative to get back on the trails. A trip to the Wilds open normally to Land Rovers had extended the invitation to any vehicle so I pounced! But alas, too slow... I didn't see the registration window had already closed, but the itch was back. I had to get back on the trails again, and it just so happens that I recently picked up a new camera (Samsung NX1000 with the kit lens + the 50-200mm)

Now I had every excuse to get out somewhere. Thrashing Trails in Xenia, OH has been my "go-to" spot for shakedown runs as it's less than a half hour away. Unfortunately that's really the only big plus since it's mostly dirt and mud, but it does present a great opportunity for testing out the X and new photography equipment. I started Saturday off right with a nice medium Starbucks blend:

pWyArqt.jpg

I have been into a few other niche coffee companies lately, but this was a good way to kick off the morning. Since this was my first "solo" trip with no other vehicles, I asked if my brother would join to keep me from doing anything stupid. He pleasantly obliged and I loaded up the dog, picked up my co-pilot, and we were on our way:

zXgJyZF.jpg

E4Om9u4.jpg

Not only was this run my first without another vehicle, it was the first for Kosar (the pup, named after Bernie Kosar as my fiance finds some way to root for the Browns) as well. I've always wanted to bring him along before but in the past we've traveled much further and he hasn't proven he can do well on long rides. This was the time for him to prove himself tho. Thrashing Trails is identifiable by their "Green Goblin" marking the entrance of the park, otherwise it would be very easy to just keep on driving by.

1rEKInq.jpg

EefhROh.jpg

The place is mostly filled with quads and bikes so we occasionally receive an odd look or two commonly followed by "Are you driving that Jeep down the trails? You know it's gonna get muddy right?"

cMbx2eO.jpg

A smirk and a nod is always my reply.

The majority of the trails are very tame, very similar to logging roads or just simple dirt.

qorYo3d.jpg

UcjKcJN.jpg

nCzBgD4.jpg

93LmLTp.jpg

CuYipXf.jpg

One of my favorite features of this new camera that I'm not used to is the continuous shooting mode. I can't help but giggle holding down the shutter and having 8 shots burst off in a row. I think the sequence was below was easily my favorite of the day

qHYL7nq.jpg

oqdpjVu.jpg

UL8c695.jpg

g4dwUQL.jpg

Overall, it was a good run. No damage, some good photos, decision making that didn't turn out to bite me in the ***. A good day indeed.

QhG2hEK.jpg

xearth

Observer
Nice looks like a fun day! Looks like you fixed the previous trail damage?

I tapped out the front fender, so that has been "fixed". It's still pretty rough, but it does line up with the rest of the body again. The rear door is still quite concave, and I don't have many good pictures of the side right now, but here's one that might show that the damage is still there

u0220sg.jpg

RonapRhys

Adventurer
Xenia has trails? Who knew? I'm not into mud (much prefer the rocks), but I may be able to hit the trails with you some day if it's relatively dry out.

xearth

Observer
Xenia has trails? Who knew? I'm not into mud (much prefer the rocks), but I may be able to hit the trails with you some day if it's relatively dry out.

Haha! Yea, just depends on how you classify trails. It's really mild but when it's been a while I don't mind heading out that way and I'd absolutely be open to going again if you're ever interested. Do you have any good places you hit up that are within a couple hours?

RonapRhys

Adventurer
For me, the Southington Hunting Club (or whatever it's called) up near Cleveland has been the only real Ohio place to hit. There's a club here in Cbus that I know a few folks from, but haven't gotten around to joining (may correct that now) that hit lots of local areas. I wheeled with two of them out in Moab this year. I'll have to send them a note to see what's up.

I do get over in that area from time to time (I've got family in Dayton) and may be able to join up.

xearth

Observer
I've been doing a lot of rock climbing lately, albeit not in the Xterra. She has been getting me down to Kentucky, but getting me closer to crags than trails as of late.

Lago Linda is where we have had the pleasure of utilizing a cabin as well as their campgrounds a few times now. Great place and they make it better providing morning breakfast, coffee, and wi-fi. This puts us only 15 minutes or so from PMRP which is a relatively large crag that gets much less foot travel than places like Muir Valley.

5rXreqY.jpg

6KV0wkK.jpg

27 Years of Climbing

pWOu5tb.jpg

Darwin Loves You (5.9)

gTeZRvx.jpg

Generosity (5.10d)

hTPe0UI.jpg

NCtrail4R

Adventurer
Great looking truck and good to see you using it! Had a similar dent in a Trooper I had years back - slid into a tree. How are the hankooks holdong up for you on the trails - do they seem to hold their own?? And how are they on the road?

xearth

Observer
Great looking truck and good to see you using it! Had a similar dent in a Trooper I had years back - slid into a tree. How are the hankooks holdong up for you on the trails - do they seem to hold their own?? And how are they on the road?

Yup, trees just seem to pop up on occasion out of nowhere. I really like the tires! I've had them for just over 30,000 miles and they still have a decent amount of tread. I get them rotated/balanced a couple times a year and there is always a noticeable difference. In my opinion these are a great tire for the trails while still being on a daily driver. When aired down they grip rocks and crawl right up. Aired back up they are quiet on the road and they clean out quickly. They aren't the best on ice, but hey, what MT is?

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I really like your bumper, I like how tucked in to the front of the truck it is. I hate how the ARB sticks way out front, makes the truck look bulbous.

If I were looking for a bumper I would be looking to get one of those!

Dmski

Adventurer
Great looking X! Some inspiration came from yours actually when I went to make my light rack. I've only got two mounted up there pointing outwards for deer and since the lightglare is unbearable but they work well offroad on the trails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94