Hard Sided Expedition trailer????

• Thread starter Deleted member 43491
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 43491

I was wondering if any one had experience with a "Hard sided" M416 trailer??? I am looking into instead of installing a lid and roof top tent instead making it hard bodied. A example would be like this communications shelter on the m101a2 trailer i believe it is. http://www.sanlee.com/jeep/S250camper/default.htm truckcamper.jpg

I have seen the teardrops and shuttle pods but really didn't see much for hard sided M416...

Thoughts??? Ideas???

Why???? Because the wife is watching me work on my M416 build and has expressed numerous times now that she would prefer hard walls instead of a fabric RTT and i refuse to get ride of my new trailer!!!!

Disclaimer/ Credit: Not my photograph! Borrowed from this website http://www.sanlee.com/jeep/S250camper/default.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
If the tow vehicle is heavy enough it should work, but a good gust of wind just might make you check your pants if you are towing it with a lighter vehicle. Plus it is going to suck up a lot more gas.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
I think the only limitation with a "live-inside" trailer is the dimensions. For the bed-space, you probably need a minimum of 48" X 72" depending on the height of yourself or your wife, with a comfortable size being nearer to 60" X 74" or so. Roughly the size of a queen bed.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
The problem with the 416 is it's already only 6' long....which can be very tight for sleeping, especially if your 6' or over.

Now...maybe if you were a bit creative and built an enclosed nose, so you could poke your feet into something...that may work.

Here's an idea I had based off my first trailer build. It was based off a trailer with similar dimensions, but would have required moving the axle, and extending the tongue. I ended up just moving up a trailer to a M116A2, which worked perfect.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=dbb0ae9019d4209edd4a4e22ac75e1fc

Good luck, Pat

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Gas mileage will not be an option. The work done looks good, but as Pat has said the living space will be tight due to length. Then again, you have built trailer that should be water tight, a positive no matter what you are doing. It appears you could just slide it out when not in use, so many positives to what you have done. We have a turtle build, maybe the ugly duck build, beauty in in the eye of the beholder. You have a solid mid western farm girl trailer, nothing wrong with that. I am sure it will take you where ever you want to go, and that is all that is truly important.

Nice work.

Balzer

Adventurer
Ther idea is sort of neat. However the trailer build in the link you gave is obviously very heavy! I would say some sort of off road teardrop build would save a lot of weight and would better fit your needs when all was said and done. There are some awesome examples of off road teardrops here, just my oppinion but it seams a more logical way to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior