Recommendations needed for m416 spare mount

dpd06

Ive got a restored m416 that im starting to modify and improve. Im looking at different locations to mount a spare.

Ive seen on this and other sites where people have simply bolted the spare to the rear of the tub. Ive considered this but wanted to know how this mount works in the long run. My main concern is the weight wearing down the tub.

Ive also read where people have mounted the spare under the tub. Threads ive read referred to a ”60 series” spare tire carrier but im not sure what exactly theyre referring to or what make or model of vehicle I could find one on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jerry

kai38

Explorer
Toyota pick ups have a "winch" pulley to crank the spare up under the rear.
I used one on my M416, you need the long rod & handle to crank it up & down also.
I had angle iron welded across the frame to weld the pulley on, because I have a rear bumper on the trailer I had to turn the slot for the rod to the side of the trailer instead on the back.
Before that I had the tire carrier from the rear of a Trooper mounted on the front left corner of the trailer for the spare.
The bolt pattern of the rims didn't match but 2 of the three did.
I can get pictures of it later today if you want them.

shogun

Adventurer
I've done this operation.

Rear of tub has downsides of drilling tub (complicates float with possible leaks) and probably will wrinkle the sheet metal eventually. Also need to offset the CG shift.

Underneath I havent personally inspected. I would think that it may decrease clearance and complicate access in rough/wet (snow/mud) terrain, especially since the assumption is there is a flat which has lowered the clearance. Watch CG issues also.

I fabbed a bracket that bolts onto front frame rails and holds the tire/wheel vertical just in front of the box. Nice and strong, adds a little forward CG. I have a spare (two trailers) that is excess to my needs I could make a deal on if you're interested. Its for the OEM wheel, unpainted. Shameless plug.

dpd06

Thanks for all the help, the people who make up this site are very inspiring. Not only have you all answered my quesion but your builds have inspired me to start looking into buying a welder and teaching myself how to weld.

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
Another option is to run the same wheels/tires as your tow vehicle and not carry an extra spare (i.e. only one spare vs. two). May not fit your situation, but works for me.

GI_Jeepin"

wander looking to get lost
This is what I did. I cut up an old 2" receiver and bolted it under the rear frame of the trailer. I dont have it with me, but I made a tire carrier out of 2" square stock that looks like a bicycle carrier. This way it is removable and it doesn't leave any visible holes

Hitch Mount.jpg

JPNCA

Adventurer
I plan on taking my stock tire carrier off the Wrangler and putting it on the back of the trailer
I havent done it yet so its just theory right now.
I have converted my axle to 5 on 4.5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz