Scrubber3's long overdue build thread

scrubber3

Not really here
Okay ladies I am going to make this happen one way or another and I figured since I have obtained a nice winch bumper and have a snorkel in the mail headed this way I might as well start a build thread. So here it goes.....

I bought my Montero in September of 2009 from a dinky little used car lot. I saw an add for it on Craigslist for $1500. I got there and test drove it, liked it okay, and bought it. On the way home I noticed it the voltage was dropping and the vehicle was pulling pretty bad. Of course these had nothing to do with each other, but these were the first things that would have to be remedied if I was to drive it on a daily. I had an hour and a half drive home and I was losing light fast. I knew that turning my headlights on would only add to the voltage issue currently at hand. Well, I got it home in the nick of time just as the sun was dipping past the horizon. The next day I threw an alternator in it with a new optima blue top in dark grey casing (which is good for automotive use). 1000 CCA is more than enough for a cold morning. I could probably start an M1 Abrams with it. Problem solved.

Upon further inspection of the pulling issue, I noticed that the front left tire was worn all to h3ll on the inner side. I needed new tires and an alignment. After that I noticed that the shocks were not doing their job very well anymore either. KYB Gas-A-Just monotubes ordered and installed. At the same time, I went under the truck to see about cranking the torsion bars a little and noticed that the drivers side had been cranked quite a bit. So, I cranked it a little more and did so on the passenger side to level it out. The next day, I took it to get some 31 inch BFG ATs on it. The following week, I got a buddy of mine to do the alignment.

On a side note, if anyone is looking a getting some outstanding monotube shocks for a very good price; The KYB gas-a-just may very well be your answer. Monotube is 100 times better than any twin tube shock!! I am truly an advocate for these. When (or should I say if) these need to be replaced, I will be putting in a new set just like them. As far as the alternator is concerned, the cam seal was leaking oil on it thus causing the failure. Be warned- When replacing the timing belt, replace the cam and crank seals along with everything else needed.

TO BE CONTINUED....

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Never had issues with KYB Gas Adjusts. What's the cost difference between the Monomax and Gas Adjusts?

You're right about replacing the cam seals when doing your timing belt. The alternators do not like oil dripping on them. It's what killed 2 alternators for me before I could replace the faulty seal.:REOutShootinghunter

This thread could use more pics BTW LOL...

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
+1 for moar pics!

moar-cat.jpg

Last edited:

Monterorider

Adventurer
Gas-a-just are not bad by any means. Softer when monomaxes but you can't say it's bad. They are often almost half the price of Monomaxes.

scrubber3

Not really here
So this is what it looked like on it's maiden voyage. A trip to Uwharrie NC for a few nights of camping with my brother.
monterouwharrie.jpgmonterouwharrie2.jpgmonterouwharrie3.jpgmonterouwharrie4.jpg

The only thing noticeable from the outside at this point was the BFG AT 31s and a torsion bar crank. Still went through Uwharrie without a single hiccup.

Upon finishing that camping trip, I didn't do too much for quite some time. Although I did manage to install one of these.
monty hitch.jpg Bolted right up with the fasteners that came on the truck. I have pulled much with this and with the locking hook, I don't have to worry about a recovery strap coming off and I can pull trailers with pull rings. Tractor supply has them for around 80 bucks.
I needed it to pull my bass boat. Keep in mind I was still attending college to obtain my ADN. Money was tight and time was scarce so upgrading was on the back burner.

RichardT

Adventurer
Looking good man, I cant wait to see it with the bumper and snorkel on, I'm hopefully getting my bumper this spring, and then I'll have to start my official build thread as well.

Where did you order the snorkel from?

scrubber3

Not really here
Got it from Ebay. Stay tuned to the build thread and I will put that up too. BTW the truck looks completely different now as these pictures were taken in Nov of 09.

RichardT

Adventurer
Got it from Ebay. Stay tuned to the build thread and I will put that up too. BTW the truck looks completely different now as these pictures were taken in Nov of 09.

Looking forward to it. I know it's different ;) I was commenting more on the build thread, you have the black hood, and wheels, among other things done since then right? I've seen your other pics around, but I can't remember all the things you've done to it, still, so far it's a sweet build

scrubber3

Not really here
So, to keep things rolling along..... Somewhere in the midst of all that I installed a Uniden Pro xl cb with a 5 ft whip. Mounted a hood antenna mount to the right side rain gutter and the cb to the right side of the center console. As I was doing this, I went ahead and pulled the pansie chrome stripping from the gutter and threw it away. Looks much better without it IMHO. Pictures of this to come....

Fast forward to last spring- replaced the timing belt, cam seals, crank seal, water pump, and all that stuff. Replaced the ac compressor and accumulator as well as vacuumed/ charged the ac system (so far it still works). Shortly after that, my mail lady had just purchased a used jeep with 32 11.5 pro comp MTs. She didn't like the tires and I offered her an even trade which she took.

Later that week, I went to walmart and purchased some spray on bed liner and commenced to spraying the entire lower portion. Drove around that way for a while until I moved to VA where I thought that it wasn't good enough, so I sprayed the hood and painted my wheels black. Ahhh, much better. The next day I headed to harbor freight and picked up four 100 watt off road lights which I mounted 2 on the bumper and drilled (yes drilled) 4 holes on my roof and installed the second set. Put all the switches in the headliner just above the driver's seat. These things help a great deal when driving a trail at night. Helps with depth perception the most. Night and day difference if I may say so myself.. (no pun intended) Used 3m 5200 marine sealant to seal the holes up water tight. It should never leak. :)

Sometime while messing with all that stuff, I went to the local pick-a-part to get a condenser fan/ motor. I found a sweet 94 SR and pulled the fan motor, rear wiper fastener, air locker pump, the little sticker that goes with the air locker, and the switch (that I didn't even use). The next day I went and got the rear axle assembly. All this for 120 dollars. SCORE!!! I set it aside until I was in the mood (crazy enough) to do it by myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste