Scrubber3's long overdue build thread

shmabs

Explorer
Way to go IPOR! I have used them for parts in the past and they were more than happy to correct the issues that came up, even though they were my fault. Their repsonse seems more than reasonable. As someone who has worked at a shop like that before, i would say they went over and above what most places would have done.

Mike

scrubber3

Not really here
Nah. I fixed it. I won't go back. Now, this is my build thread and I'm done saying anything about them. I'm not worried about the money anyhow. I'm less stressed without dealing with it personally. Plus I've only been back in country a few weeks so...... Whatever, I've got bigger things.

The montero now has an SR front diff. I learned while installing it that the axles of an SR are indeed of larger diameter than the LS counterparts. It's ridiculous how many different axles they put in these. All together, there are 8 different axles that are used.

The SR does indeed bolt right up.

scrubber3

Not really here
Way to go IPOR! I have used them for parts in the past and they were more than happy to correct the issues that came up, even though they were my fault. Their repsonse seems more than reasonable. As someone who has worked at a shop like that before, i would say they went over and above what most places would have done.

Mike

Still wouldn't recommend them for service as they'll come up with random charges and won't follow book time.

Over it, unless someone cares to see the invoice. Seriously, I don't care. I won't be back.

Last edited:

Justice R

Adventurer
Did you get the CV axles? Your going to need those as well.

I learned while installing it that the axles of an SR are indeed of larger diameter than the LS counterparts. It's ridiculous how many different axles they put in these. All together, there are 8 different axles that are used.

Hate to say I told ya so, but yea. There are a lot of different combos that we have found in these. Dependent on engine size/yr/model/and transmission type. We got it pretty much figured out now over on the wire. Basically only two sizes to be concerned with on the Gen2's though. Now that you have the big front diff you can add the ARB or Aussie locker to it since none are made for the smaller diff.

So what turned out to be the problem?

Last edited:

scrubber3

Not really here
I replaced the transfer case/ transmission sleeve, and one of the cv axle boots were busted. It was one or the other. The sleeve was worn a bit, but the cv axle could have let loose as well. Though pulling it apart showed no signs of damage.

Forgot to mention, the front driveshaft is also different from the LS to the SR. I'll be installing an ARB locker up front within the next few months. ;)

scrubber3

Not really here
Alright, since I'm back for a while this time, I'll have the chance to go on a few outings. Just gotta clean out the rig and get rid of the spiderwebs. Just a heads up though; if anyone is storing their older mitsu for over a month or so(in a humid environment) I'd recommend the damp-rid hanging bags. I left one in mine and it was full when I got back. Had a little left to go, but for all intent was full.

I'll be adding a new winch as well starting today.

Last edited:

scrubber3

Not really here
New winch installed thanks to my 2 year warranty. I'll keep this one wrapped up his time. Got another 2 years and 3 months added on the new one for free. 9000lb HF special. Initial investment was $250. Paid for itself, but sat too long in the weather.

Pulled off my limb risers as one broke due to some idiot I was jump starting. Used his cables and a frayed part was laying on one of my risers. Burned it enough to snap the cable.

Have yet to add a front locker due to the global environment, and I'm not sure I will anytime soon. I will however fab up a Jerry can holder for the rear as soon as I find another can.

scrubber3

Not really here
Last week, I replaced the driver side upper control arm(complete with new ball joint) as the rear bushing in the old one had decided to leave. This week I replaced the outer tie rod ends and got an alignment. It's amazing how much better the gas mileage seems to already be, not to mention the tightness of it now.

scrubber3

Not really here
Quick follow up. The montero is still running strong. Just got back from a 2600 mile round trip with a fully loaded truck and a loaded 5x7 trailer. Pulled 300 miles to a tank. That's with a dent in the tank lowering the cap by about a gallon. Only thing that went wrong was the drivers window motor/regulator failed. It was stuck down. So I pulled over, snatched the regulator out and stuck the window up in place using tire plugs. Glad it worked because it was around 20-30*F about the whole way back. Got a new window motor/regulator and is GTG. Oh, I found some front speakers for sale so now I can make out the words in the music I'm listening to.

Pics to follow

Oh, I've not found a jerry can yet....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles