canvas tops

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have been doing research on soft toppers for p/u. We all loved canback for short term durability. You now have http://www.softopper.com/ and http://www.bestop.com/truck-covers/supertopr-for-truck making them.

I like them the soft topper has a nice fold down system. Is lacking windows but has rool up sides. The best top has windows but is not an eays up and down. The problem I have is the fit is so universal they look odd they seem to seal ok from what there is out there on these.

These toppers range form 550 t 2500 for the canback. Canback has been retooling for ever. Want this by this summer. The cost dose not bother me how ever the fit and durability.

I have been thinking of building my own frame and making my own top or having one built to better fit the truck.

I have found sailcloth been told to use old canvas tents. Has any one hear done this. I searched found where some have talked about it but no finished product.

Phreak480

Army Guy
I'm also looking to build 1 for myself as well to fit my 03 Ram with the 8ft bed. I want to make it so it mounts on top of the explorer series rails for my pace edwards rolling bedcover. This way when i want to go truck camping or if i need more weather resistant space to haul something in i can just open the bed cover and pop on a soft top. Was even thinking of making it tall enough that my ATV will still fit inside, but that might not happen.

CYi5

Explorer
Keep an eye on TTORA's classifieds. I've seen a couple Can-Backs come up on there in the last few months for crazy reasonable prices. I loved mine so much I have it waiting under my bed until I purchase another truck in the future. This article might give you some hints for DIY.

Casper

Adventurer
I was looking at building my own, but the cost involved made it not worth it. I did all the same research you did and finally settled on the Softopper. I have to say one of the best purchases I have made in a long time. The best thing about it is how easy it folds down. I don't have to take the whole thing off, I can just lay it down like a convertable top if I need the space, or roll the sides up and lossen it a bit if I just need a few more inches.

Good luck and make sure to post pics.

Cheers,
JP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior