Is this a drop bracket lift...???

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I am interested in a 2006 Tundra about 150 miles from where I live in AZ...
Do these pictures show a drop bracket lift? I am not sure...
If anyone lives near BMW N. Scottsdale I would gladly buy you a sixer for taking a look at the truck and letting me know...
I know the truck is lifted and I would return to stock or near stock...Thanks
Matt

Attachments

• B17305B.02.jpg
    B17305B.02.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 16
  • B17305B.21.jpg
    B17305B.21.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 19

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Thats what I thought...do these run spacers on the coils in front? How easy to go back to stock?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Yep, drop bracket. Usually spacers, can be hard to get back to stock if the cross member was cut... inspect and see

upcountry

Explorer
Why lower it? If you want one that's lower just buy one that's lower? Otherwise slap some 38s on there and run with it!

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Truck looks pretty clean. Might want to just leave it lifted. Or find one that is stock if that's your thing.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
That truck looks great. Wish mine looked like that. I don't want to have to pay for it, but it would be really cool and I feel better offroad (think break over angle).

zolo

Explorer
I'm pretty sure if its a ProComp or similar they are designed for the factory cross section to be cut out.
So going back stock is nearly impossible. I could be wrong but most drop lifts require the factory cross section to be cut out.

zolo

Explorer
my understanding was that drop bracket lifts running spacers was a negative?

Yeah I love those Tundra years but that lift is gonna be a negative in my opinion.
In the long run you would be better off buying stock and adding a more to stock design lift like OME or similar.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Why is it a negative? I am really curious. I don't ever plan on this type of lift, but I would love to know why so I will not be tempted when and if funds would allow it.

Danimal

Adventurer
I can't speak for others, necessarily, but I wheeled with a friend with a 1st generation Tacoma with a drop bracket lift. The negatives:
  • Lift used inferior hardware. The rubber bushings that the front diff mounted to were absolute junk. This allowed the front diff to move excessively and eventually broke the steel diff mount that is near the pinion yoke. This steel mount was part of the drop bracket itself and had to be welded back together.
  • Coating (paint or powder coat, couldn't tell) on drop bracket was absolute junk and allowed severe rust issues.
  • The steel used on the drop bracket was absolute junk. Once the coating was gone, the steel plate that the drop bracket was fabricated out of started to flake severely. It looked like a delicious flaky croissant. This made him very concerned about the safety of the vehicle over time.
  • The drop bracket itself caused worse than stock front ground clearance. We compared with a stock 1st generation Tacoma and it had about 0.5" less ground clearance, even though the lifted Tacoma had 33" tires and the stocker had 31" tires.
  • As you all know - the factory cross member had been cut, so there was almost no going back. I've seen one person on this forum reverse a cut factory cross member, but not all trucks are worth this kind of work...
Even if you find a drop bracket that was of higher quality than my friends, you will still deal with the ground clearance issues. Granted, folks with solid front axles deal with similar ground clearance...

Dan

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles