Personal Care on the trail

kai38

Explorer
When water is at a premium on the trail and you need a shower here are some Personal Care products that don't need water to use. Shampoos, body wash etc.
I haven't tried them out yet but they look like some thing to keep in your bathroom bag.
http://www.hdis.com/personal-care.h...hdis.com/personal-care.html?manufacturer=1285

nrw8_1.jpg
nrsc_1.jpg

I wouldn't suggest buying bulk to try that out. Most leave you feeling oily or are like purell. Fast orange is good for your hands but not the rest of you. When it dries it acts like sand paper. Just find a way to bring more water or recycle.

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
We always take IPA wipes with us to help cut down on the amount of showers. There are several brands designed for camping.

Hafwit

Adventurer
I second the use of wipes. When we traveled with our baby, we used a few for ourselves and found that wipes work quite well to freshen up when showers are not available.

Cheers,
Greg

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I second the use of wipes. When we traveled with our baby, we used a few for ourselves and found that wipes work quite well to freshen up when showers are not available.

Thirded. Baby-wipes "showers" will handle most basic camp hygiene for at least several days. The CostCo Kirkland brand is excellent and inexpensive.

adi

Adventurer
If water is plentiful/available, I either use campsuds or norinse with a washcloth. I've even used campsuds for shaving with a safety razor. It is also nice to only have to carry one item for body/hair/dishes/etc.

In low water usage, difficult to beat wipes.

lowenbrau

Explorer
FWIW, wipes work pretty well for doing dishes too. A final rinse with a wet cloth and you are ready for the next meal.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
FWIW, wipes work pretty well for doing dishes too. A final rinse with a wet cloth and you are ready for the next meal.

True - and some have nylon threads embedded in the towelette to safely scrub sticky surfaces not to mention that additive of bleach as a disinfectant and low-sudsing detergents to cut grease.

Can't seem to find the picture of me in my apron with the truck behind me... hold on... just a minute

Last edited:

Sempertoy

Explorer
To the OP, thanks for sharing.

in afghan we used baby wipes the first couple months. But after awhile you just don't smell yourself anymore... lol

downhill

Adventurer
I spend months at a time living on the road. Most of the time I stink. I quit worrying about it. Nobody talks to me unless they have a damn good reason, which is perfect. Makes it easier for my dogs to find me too. One of the hardest things to keep clean is my hair. I solved that by cutting it off. I use clippers and just leave enough stubble to keep my hat on. Works like velcro. I keep the bad problem areas powdered. Cornstarch is cheap and works great. A weeks worth of stumble on a clean shaven face looks like hell. For whatever reason, having a mustache makes the stubble look cool. It's better to look like a cowboy than a bum. Beyond that I just hope for the best.

demonslaer

Observer
my wife & daughter both do home health care. they get stuff like that . plus they get all kinds of frist aid stuff. they get alot adult bathing kits no water needed.

haulindave

Observer
Rubbing alcohol and warm water works good and a wash cloth . Just put a half cup or so of rubbing alcohol and a cup or two of warm water water dip your wash cloth in and rub down . Works good and makes you feel refreshed , especially in the desert when it was a hot day and the sun is setting and a little breeze comes in . I like it better than wet wipes , even though I use them when in a hurry . Carry a portable shower when with wife also . :elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier