M101 CDN Expo Build

Toycdn

Observer
Thought I would share my trailer build with you guys. Some of you have probably seen it on other forums but it is about to embark on a 5000 mile plus trip to the Baja and I will most likely be posting a trip report on here.

Here's how it looked when I got it, minor rust, trailer has a few dings but overall not bad.

img_0802.jpg

img_0795.jpg

I had it sand blasted and then epoxy primed at quick-shot truck body in Langley, they were awesome and had great pricing.

IMG_0816.jpg

I then cut out all the seam sealer spots that were bad and re-sealed everything. then I flipped the trailer upside down and ground down the rusty areas and painted those areas. I could have probably done a better job underneath but it was in pretty good shape with a thick rubber coating and I didn't see the point of fixing something that isn't broken. I just used tremclad on the areas I wire brushed and a thick coating on the axel and springs, hopefully this holds up ok.
I also replaced the bearings and all the bushings, the parking brake is a little sticky but it looks like it would be a pain to replace so hopefully it will be alright.

IMG_0831.jpg

I then took the trailer to Jason at Cruisin offroad and had him make me a lid for my new ARB Pilbara tent and also jerry can holders and extended fenders. He also made a slick propane holder on the front and a front support to stabilize the trailer. Here are some photos that Jason took.

IMG-20120104-00479.jpg

IMG-20120104-00482.jpg

Now it just needs sandblasting on the raw steel and primer then some paint.
Slapped some paint on her! Nearly done, just have to paint over the primer on the wheels and mount the tent.

trailerpaint.jpg

Here's what I picked up to stabilize the rear of the trailer when camping.

stabilizer.jpg

Here she is all finished up!

IMG_0901.jpg

The important things.

IMG_0902.jpg

Hooked up to the truck. It's parked on a bit of a hill, it sits perfect with the truck on flat ground.

IMG_0910.jpg

Just received my ARB fridge and installed it in the truck today. Testing out if my 5 year old starter battery will need to be replaced before the big trip. I used the bucket seat tie down points to secure the fridge, while not perfect it will stop it from taking my head off in an accident. Eventually when I have a canopy the fridge will live in the bed.

IMG_0912.jpg

Last edited:

D110

Observer
What a deal! I paid a $1,000 for mine in identical shape. Curious how much the sandblast and lid cost you.... I'm not far away and it might be worth the trip up there.

D110

Observer
Thanks - the lid price seems right in line with what I have been quoted locally.... I think I need to shop around a bit more for the blasting and primer as the only quote I have gotten was $800.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior