International 4700 crew cab VS Dodge 3500

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Wha

Doh! You pays your money and takes your chance. I have built up my Dodge 2500 to be able to carry a hard side camper by adding another set of secondaries (overloads), adding Stable Loads, and going with super singles or duplex rr and using higher rated tires. It came with one set of secondaries as a part of the Camper Package. Except for the tires, it was the de facto SRW one ton in 2001. The net result is the Lance on Dodge height is only 10 ', 2" to clear and only 86" wide, and the aggregate weighs 10,200 pounds. I think your camper on the IH will be quite a bit taller. Just thinking of all those trees in B.C. The deal breaker is your CVWR. My Dodge has only a 19,300 pound load rating. Yours is way beyond that.
I'm amazed you found a (looks like) Dana 80 front axle for your conversion. Now you need to worry about a transfer case that will work. I suggest a divorced NP205 so you don't have to fool with mating the trans/t.case. You seem to have all the basses covered. Does the new one have an AAM or a Dana 110 rear axle? What about traction aids? Locker or limited slip? If it's a D80 I suggest a Power Lok. Old tech, but the clutches are cone shaped and the secret is they are under preload, so there is a lot of twist migrating out to two wheels. In my view, it's the one that will hold up to a heavy truck camper. Further, you might consider a tray or flat bed for the camper part. three or four point would work well since you want to do some off-roading. Nice project.
In the dim dark past i had an IH project rig: 1980 IH Scout II Traveller, Nissan 3.3L turbo diesel, 118" WB. Great family rig.
regards, as always, jefe

easyshell

I am hoping that the Ram 5500 that I ordered over six months ago will still have the new truck smell when it shows up. Usually before when ever I got the urge to get a new truck I would just get the one I had cleaned and detailed and mabey a few new parts. This time I could not get enough new parts into it and the new truck smell was not there it just smelled like wet dog kid crude and grease from having to fix everything. I really hope the truck is going to be worth the wait and that having a new truck is going to be worth it (I have never had a new truck before). I never thought that buying a truck was such a long process. It took three dealerships before I found one that could answer questions about the truck and then when I finally got a quote on what I wanted they could not find one so I had to order one. I tried to do that but the cutoff for 2013 happened the day I tried to order then it was almost a month later they finally got the computers to work to order me one. The next set back although no a huge one b/c of the year change they changed what colours there were (the first time I am able to pick the colour I like and they don't have it in the 2014 year). Hopefully it will be here soon......

peneumbra

Explorer
What you really need is a 6x6 Western Star (even though they don't build them in Kelowna anymore) with a GVW of about 60,000 lbs. Maybe you could get Tim Horton to sponsor you...

easyshell

Here is a little history and evolution to where I'm at with everything

First I had a yj that had a Chevy drive train and all custom everything...
It was to small and I did not like tenting it rains alot up here in bc
Then I went to a Toyota 4runner so I could sleep in the back
image.jpg

Spent a lot of time and money on that one and then someone decided they liked it better that me and took it...

I had another 2wd Toyota that I drove for a while...and this
image.jpg
Then got a 1999 dodge 2500hd
image.jpg
Spent a lot of time and money on it as well
700 hp money
Got the taste of a free camper
image.jpg
I was hooked then for a nice dry place to sleep and eat most of the time(trees took a good chunk of the roof off)
So upgrade
image.jpg
A early 80's slumber queen
Again needed work....
I was getting tired of taking camper off camper on every weekend so...
image.jpg
2006 Dodge 350
Spend more money...
Now we have two labs and a one year old and we were going to do a cross canada trip
image.jpg
26' Bigfoot fifth wheel
Was really nice and the price was right. Tried it for our trip worked awesome did 13000k in 7 weeks BUT it did not work for all of our other trips. We could take no toys and the clearace was a huge problem.
Bye (wife cried)
But we traded it plus cash for a 10.5' Bigfoot 2500 camper fully loaded only problem was neither truck was legal to carry it
Bye 99 dodge (I cried)
We get international and stuck a lot (stuck with chains rear locker -30 out)
image.jpg
We try a new combo take work trailer and make our own toy hauler

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

easyshell

image.jpg
Almost works but back to way to much work to get ready to go away
Also now have two labs and two kids Dodge cab way to small
Buy new project
image.jpg
A burnt 40' toy hauler
Make my own (still sitting there waiting for me after we went on a trip with the international and the work trailer and we had to back up 5km to turn around b/c we could not make it up a loose gravel hill and nowhere to turn around)
Now we are waiting for the next phase whenever it gets here.

easyshell

Truck finally showed up last week image.jpg
Put a quick deck on it and the camper
image.jpg
Then went to use it and got stuck luckily nice and level and close to
The lake we were ice fishing at (-30 it was cold)
image.jpg

crazy

Adventurer
I wish it would get to minus 30 here in California. NOT! Nice projects. Glad to see you're having some fun.

MT6bt

Rock hound
Nice setup! I used to have a northern lite 10-2000 on my 98 ram 2500 HD. Was a heck of a nice setup although it was very tall and I'm certain I was over my GVWR. Still the cummins had no problem with it, and got decent fuel economy. Your bigfoot was basically the same as mine. They do great in cold weather, don't they! Must be a little tight with your whole family in it, however. I felt a little cramped with two 100 lb dogs and myself...

easyshell

It does do a lot better in the cold than most but there is a lot of room for improvement they could have done a few small things at the factory that would have made it so much better but now is almost impossible to do.

I did not remember how much work it was to outfit a truck the way you want
So many projects
Like diff breather tubes
image.jpg
Winch mounts/bumper
Lift
Tires
VHF radio
Tool boxes
Lights
Lockers

It sure is nice working on something new though there are no rusted or seized bolts
Every thing was clean ....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior