Frame-Tire clearance question

java

Expedition Leader
Do you guys think 1" is enough clearance between the fame and tire? There isn't really much flex in a trailer so I'm thinking it would be ok.

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
IMGP0968.jpg
I wound up with a little more than 1"
It is hard to answer the question for you because it will depend on how tall you tire is vs. how much travel your suspension has.

Jeff

Revco

Adventurer
If the tire goes flat, it can tear up the trailer side. Also, if a rock gets caught between the tire and the trailer, it can do some damage. If the suspension articulates enough the tires can rub. I'd say 1" would be fine, as long as you had some sort of plate between the trailer side and the tire for protection, but without added protection, 1" would be way too close for comfort.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
I allow 3.5 inches on all of my trailers. And that is with a torsion axle that only moves up and down, no side to side play(articulation). Mud can be a huge issue with that little clearance I think.

It also depends on what type of wheeling you will be doing, smooth park trails and KOA camping you will be fine, serious off road you may have some problems. I would put a two inch spacer on it if it was mine.

java

Expedition Leader
Wont be doing anything too crazy with the trailer. Its going to rub on steel if it does. Can't do q spacer as that will push the tire way outside the wheel well. Really I need a little skinier tire but I'd like to match the truck and I have the tires for free already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz