Vanity callsign application help needed.

James86004

Expedition Leader
Hi All,

I want to get a vanity callsign, and I have a procedural question. When I start my online application, the first step is:

Applicant Questions
Fee Status
Is the applicant exempt from FCC application fees?
Is the applicant exempt from FCC regulatory fees?

I think from my research that the answer to the application fee question is yes, and the answer to the regulatory fee question is no, but I am not totally sure on this. So any direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,

James

Expedition Leader
It's been too long since I went through this process

Me too, but I did it all right there on the FCC pages. Can't remember what the difference is between application fees and regulatory fees, but remember that it only cost me about $12 IIRC.

spikemd

Explorer
I just submitted my application today, but it is far from straight-forward. I actually thought I had completed the application two weeks ago and went back to the FCC site to check on the status. It still said pending so I clicked on it and I guess it wasn't completed. After it sent me off to make the payment on another site, I didn't see any definitive confirmation that the FCC knew I had paid.

I answered both those questions as NO, meaning I am NOT exempt and therefore must pay. It costs like $14 or something. I am actually going to call the FCC tomorrow to be sure my application is finally complete. If there phone service is as un-user-friendly as their website, I am in big trouble... The website and information on the website is horrendous from a usability perspective.

Expedition Leader
... If there phone service is as un-user-friendly as their website, I am in big trouble... The website and information on the website is horrendous from a usability perspective.

Idea: we ought to get these same folks to run all our health care and administer our insurance! :rolleyes:

Now the wait begins (for your call sign). Post it up when you get it.

James86004

Expedition Leader
Thanks all. The process looks like it changed slightly within the last couple of years. Spikemd, you confirmed my fear that the process is obfuscated enough that I wish there was a step-by-step list of the way to fill out each form. I will have to make my own and post it here if I am successful.

Now, to come up with a list of alternate callsign choices in case I don't win the drawing for my first choice.

James
KF7FTX

hochung

Adventurer
James,

You have the General ticket right now. Have you considered going for Extra? Then you'd be allowed to go with the shorter 1x2 or 2x1 callsigns....

edit
never mind. I just checked the district 7 availability and it's looking pretty bad. no 1x2 calls available at the moment. LOL

Last edited:

Expedition Leader
What are the limitations for the vanity callsigns?

Basically you just have to use a prefix and format (i.e. 2x3, 1x3, 2x2, etc.) that is allowable for whatever class of license you have. You can actually use any of the region numbers you want, even if you don't live in that region - though if you're ever going to want to make DX contacts particularly on the HF bands, it would be beneficial and a lot less confusing to others to have a region number that indicates where you actually operate from.

James86004

Expedition Leader
I took and passed the Extra exam a little over a week ago, hence my wanting a vanity callsign. It is funny, I never wanted one before, but as soon as I got home after the exam my wife suggested it and now I can't let it go.

My understanding is I am not limited to area 7, I can get any one for CONUS, but not the ones for Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, etc.

hochung

Adventurer
oh ****, congrats on the Extra.

yeah, take your time and find a nice 1x2. it'll be worth it. K7JD would be great.

Expedition Leader
My understanding is I am not limited to area 7, I can get any one for CONUS, but not the ones for Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, etc.

Yes I believe that is right - I forgot about the non-CONUS regions.

Congratulations on your Extra ticket!

05LR3AZ

Adventurer
I took and passed the Extra exam a little over a week ago, hence my wanting a vanity callsign. It is funny, I never wanted one before, but as soon as I got home after the exam my wife suggested it and now I can't let it go.

Awesome James, well done!

xtatik

Explorer
Congrats James
Unless your a serious brass pounder, I wouldn't sweat the 1x2. Just find something that's personal and rolls off the tongue easy enough.:coffeedrink:

James86004

Expedition Leader
I was successful. I am now N1JH, which was my first choice. One other person applied for it, but it was her second choice.

The answer to both questions I originally posted about is "No". There are several places that are helpful for finding what call signs are available, but I found http://www.ae7q.net/ to be the most useful.

I took screen shots of the whole process so I will try to put together a step-by-step guide.

James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles