Vanity callsign application help needed.

hochung

Adventurer
James, you must be very happy with the new call sign. Congratulations. It's practically impossible to get a 1x2 callsign with your initials.

James86004

Expedition Leader
Thanks. I am very fortunate it became available shortly after I passed my exam.
W6HC, it looks like you managed to get your initials, too.

hochung

Adventurer
I got lucky too, but not as lucky as you. I got mine when morse code was still a requirement for the extra ticket, so the 1x2 callsigns were still somewhat available. But with the code requirement gone, lots of people went extra and got their 1x2 calls.

xtatik

Explorer
James, do have plans to work DX in the future? That callsign would be good for working pile-ups to the west of us when they take calls by the numbers. You'd theoretically be the stronger station working west (figuring the other calling stations would be behind you in New England). Working all other directions....You're gonna' get buried.:coffeedrink: Jus' ribbin' ya', if you're not into DX chasing, it really doesn't matter. Congrats on the 1x2.

xtatik

Explorer
I do have plans to work DX in the future. I need to get an HF rig installed in the Dormobile.

If so, and you plan to work primarily fron the western states, you might want to reconsider that callsign and get back to a "7". It'll make busting pile-ups a lot easier when they take stations by the numbers. At least this way you'll have an even chance with other stations in your area. Obviously when you're working paths over the poles it wouldn't matter much....But, working east/west would create a challenge.
1x2's are great....if you can get what you want in your own zone. If your not a brass pounder (cw), and you're not concerned with callsign weight (morse code weight), you'd be better off with a 1x3 in your own zone.
Again, if you're not concerned with DX chasing it really doesn't matter.

James86004

Expedition Leader
I have moved around so much in my life that I am not too concerned about the zone - I could very well be back in Massachusetts some time soon. I am not really heavy into DX chasing anyway, I just like the occasional contact to Argentina or Japan, especially if I am transmitting from some back country place where I don't even have cell phone service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles