Rack Help

livetoride

Adventurer
I just sold my 95 Range Rover Classic and got a 2012 Tacoma. So I now I need a place for my RTT. I have seen some sweet custom racks for the truck beds, but I am completely in the dark on some of these options for Tacomas. Anyone have ideas? The only solution I have been looking at is a Thule rack for the bed.

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
I'm looking to put an RTT on my 2010 so Im in the same boat. I haven't seen anything that works for the 2nd Gen bed except the All-Pro and the Thule x-sporter, and both are around $500. I plan on building a rack from aluminum later this year (long term project, right?). Right now the materials will cost about $300, but I can do the bending and TIG at work. It just may come out ugly...

Overbear

Observer
You could always fab up your own rather than go with a premade one.

I ended up on the 85 using a Thule rail system, then fabbed up my own brackets and basket and mounted it up.

zeropresence

I would just build your own, there is a thread somewhere of a guy with a 2nd gen that made a custom rack for his RTT, I'll see if I can find it. It's clean.

I have a 2005 with a snugtop shell on it. I plan on doing a Thule rails and doing a RTT on that. How to RTT attach? Do I need towers off the racks?

Overbear

Observer
No need for towers, I just used 2x2 angle iron, cut into short brackets then welded to the basket. I mounted the rails thru the stock roof, then sealed the rails down with silicon and rubber seals on the inside for extra shock obsorbtion.

Box Rocket

I built this one for my Tacoma. Might give some ideas. Its pretty versatile. Gives me a second layer of storage, carries all kinds of stuff, holds my hilift and shovel, optional snowboard racks. Can mount a tent to it.

bedrack9.jpg

with the tent mounted
IMG_0075Large.jpg

has C130 track system and tie downs
_MG_2142.jpg

I store tools and parts I need access to in a couple waterproof surplus boxes that mount to the rack. When the rack is installed the items in the bed are a little harder to get to so the stuff I need access to goes in the boxes.
_MG_2132.jpg

_MG_2143.jpg

Its been a useful mod for me. I generally have a Snugtop topper on it, but regularly use the rack too.

_MG_9584.jpg

_MG_9837.jpg

xjaugie

Adventurer
I'm at work and don't have photos, but i used Yakima parts to build my rack. I laid the slider rails along the bed rails and used the bases and towers on the rails for the cross bars. I like the low profile and use it to hold the bike rack, kayak and in future RTT. I do have a roll up cover on the bed and am currently looking for plastic blocks to raise the bases off the track by 2" to make it easier for the cover to clear the rack.

http://www.yakima.com/shop/racksystems/permanent-installation/tracks54-w-plusnuts

toyboxrig

I say if you have the equipment to build your own. Do it. It saved me more than half the cost of the allpro rack. And you can build it to your liking. Mine took a coworker and myself about a week to complete in our free time. I have the rest of the build posted on a friends site. I'll post the build up here soon.
rack.jpg0209021803.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles