AT Chaser vs. Horizon / Pros and Cons?

ventura911

Adventurer
Which is a better, all-around solution for camping? I like the Chaser, but I also like the side cargo boxes on the Horizon. Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks,
Kevin

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I'm a Horizon guy.
I really like the side storage boxes. I can access things there more easily than having to open the main cargo box, especially when the tent is open.
Besides...the side box kitchen and awning are unbeatable.

HTH...
:sombrero:

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
X2 on what Ed said! I went back and forth b/t the models and drove Mario crazy. It came down to the kitchen/awning for me. I've got three kids so it's important to have everything really close and quick to get to. In so saying that, I really like the lines of the Chaser! Whatever your decision, you won't be dissapointed.

wagner_joe

Adventurer
Depends on what type of camping you do? Do you want a self contained trailer with stove/fridge built in or would you rather use your existing gear.. It's owner driven, but for the easy of my wife and son (and my patience :REOutArchery02: level) we have an 06 Horizon..

taco2go

Explorer
We have a Chaser. I have to admit that cost was the biggest factor for us, as we had a set budget- which we then proceeded to exceed once our 'options' list expanded:)
1. I absolutely love the military lines of the Chaser. Understated, exudes capability,and the unit is built like a tank. Much higher payload than it's sibling.
2. I truly believe M&M designed the Chaser for the 98-04 tacoma. It is a perfect match. It is several hundred pounds lighter than the Horizon, and a little narrower (not much). Fit's easily on Michigan's narrow ATV trails.
3. The tailgate option is key- vastly improves accessability, functions as a table, lockable.

We have always had a 'minimalist' approach with our forays, and the Chaser fits the bill perfectly as our fist 'camper'. I don't feel I'm old enough to deserve the Horizon yet :)

That being said, I do see the advantage of having a self contained kitchen; I have so far been unsuccessful in figuring out how to secure a small (11# propane tank) to the trailer. Tooling around with some Quick Fist XLs....

- and we have a 23 month old

Last edited:

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Well I will give another thumbs up for the Chaser #15. I like the look and the lower profile of this trailer versus the Horizon. I love the simplicity of this model. There are a few draw backs, you really need to be organized with one large open space. This being said it can be done. I am also wishing for a propane holder on the outside. Here's another photograph. Both Adventure Trailers are outstanding products. It just comes down to what you prefer.

47b7d635b3127cceb90cae67279400000025108EatWzFu0cO

Casper

Adventurer
Gear said:
Well I will give another thumbs up for the Chaser #15. I like the look and the lower profile of this trailer versus the Horizon. I love the simplicity of this model. There are a few draw backs, you really need to be organized with one large open space. This being said it can be done. I am also wishing for a propane holder on the outside. Here's another photograph. Both Adventure Trailers are outstanding products. It just comes down to what you prefer.

OK, thats got to be the most organized trailer I have seen. Two questions. First, are all those boxes the same size? Second, what size are they?

Now, back on topic. It really depends on your personal choice. Both trailers are great. I went with the Chaser because of the cheeper price. I really wanted the Horizon because of the side boxes and kitchen set up, but now that I have the Chaser I am happy with my choice. Set up is easy and it tows like a dream. Sometimes I forget it is back there. I do disagree with what I person said however. I think it was built to compliment the Nissan Xterra. Fits perfect behind it.

Casper
:wings:

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Casper wrote
OK, thats got to be the most organized trailer I have seen. Two questions. First, are all those boxes the same size? Second, what size are they?
Yes they are all the same size Akro Mils storage bins. You can buy them here at www.fastenal.com. The part number is 0578363. They are 21.5" x 15" x 12.5" (LxWxH). They are 12 gallon bins. They are suppost to come in either blue or grey. I was only able to get the grey ones. Different colors would be nice to tell things apart. Cost, I paid $18.64 a piece. With my configuration in the Chaser I can put 12 bins total as you see it. The only problem is it is hard to get into the Engle with the latch on the side. So I really only run with 10 bins. Right next to the Engle now I place a Coleman instant hot water heater. Fits nicely see tan bag in picture below. Now I know what you are thinking were do you put all of your tent poles or longer items. Look behind the 2'x4' white table up against the back of the trailer(second photograph). There is plenty of room for all of my poles. I have a Parawing and shower tent enclosure back there. Well more info than you ask for but it is nice to see how others are doing it. So enjoy.

47b7d635b3127cceb90cae54a69700000025108EatWzFu0cO

47b7d635b3127cceb90ca9bc67d400000025108EatWzFu0cO

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Gear said:

That thing is like a chubby fat kid. It seems to eat everything in sight! I honestly didn't realize that the trailer can consume so much gear.

Aaron

spressomon

Expedition Leader
As above we love our Horizon. MM just came out with the Chaser when we put the deposit down...it is more refined now. Don't know I would have made a different choice but it would have taken a little more time/thought had the current Chaser existed then.

However, like others have said, we love the convenience of the side boxes, stove, etc. It makes for faster set-up and tear downs. And the taller rear door...awning is super nice. But the Chaser, I believe, is 400lbs lighter? That would be nice!

Good luck...don't think you'll be unhappy with either choice.

ventura911

Adventurer
wagner_joe said:
Ventura911-- where are you located.. Maybe I'll bring you my horizon for a weekend... to review..

Thanks for the offer. If you're local, I'd love to check it out. I'm in Simi Valley, CA.

I've seen the Chaser at last year's Offroad Expo at the LA Co. fairgrounds. I'm thinking of trying out AT's rental deal come next Easter Safari and enjoy it in Moab.

How does the Campa unit compare? I've only seen their website. One of the things that intrigued me about the Campa was that the main box was supposedly detachable. I don't know how easy this would be to do, but it might be nice to be able to use the trailer as a utility trailer the rest of the time.

Anyone use the Chaser or Horizon for general utility stuff? Taking the lawnmower in for service, hauling firewood, etc.? I believe the tops come off fairly easily, but if the top of the rear door frame could be remove, it would open up the back end and you could roll stuff in with a ramp. Just a thought.

Comments?

spressomon

Expedition Leader
ventura911 said:
Thanks for the offer. If you're local, I'd love to check it out. I'm in Simi Valley, CA.

I've seen the Chaser at last year's Offroad Expo at the LA Co. fairgrounds. I'm thinking of trying out AT's rental deal come next Easter Safari and enjoy it in Moab.

How does the Campa unit compare? I've only seen their website. One of the things that intrigued me about the Campa was that the main box was supposedly detachable. I don't know how easy this would be to do, but it might be nice to be able to use the trailer as a utility trailer the rest of the time.

Anyone use the Chaser or Horizon for general utility stuff? Taking the lawnmower in for service, hauling firewood, etc.? I believe the tops come off fairly easily, but if the top of the rear door frame could be remove, it would open up the back end and you could roll stuff in with a ramp. Just a thought.

Comments?

My Horizon isn't the best for utility trailer use. Mike S. on this board designed his own trailer so that he could carry 4'x8' sheets with the rear door down when he needed to use for utility...but the Horizon isn't wide enough. And with the tent atop my Horizon it really isn't practical to remove the tent and top lid to be used for utility use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz