Engine choice

owhiting

Supporting Sponsor
I am planning on building an overland vehicle from the ground up using locally sourced parts. It will be a mid sized expedition vehicle based in the U.S. with lots of weekend trips through the mountains of Colorado to Utah and longer excursions a few times of year.

What type of engine would you expo members choose? Now remember this is locally sourced stuff from the U.S. so no twin turbo 3.0 diesels from a Jag.

I am currently leaning toward the 5.3 vortec v8 as it is the least expensive and returns around 21 mpg in a full sized truck.

opinions please.

scrubber3

Not really here
The GM 5.3 liter would be my top pick. Unless you're looking to run a diesel. :) They tend to produce more low end torque which is preferred when driving most off road conditions. They also tend to be sealed much better than a gasoline engine so they can stand water fording better. Less maintenance and you can run them abroad with less issues since diesel is used over there more so than gasoline.

Revco

Adventurer
GM 5.3/6.0 or Cummins 4BT/6BT.

I have been thinking about building my own version of a Pinzgauer based on a TJ chassis. Handbuilt aluminum body with DOM Exo-cage, all powered by a 4BT Cummins.

owhiting

Supporting Sponsor
I agree with everything you wrote. We seem to be lacking a good diesel engine selection in the U.S.
We have no good selection of 4 cylinder turbo diesels available here. The cummins 4bt is about the only one and it will shake the fillings right out of my teeth not to mention it is over 700lbs and rather tall.

scrubber3

Not really here
Very true. Gasoline wise, the 5.3 is readily available for relatively low cost and like was said are very reliable and like all SBC motors, are easy to work on. Somewhat lightweight as they tend to weigh around as much as most of the larger 6 bangers. They have a very wide powerband as well. Yeah, if you don't go Diesel, go GM 5.3 or 6.0. To be honest, you could probably do an LS1 of you can find one at the right price. :) Lots of power to be had in those.

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Cummins 4B has my vote. If you use good Isolaters when mounting it in the frame and run a Balancer off a 6 you won't even notice any vibes.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Depends on the truck/jeep........
I'm a diesel guy, but even I have to admit that Diesels stink off road. Too heavy, big, and expensive.

My favorite engines:
Jeep 4.0L (for Jeeps)
GM 4.3L (for Jeeps that don't park on concrete, oil leaks LOLz)

GM 350 based crate engines. Carb's are ok for short ride trucks. Plenty of stand alone fuel injected crate engines out there now if you need better fuel mileage for longer trips.

GM LS based engines. Especially the 6.0L. Easy engine to source from 3500 Express vans. Junky GM Express vans fall apart long before the engines hardly even break in.

Ford 4.6, 5.4, 6.8. 2v engines are tough, the 3v mills are more powerful if you can care for them.

Ford 460. Simple, dumb, idiot of an engine, but it works. Not sure if there is a viable stand alone fuel injection system fo these old crate engines?

Ford 5.0. Easy fuel injected engine to swap into just about anything from an AC Cobra replica to an old F250.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Start with an old military M1028 I think it is- 5/4T Chevy long bed w/ 4.56s and TT front/Det rear. Remove the body- add whatever suits, even if it involves cutting down the unbreakable frame. Do the interior to suit needs and budget. They come with a 6.2/turbo400 auto, which means easy substitute to SBC and more modern auto if needed. All USA, all simple and inexpensive- and bombproof. Tons of suspension options available, and you can make the project as big or small as you want. Check the blue TJ on my sold page to see how to spend waaaay too much on a one off... You could even fit the rear of a 'burb to the cab, or do a CC with a bed, or a camper type- options are endless and not so bloody expensive.

owhiting

Supporting Sponsor
Great Ideas so far, 6bt is out because of size and also the old iron big block v8's. I will look at the 4bt more but it has a very narrow rpm range to work with so any transmission ideas to install behind it?

That was going to be my next quest auto or manual?
I like the manual and if I did a 5.3 or even a 6.0 vortec that could be kinda fun. Both these engines can use an electronically shifted 6 speed auto as well.

Thoughts

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
If you are truly going "ground up", and not adapting to an OEM harness, and not concerned with emissions certification where you live nor update/backdate issues (registration) relative to the year of manufacture of the vehicle, then similar to the above I suggest:

Full size truck - Gen III/IV V8 (4.8/5.3/6.0). An LQ9 from an Escalade, et al., gives you the most bang for that partucular block but the LY2 4.8 will give good power with less fuel use (more range).

Mid-size truck/Jeep - Gen IV V8 (4.8) or stroked Jeep inline (4.7) with aluminum head. The Gen IV will be cheaper but the stroker will be much fatter under the torque curve.

I have driven myself crazy researching repower options for my LJ and will be building a stroker with an ACH. But I am not starting from the ground up. I considered diesel options (6.2/6.5, 7.3), but did not want the weight that went along with them nor the driveline changes needed.

Good luck with the research. MANY options to choose from.

eric1115

Adventurer
If you're going ground up, why not consider a Mercedes diesel? An OM617 is SMOOTH, very efficient, and while not in the same league as a Vortec power-wise, adequate. Super reliable, quiet. I've driven Sprinter vans with this motor and it's great.

An Isuzu 4BD1/4BD2 (what they use in the NPR trucks) would be another option. Plenty of power, great parts availability, smoother than the 4BT.

Another vote here for a 5.3 Vortec if you're looking to go gasoline.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I honestly would want more information. Ground up yes but what axles how big of a rig. How many people for how long. If you are going as big a s a full sized rig ie blazer 1ton. Then your looking at a 60/14 for axels what ever for suspension but its going to get heavy. Now if your going shorter trips more jeep size rig. Why not look in to a 4.3 v6 small light easy to package. Then less power smaller axels ect ect. Just my 2 cents other wise the gm 5.3 is a great choice simply to get parts good power to weight.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
FWIW I had a 2004 GMC Sierra with the 4.9 (4.8?) auto and 4 wheel drive. This was a full size truck I used for construction work so I had a crossbed tool box full of tools and many times the bed was half full of tools as well. It returned 16-17mpg in town and 20-21 on the highway....20mpg easy hauling the motorcycle in the bed through the mountains of Colorado. It had descent power. The only drawback was once I hooked up my 2000lb flatbed the mileage dropped to more like 14-15 empty and 11-12 with 4k on the trailer.
Basically it was a good engine to move the truck + 1000lbs (tools and bike) but once you started working it it spent much more time in the higher rpms....It pulled surprising well for such a small motor but did use the fuel when worked hard.
Darrell

owhiting

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks for all the input so far. I currently have a Land Rover 110 300tdi and it is the perfect size vehicle for what i do. In regards to the OM engines they produce even less power than a 300tdi. The Isuzu is a very viable diesel engine with better torque than my current tdi and if not mistaken I think Rover trader did a 3.9 Isuzu swap in a rover and maybe he will chime in on how well that worked out.

czarthirteen

The bastard Icarus.
If you're going ground up, why not consider a Mercedes diesel? An OM617 is SMOOTH, very efficient, and while not in the same league as a Vortec power-wise, adequate. Super reliable, quiet. I've driven Sprinter vans with this motor and it's great.

An Isuzu 4BD1/4BD2 (what they use in the NPR trucks) would be another option. Plenty of power, great parts availability, smoother than the 4BT.

Another vote here for a 5.3 Vortec if you're looking to go gasoline.

Go with an Isuzu 4bd1T......you'll pass most other diesel trucks on the road if you stick to using it to power a mid-size, you'll also pass gas stations.....torque for days (remember, these are used for everything from NPR's to back-up motors for ski-lifts) and are bombproof.....just look to see how copied the design is....ahegm, cummins.

Advance Adapters has working knowledge and produced products for me before for a few trans applications.

Parts and service base is GLOBAL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior