Coleman Roadtrip?

JKJenn

Adventurer
I am getting a Coleman Roadtrip grill for free (yeah) from my brother. anything I need to know before I travel with it? any clean-up or general care tips?

It looks like the burner and griddle accessories get great reviews and I can justify the money since the grill will be free. :victory:

Wareagle

Observer
I have the blue model, maybe LX? Anyway, It works great. I have two sets of grill, griddle and stove grates for the thing. In all honesty, I have abandoned all of my white gas appliances. I now use the road trip with a Coleman northstar lantern attached to LP tree. Super convenient and reliable.

JKJenn

Adventurer
Thanks. I just ordered a propane lantern (Pinnacle) on clearance from Coleman that will run off of the propane, too. I have read a lot of great things about the roadtrip grill, so I am pleased to get it.

Any tips for storage or transport? When you are out camping, do you line with foil or do you clean the drip pan? Do I need to place a tarp underneath it if I put it in the back of my Jeep? I hav ebeen considering picking up a hitch cargo rack for transporting it, but I don't want to unless I have to because it seems like it would get in the way.

jCubed

Adventurer
I have the red model and love it. Use the grill and griddle. We don't line it, just clean it out every couple trips. We always throw a blanket or something under it since we used to pack it in the back of the highlander. In my Tundra we won't worry about that.

We are even looking at travel trailers and will still carry this no matter what!

JKJenn

Adventurer
Cool. The model I am getting is the red model. from what I have read, it cooks hot, so cook no higher than medium.

Can't wait to get out and try it this spring!

Junkinduck

Observer
I have the red one as well. We use it with our travel trailer. I would put something under it after it was used as a grill it will leak a little grease unless it is cleaned before we load. To clean I use a little dawn a brush then rinse with a hose blow it down with compressed air then light to dry it out before we store it untill the next trip. Cleanup is surprisingly easy after we get home and can hose it down.
I have the aluminum griddle which is great for pancakes (but had to add a plastic turner to the kit), the stock cast grill grates, and the pot grate.
When grilling do not shut the lid with the grill on high. It will melt the plastic. Med is about all the plastic will stand. I still take one of my Coleman stoves but wouldn't have to the pot grate works great for anything from an iron skillit it a large stock pot. With a travel trailer space is not an issue. I use the throwaway tanks because I like the portability I refill them and have been using the same four about three years now. Two will usually get me through a long weekend.

JKJenn

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback. Looking forward to picking mine up and giving it a try. Seems like an easy to use solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior