Ford Explorer Uk version

tacr2man

Adventurer
explo.jpegHi posting on here as US based forum question re problems with Ford explorer 4L V6 auto , as am contemplating buying one in UK , I am aware of the timing chain issue , but as a mechanic thats not a problem , Any other issues or comments appreciated as they are not very common this side of the pond and were only available from about93 thru 2001 . Its a 2000 model with 90,000 :)

Last edited:

Saiyan66

Adventurer
I have heard of spark plugs seizing into the aluminum heads on some Ford motors of that generation. So upon removal you strip the threads in the head. Not sure it applies to the 4.0 but it is worth checking out.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Did they install the self exploding Firestone tires in the UK? If they did you will have to replace them ASAP!:Wow1: Hence the name `Ford Exploder´:Wow1:

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Check out ExplorerForum.com - a large (the largest?) Explorer-owner forum out there. Based in the states, but there is a UK section.

Tons of info.

(There is even a Ranger section!)

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
we had one in Venezuela - kit built locally

yep had to do the timing chain tensioners- replaced both front hubs

modded the transfer case electric indexer- easy mod

Removed and doubled the standard fuel filter- getting rid of those pesky factory connections

added an extra leaf- added shackle lift

and a custom bumper for moving through traffic

DSC01839.jpg

DSC01338.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

DSC_0099.jpg

ihatemybike

Explorer
Yes you UK, did the tires explode?! 198 deaths are due to firestone tires in the USA!:Wow1:
198 deaths due to people not caring properly for their tires and not reacting properly to a blow out. Tests were done and the Explorer was proven to be no more prone to rolling in a blow out situation than its competition and the tires were fine when inflated properly.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
198 deaths due to people not caring properly for their tires and not reacting properly to a blow out. Tests were done and the Explorer was proven to be no more prone to rolling in a blow out situation than its competition and the tires were fine when inflated properly.

No disrespecting the ford people, its the tire that killed, and that company that repeatedly continued to mount that tire.:Mechanic:

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
I fitted Pirreli AT tyres....that rollover stuff was mainly house wives getting their first SUV - any SUV when turned hard when breaking will probably roll a bead or blow a front tire.

its just physics

Break only in straight lines in top heavy vehicles !

here's a Goodyear that blew out on the front of a suburban while I was overtaking a semi

DSC00126.jpg

DSC00130.jpg

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
OK you UK I will quit bashing; sorry if I was bashing here, just trying to give the heads up on defective tires. Please keep the PICS coming. Cheers, Chilli!:beer:

SteveG

Adventurer
Which 4.0L is it? Although the SOHC 4.0L makes a lot more power, I prefer the OHV 4.0L. It makes great, usable torque, runs well for at least a couple hundred thousand miles and gets better fuel economy than the SOHC.

It's probably not available where you are, but the TTB front ends are much more off-road friendly and are very easy to modify.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz