Raise top of trailer with RTT

XJINTX

Explorer
OK, my trailer currently only has a rack on it. To lift, especailly in cold weather it is hard for me impossible for my wife. I know i could / need to replace struts. I also have searched and see I can get some pretty strong ones.

My question is... does someone make a crank type lift? Kind of like on a fifth wheel for the front with a handle you insert? I'd feel better with a crank and struts.
I am adding a RTT and think that would make it impossible for wife to open.

I am also open to ideas for hingeing the back like a tailgate so access can be made from there?

inside1.jpg

opentop.jpg

rear.jpg

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
You should be ablet to get lifts to do the job. But a guy over on the blue FJ forum made a lift for his. Shows how it was done. Black bear or baby bear in the search should get you there. He had the same problem had to lift the lid to get in the back.

GI_Jeepin"

wander looking to get lost
Looking at your trailer, I see that you have the majority of the weight forward of the pivot point for the gas lifts. I have a couple of friends, they all have RTTs, 2 have steel skinned lids and 1 has an aluminum lid. They all have their lifts either at the center or slightly more forward from center, with forward being further away from the hinges. Its all about leverage.

Imagine a 250 man on a See-Saw with a 45 lb school girl. To get that See-Saw balanced you will have to put the pivot point closer to the man's side. Same principal.

Here is a photo of a trailer of a guy i met on a trip to Moab, UT. Aside from the coolness of his trailer, look at where he positioned the lifts. It is a steel skined lid that he can lift with one hand.

Attachments

• m416 Trailer Build (37).jpg
    m416 Trailer Build (37).jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 81

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Here is a photo of a trailer of a guy i met on a trip to Moab, UT. Aside from the coolness of his trailer, look at where he positioned the lifts. It is a steel skined lid that he can lift with one hand.

Very similar to my strut mounts. I have a heavy wooden lid, and with the RTT closed, can open it with one hand. With the RTT deployed, I have to use the snubber latches to keep the lid down.

Some longer struts positioned better would work great.

My strut positions;

TrailerProject035.jpg

Lid 'self opens' when the tent is open, I have to latch it closed.

trailerCJ005.jpg

XJINTX

Explorer
I live in Eddy, TX a bit of aways from Dallas or Austin... is there a good internet source for "better" struts and way to mount them? I had to use AutoZone :(

GI_Jeepin"

wander looking to get lost
I live in Eddy, TX a bit of aways from Dallas or Austin... is there a good internet source for "better" struts and way to mount them? I had to use AutoZone :(

I tend to find struts that are rated by PSI at RV shops. You can find them also at Auto Parts stores, but these days, the majority of folks that work in these stores will only know what the computer tells them. If your doing a custom job, they are not much help.

Amazon has them for cheap to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior