Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pioneer Tool Trailer

Hybrid View

Default Pioneer Tool Trailer

Here is the start of my pioneer tool trailer build. Hope to have it ready for summer. Its based on a military M116A1 trailer with the old 5 lug bud style rims and no trailer brakes. I have a M116A2 to use for the newer 8 lug axle and surge brakes. The nice thing about these trailers is that everything off the newer one should bolt onto the older one. The Travelall Ambulance is going to be the tow rig for it eventually. I have Michelin 1100x16 XZL tires mounted on Hutchinson beadlock rims for the trailer and tow rig. Have some rust repair to do on the big curved side doors, it uses rubber belting for the hinges which allowed water get trapped between them and the metal. Should have the parts switched over tomorrow and will then start working on the fenders. Stock ones pretty rusty and too small.003.jpg008.jpg007.jpg005.jpg001.jpg

Cool! I've never seen that military trailer before. Post pics of your progress. (The tow rig is cool too)

I like, that is one neat little trailerwhat size is it ?

Great set-up, Were you closer I would try to buy your Budd wheel remains,,,
    BTW The I-H is very cool, Always loved that bodystyle.
    Used to work with a guy he made a chopped roof lowrider of of that type Travelall...
    Good luck.

I like it! Are you going with the surge brakes and and hand brakes too?
    Pioneer trailers are nice and make great expo trailers.
    I have a 101A2 and don't have brakes, my 2500HD does not know it is back there.
    Great cornbinder, love the IH trucks.
    Keep the build pictures posted.

'I' want your trailer and truck!!!
    My mind's eye has your Rig already built.
    Seriously looking forward to your build, as stated above, post a lot of pictures.

Great find. I also have a pioneer tool trailer that I am building up for an expo trailer. I havent realy done much work on it. I will be watching you build for ideas and will send some ideas your way.

My trailer is about 8' long and just over 4' wide, interior dimensions. I am keeping the surge brakes, hand brakes, and rear stabilizer jack because they are really nice to have.

Well I ran into a bit of a problem today. My pioneer tool trailer frame doesn't seem to be exactly square. I swapped the tongues and the green tongue bolted right back into position on the tan trailer but the tan tongue wouldn't bolt back onto the green trailer. Spent an hour trying to get holes lined up but no go. I was a bit suspicious when I had the green trailer on jackstands because one side was about 3/4" high. Also after crawling around under both I found that the tan trailer is a bit heavier duty, its got 4" galvanized channel construction versus the green trailer with 3" plain steel channel construction. The tan trailer also has more crossmembers. Both trailer frames have the same outside dimensions so I decided to swap my pioneer tool box onto the tan trailer frame. This gets me a square trailer frame that is heavier and I won't have to run a brake line for the trailer brakes. I pulled the tan bed off and bolted up one of the new tires to see how it fit. I have to put the tan tongue back on the tan trailer frame now. I am going to pressure wash the frame and see about getting it painted this next week. Expo white anyone I would probably paint it OD but when I go back to Baja I don't want any problems. Here are some pictures of what I did this morning and afternoon. Came back home so the wife could go get a coffee with her friend. If anyone local wants the green trailer frame with tan deck when I am done they are welcome to it in trade for some muscle helping me move the box onto the new trailer frame. I am also looking for the adjustable jack leg for this trailer if anyone has one they are getting rid of.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a jack leg from under my 2nd M116A2.....although shipping from NY to ID may not be practical. PM me if you don't have any luck local.
    The R.O.A.M. Camper Build...Recreation Optimized Allterrian Module
    In Development....R.O.A.M II
    Toyota 2010 4Runner Silver Trail Edition

That Rim/tire look right at home mounted on the frame.
    List the parts on the Steel soldier website or craigslist and make some $$ back.
    The local rescue company has a pioneer for a support trailer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast