Pioneer Tool Trailer

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Here is the start of my pioneer tool trailer build. Hope to have it ready for summer.:) Its based on a military M116A1 trailer with the old 5 lug bud style rims and no trailer brakes. I have a M116A2 to use for the newer 8 lug axle and surge brakes. The nice thing about these trailers is that everything off the newer one should bolt onto the older one. The Travelall Ambulance is going to be the tow rig for it eventually. I have Michelin 1100x16 XZL tires mounted on Hutchinson beadlock rims for the trailer and tow rig. Have some rust repair to do on the big curved side doors, it uses rubber belting for the hinges which allowed water get trapped between them and the metal. Should have the parts switched over tomorrow and will then start working on the fenders. Stock ones pretty rusty and too small.003.jpg008.jpg007.jpg005.jpg001.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I like it! Are you going with the surge brakes and and hand brakes too?
Pioneer trailers are nice and make great expo trailers.
I have a 101A2 and don't have brakes, my 2500HD does not know it is back there.
Great cornbinder, love the IH trucks.
Keep the build pictures posted.

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
'I' want your trailer and truck!!!
My mind's eye has your Rig already built.
Seriously looking forward to your build, as stated above, post a lot of pictures.

djasinski

Great find. I also have a pioneer tool trailer that I am building up for an expo trailer. I havent realy done much work on it. I will be watching you build for ideas and will send some ideas your way.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
My trailer is about 8' long and just over 4' wide, interior dimensions. I am keeping the surge brakes, hand brakes, and rear stabilizer jack because they are really nice to have.

Well I ran into a bit of a problem today. My pioneer tool trailer frame doesn't seem to be exactly square. I swapped the tongues and the green tongue bolted right back into position on the tan trailer but the tan tongue wouldn't bolt back onto the green trailer. Spent an hour trying to get holes lined up but no go. I was a bit suspicious when I had the green trailer on jackstands because one side was about 3/4" high. Also after crawling around under both I found that the tan trailer is a bit heavier duty, its got 4" galvanized channel construction versus the green trailer with 3" plain steel channel construction. The tan trailer also has more crossmembers. Both trailer frames have the same outside dimensions so I decided to swap my pioneer tool box onto the tan trailer frame. This gets me a square trailer frame that is heavier and I won't have to run a brake line for the trailer brakes. I pulled the tan bed off and bolted up one of the new tires to see how it fit. I have to put the tan tongue back on the tan trailer frame now. I am going to pressure wash the frame and see about getting it painted this next week. Expo white anyone:elkgrin: I would probably paint it OD but when I go back to Baja I don't want any problems. Here are some pictures of what I did this morning and afternoon. Came back home so the wife could go get a coffee with her friend. If anyone local wants the green trailer frame with tan deck when I am done they are welcome to it in trade for some muscle helping me move the box onto the new trailer frame. I am also looking for the adjustable jack leg for this trailer if anyone has one they are getting rid of.

Attachments

• trailer 2 001.jpg
    trailer 2 001.jpg
    529.5 KB · Views: 42
  • trailer 2 002.jpg
    trailer 2 002.jpg
    527.9 KB · Views: 37
  • trailer 2 003.jpg
    trailer 2 003.jpg
    537.6 KB · Views: 35
  • trailer 2 005.jpg
    trailer 2 005.jpg
    529.1 KB · Views: 36
  • trailer 2 007.jpg
    trailer 2 007.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 35
  • trailer 2 008.jpg
    trailer 2 008.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 35
  • trailer 2 009.jpg
    trailer 2 009.jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 32
  • trailer 2 011.jpg
    trailer 2 011.jpg
    536.8 KB · Views: 39

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I have a jack leg from under my 2nd M116A2.....although shipping from NY to ID may not be practical. PM me if you don't have any luck local.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
That Rim/tire look right at home mounted on the frame.
List the parts on the Steel soldier website or craigslist and make some $$ back.
The local rescue company has a pioneer for a support trailer.

Attachments

• 571c.jpg
    571c.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 29

JPK

Explorer
Are you looking for an adjustable for the A2? The one you have looks like the one on mine and it is adjustable with a "crank handle." Perhaps the handle is all that is missing? I don't recall the end fitting on the handle, but perhaps a rachet handle and socket will do?

As for the A1 frame, the leg on mine is non-adjustable.

JPK

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Well I had about an hour today to work on it some more. Swapped the tan tongue back onto the tan trailer frame. Stripped the trailer frame of misc brackets, wiring, parking brake handles and the rear support leg. Just have to hook up the brake line and tighten some bolts up and she is off to paint. The parking brake handles met a forklift at some time in the past and are bent pretty good, either going to repair them or find new ones. I also need to rebuild the brake master as it was full of water when I got it, I bled it out real good but the damage was already done. Here is a picture of how she looked at the end of today. That white trailer for the rescue company sure looks nice, thanks for the picture.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    542.3 KB · Views: 16

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Are you looking for an adjustable for the A2? The one you have looks like the one on mine and it is adjustable with a "crank handle." Perhaps the handle is all that is missing? I don't recall the end fitting on the handle, but perhaps a rachet handle and socket will do?

As for the A1 frame, the leg on mine is non-adjustable.

JPK
No this trailer doesn't have a adjustable jack, I wish it did. My other M116A2 with stake sides has one I added, I use it for my utility trailer. Of course with my move I still haven't found the handle for it, I hope I didn't loose it.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Here is how it looks right now. Moved the tool body onto the A2 trailer this weekend, my 14 year old boy earned his keep Sunday.:) That box sure weighs a lot but nothing a pry bar and some blocks couldn't manage. It fits the new frame just fine. Just got a box of parts in the mail today from FJCruiser, thanks. Its the parking brake handles and the master cylinder which I will be putting on this week. You can see the A2 frame is much stronger with more crossmembers and corner gussets. No wonder the old frame was a little tweaked. I should start a build thread soon for my T-all, I have been spending some quality time with it too.

Attachments

• sale stuff 017.jpg
    sale stuff 017.jpg
    536.5 KB · Views: 17
  • sale stuff 018.jpg
    sale stuff 018.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 16
  • sale stuff 019.jpg
    sale stuff 019.jpg
    530.6 KB · Views: 15
  • sale stuff 021.jpg
    sale stuff 021.jpg