Carbon Monoxide Detector in Trailer- Where to mount?

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I want to mount a Carbon Monoxide Detector in my trailer for an upcoming cold weather camp -
We will be using a LP heater.

Do I mount the Detector high ... or low? What is the best mounting location?

D

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
CO2 is slightly heavier than air, but only by a very small amount. In our Bigfoot the CO2 detector is mounted up high near the bed in the cab over.

The propane detector is mounted at floor level under the fridge. Propane is heavier than air.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
We have both, on the ceiling(combo smokes and CO) and on the wall, at the campus where I work, and both are approved by NYS.

I like the wall one much better, I believe it's around 4'-6" off the floor.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
What type of LP heater? Remember that if it's a catalytic or similar you also have to worry about oxygen depletion in addition to CO/CO2. I'm going back and forth right not to decide if I want to go with a forced air or catalytic type.

Don

-

JPK

Explorer
Mount it right next to your head!

With a Mr. Heater I think you have to worry about both oxygen depletion and CO as well. Both the larger one and the middle size have a low O cutoff. The smaller one has a "sensor." But I wouldn't trust it...

JPK

WAND3R3R

Adventurer
For the low cost of CO Detectors and Smoke Detectors ($45.00), I don't understand why everyone wouldn't mount one in their sleeping areas, be they in a building or a vehicle? Better safe than sorry!
-AK

mvbeggs

Adventurer
Which CO detector?

Which CO detector are you guys using? Most that I've found don't work below 32F. I typically only use the heater when it is below freezing.

JPK

Explorer
Which CO detector are you guys using? Most that I've found don't work below 32F. I typically only use the heater when it is below freezing.

If the heater is working it won't be below 32* where you're sleeping and the detector will work; if its below 32* then the detector won't work, but then its below 32* because the heater is not working and if the heater is not working CO isn't a concern.

mvbeggs

Adventurer
CO detector that works in freezing temps

If the heater is working it won't be below 32* where you're sleeping and the detector will work; if its below 32* then the detector won't work, but then its below 32* because the heater is not working and if the heater is not working CO isn't a concern.

I understand your argument BUT....after talking to one manufacture's tech support, the problem is the batteries not the CO detector. They recomended not letting the batteries freeze. (Not sure why, my flashlight works fine in freezing temps.)

This is the only CO detector that I found that is specified to work in freezing conditions: Honeywell SF450EN
Problem is, I haven't been able to find anyone that has them in stock. If anyone has other recomendations, I'm all ears! :lurk:

JPK

Explorer
I understand your argument BUT....after talking to one manufacture's tech support, the problem is the batteries not the CO detector. They recomended not letting the batteries freeze. (Not sure why, my flashlight works fine in freezing temps.)

This is the only CO detector that I found that is specified to work in freezing conditions: Honeywell SF450EN
Problem is, I haven't been able to find anyone that has them in stock. If anyone has other recomendations, I'm all ears! :lurk:

The brochure linked to appears to be Austalian in source, so the product may not be offrered here. You may want to check with a good mechanical suppilier or A/C supplier (they typically carry heating stuff too.) If you're lucky, your neck of the woods will have a boiler/heating specialty supplier and they might carry it.

I'm in the commercial, industrial, institutional, governmental mechanical services business (meaning large boilers and large A/C, etc, systems) and I'll see if one of our guys can find a source.

JPK

mvbeggs

Adventurer
CO detector specified to work below freezing

One of our estimators did some research for me. The Honeywell SF450EN is not yet approved for use in the US.

Here is a link to CO detectors offered by Graingers which work below freezing, some WAY below freezing. Some are portable, for use by miners, plant workers etc., a couple are hard mounted. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ww...tors|carbon+monoxide+alarm&sst=subset&N=14284

Might get one for my trailer...

JPK

Thanks for the link. I was hoping for something more consumer oriented. (i.e. less spendy) Looks like this one fits the bill and is available through Amazon.UK. (Fireangel CO-9B)

I'll see if they'll ship state side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior