PSA: Sears Diehard Platinum Marine battery on sale

Stroverlander

Adventurer
I wouldn't be so sure about that, there is a lot of misinformation floating around out there.

According to Enersys/Odyssey customer support, they plan to continue supplying Sears.

Clutch

<---Pass
Was told that the Sears Platinum is a cheaper grade of the Odyssey.

"Odyssey makes two lines of batteries.The 'Extreme', which is the one that got them their name as a high performance battery, and the "performance' which is to get them more market share. I believe that the Diehard platinum is from the performance line."

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Where did you quote that from?

The Sears Diehard Platinum AGM IS an Odyssey Extreme. <repeat> The Sears Diehard Platinum AGM IS an Odyssey Extreme. They are available and no plans to discontinue.

So much poor info floating around out there, it doesn't really take much to contact Enersys/Odyssey and ask before posting second or third unverified hand info. :sombrero:

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Where did you quote that from?

The Sears Diehard Platinum AGM IS an Odyssey Extreme. <repeat> The Sears Diehard Platinum AGM IS an Odyssey Extreme. They are available and no plans to discontinue.

So much poor info floating around, it doesn't really take much to contact Enersys/Odyssey and ask before posting second or third unverified hand info. :sombrero:

I heard it on the internet, it must be true! We were talking batteries on another forum I frequent.

Meh, I'll just stay with Optimas... ;) Haven't had a bad one yet...broke one, but that was my fault.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Sears left Kauai. Lame. I hope Kmart honors the warranty like Sears said they would.

They still have them here, if it was really an issue you could probably island jump. Though Ala Moana is gone.

addition: Why would you want to buy from Sears if you know that what they would replace your current battery under warranty would be a lesser battery?

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Looking for some info. are these the same as the motomaster XD agm batteries at Canadian tire? specs look the same. I hope so, I am getting 2.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Canadian Tire looks like a Northstar...

http://www.northstarbattery.com/northstar/engine/batteries.php

NSB-AGM-34-78.jpg

kojackJKU

sure does look like a northstar. Anyone have any idea how they perform? Im guessing similar to the oddesey/diehard. and Much better than a standard battery. I want a good battery for my jeep and pop up camper and these fit the bill and available locally.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Northstar weren't really on my radar, mainly due to additional cost and difficulty of replacement over Diehard Platinum AGM.

The Batteries Plus X2Power AGM battery is a Northstar which retails locally for $251.99 and never on sale, although it's a five year replacement versus four years for Diehard Platinum AGM. So I didn't really delve too far into research but sounds like you can get a good deal and warranty at CT on them.

Wainiha

Explorer
Badm0t0, if I understand your question............

I bought the Diehard Platinum with partial payment and upgrade from the last Sears battery I had. I did not know they were closing the store at the time. When I inquired about the warranty(after I found out they were closing) I was told Kmart will honor the warranty. I was hoping that meant another Platinum, not a "Kmart" battery.

Good idea on the trip to Oahu.

kojackJKU

Cool, sears here does not carry automotive parts, so the Canadian tire version is the way to go for me.....thanks!

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Badm0t0, if I understand your question............

I bought the Diehard Platinum with partial payment and upgrade from the last Sears battery I had. I did not know they were closing the store at the time. When I inquired about the warranty(after I found out they were closing) I was told Kmart will honor the warranty. I was hoping that meant another Platinum, not a "Kmart" battery.

Good idea on the trip to Oahu.

I was also speaking in general. Why would anyone want to run out an purchase this battery[right now] with the knowledge that if it goes kaput it may be replaced by something that is not originally what we wanted. I mean half the reason we get it is for the ease of replacement and the other half is for the name brand quality/generic brand price, but if those are going to change, why run out right now to purchase one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior