Ordering a new axle. Big Bore vs small bore???

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
hmm that could be an option for sure. If possible I would like an axle that would fit. I guess I just feel like the less parts the less chance something will break. That looks like my solution if an axle cant be found though thank you!

tclaremont

Observer
What are your plans for the trailer? If it is a typical David Bradley, it probably weighs next to nothing, so I would not think that mounting 6 lug wheels in a lug centric manner would pose any problems. I am no expert though. Anyone else agree?

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Its going to haul a lot of offroad gear plus eventually a roof tent so I feel like keeping it as soid as possible is a must. Breaking something in the middle of nowhere and having to leave the whole setup would not make for a good day haha

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I have over 100k miles on my Jeep running lug centric wheels and it sees more weight and abuse than most trailers, you have nothing to worry about. Just order the axle length that will allow you to run the wheels of choice with the proper backspacing so you don't need spacers.

Waygoner

Observer
I ordered that same axle for my David Bradley. I'm running steel Chevy rally wheels with no trouble, although I haven't put any miles on my trailer yet.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Alright I'll try that then. I was going with a 61" axle to run 35" tires on it. I think that should work. Any opinions?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Mark where the center of the axle will sit and measure out from there to ensure the wheels and tires will clear with enough room to bounce around. Is the tub 48 inches wide? And I run 35's on my Jeep with 31's on the trailer keeping the tongue perfectly level, make sure you measure it out before jumping to 35's.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
I actually am going with 285/75/16 for now but wanna step up to 35 after. Another forum member said the 65" which he bought for the same trailer was too wide and he suggested a 61. I will hopefully measure the trailer tonight

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Ok so here's a new question. The trailer tub is about 51 inches wide from outer edge to outer edge and I want to clear it with the tires by an inch or two. I'm not sure of the back spacing with an h3 rim but by the looks of it with a 35" tire it bulges to 8" from hub to clearing the tire. Adding an inch or two per side for clearance I'm looking at close to a 70" axle? Does that seem right?

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
And I just checked the backspace according to an online source is 5.75" so round it to 6 add an inch clearance for both sides and times 2 plus 51 would be 65 and then you factor tire bulge so maybe a little under 70"

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Okay, measure from the back of the wheel's mounting surface to the most inward point on the tire where it would face/touch the trailer and add 2 inches for clearance/bigger tires, I hope that makes sense. Double that distance (for the 2 sides), then add 51 to that and you get the axle length.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
So I got 7.5 from the edge of the tired to the mounting surface so it looks like 9.5 each side plus 51 is 70 and since you have to order in odd numbers of inches 71". Well let's hope it works! Thanks for your help everyone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz