Husky Floor Liners - First impressions review...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
After my last couple of trips I've decided my new plan WRT my vehicle would be "no more half-a$$ing it." I've lived so many years just "making do" that I figure now that I'm done with school, have a decent job and my 4runner is paid for, I can build it up to be the vehicle I want, not the one I have to settle for.

So I made a list and one of the things on that list was new floor mats or liners. Like a lot of us in the snow belt I've gotten used by my floor mats getting soaking wet and filthy and I figured that form-fitted floor liners might be a good move.

I looked at both Weather-tech and Husky, and hearing of no great difference between them, I decided to try out the Husky liners. The deciding factor was price. Weather Techs were about $100 plus another $20 for shipping. Husky's were $90 with shipping included.

They came in on Friday and I installed them Saturday morning.

First impression: FAST shipping! I placed my order Wednesday morning and the liner's were at my house Friday afternoon! Not sure if that would work for everyone, I guess they're made near Winfield, KS (near Wichita) but that was impressively fast service.

Second impression: They were not as flexible or rubbery as I expected them to be. More like a cross between rubber and hard plastic. They were a bit stiff when I installed them, but then again it was quite cold (about 25 degrees) so that may account for some of the stiffness.

The fit: This, of course, was the big test because these are supposedly "form fitted" for my specific vehicle (99 4runner.) I have to say that although they do fit, the fit is not a snug one and there are a few visible gaps.

Here is a view of the driver's side installed:

2012_0212_175208AA.jpg

2012_0212_175213AA.jpg

The gap on the left side is not large but it is visible.

More troubling, to me, is the gap on the inside:

2012_0212_175229AA.jpg

The thing that bothers me about this gap is that it is located in an area where a spill might go. Of course, once the mats wear in a little bit, and are exposed to heat, they might soften up and conform.

The passenger side liners seem to fit a little more snugly...

2012_0212_175307AA.jpg

...but they are not without their own "gap issues":

2012_0212_175258AA.jpg

Fit is very close on the inner edge of the passenger side, which is nice. You can see my 2m HAM radio, which I had to move slightly to the rear and upwards in order to clear the liner.

2012_0212_175346AA.jpg

Back edge of the driver's side liner.

2012_0212_175335AA.jpg

Overall I'd say I'm happy, although I would like the driver's side to not have such a large visible gap. I suppose that it may settle in and be fine.

Having the liners sure is nice for inclement weather, I have to say that! They've already trapped enough moisture and dirt to make them worthwhile.

01tundra

Explorer
I've been running the same floor mats in my Tacoma for about 3 months now and have been very happy with them.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Your photos appear nearly identical to the way my Husky's fit in my Tacoma. I've had them for 10 years and they've worn well and prevented a lot of muck from soiling the carpets. I am planning on replacing them; maybe in another 10 years.

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Husky floor linners

Martin, I ran these in my GMC Sonoma crew-cab, front and back for 7 years, very little if any wear and they "wore in to fit after a bit" I loved them and You know where I come from. You should be fine with them No need for them in the Ranger tho,:) OEM rubber floor covering was stock or I would have done it again, see you soon, stay safe, Michael

rotti

Adventurer
I have had the Husky mats in a Chevy Tahoe now for 12 years. No problems, but mine have a much tighter fit then your pictures show.

I did just order a set of WeatherTecs for my soon to be here 2012 Chevy 2500HD. They also seem to get excellent reviews. I think they are both excellent products and both are made in the USA.

Last edited:

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Martin,

I've had Husky liners in my Ranger since '95 (not everyday, but when 'wheeling.)

They have held up great!

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I have had a set front and rear in my 2002 GMC crew cab 2500HD for the last 6 years.
They held up well and do their job of keeping the Pennsylvania salt slush from seeping under the door
step plates.

They are stiff in the winter and form well in the summer.
in winter I carefully pull them out and dump the frozen blob of muck out in the morning.
They work great with kids and hold a medium size pop. "Soda for the non Yinzer's"

Steve UK

Adventurer
I had these in my Jeep Wrangler TJ, Brilliant. In fact the first thing I did when I swapped it for a D90 was to source some for that. Sadly they do not make them, I even mailed the manufacturers but there are no plans to produce them for a Land Rover.

Just watch the spikes on the back!! ouch! :)

Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior