Real life MPG numbers wanted.

As another data point in this thread...2013 Silverado 2500HD, 4x4, Duramax, ECSB, stock 20" wheels and tires, Lance 815, GVW about 10K lbs loaded.

In a mix of interstate and back roads I typically see about 15.5-16.5mpg. On back roads, I'm usually running 50-60 and on limited access, 65-75, depending on whether or not I can catch a draft off a truck that's running a little over the limit. MPG drops to about 14.5 on level ground with no wind if running 70 and no draft.

Running solo, I'll set cruise to 65 and forget about fuel burn. Gotta love the exhaust brake on this thing, too...going down a long grade, just leave the cruise on 65 and it does the rest...never have to touch the brakes. Nice feature even in the mountains descending twisty sections, just gets a little "busier". :)

With camper off, I'll typically see 20-22 on the highway running the same speeds and drafting now and then. Certainly can't complain about that in a 7800lb truck.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Jefe is right about speed being a major factor. Although I've tried going 60 on my "commute" which is 90 miles of mixed freeway and mountain highway. It seems I get the same fuel economy or even slightly better if I do it at 70 or 75. I don't have the patience to try 50 (or 43!), but there are so many other variables. Wind, temperature, tire pressure, regae or death metal on the stereo...

It's just interesting to see what combos get what result.

CSG

Explorer
When I had my Lance 9' camper on the truck in my signature, with full water, propane, supplies, a wife and two little kids, we seemed to average 10 MPG. I can recall a few tanks where we averaged about 12 MPG and I was thrilled. I've been thinking of getting rid of the 5th wheel and going back to a small, non-slide TC but the MPG depresses me. I get around 17-18 in my Pleasure Way Traverse but I really miss the bath and shower as well as the PITA with a pop top.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Currently logging a 14MPG average on regular #2 diesel
It drops down to 12MPG or so on the winter blend.

Tall gears and a light weight camper helps :ylsmoke:

ct90rack.jpg

boxcar1

boxcar1
Just returned from a short ( long weekend ) scouting trip to the Joseph Oregon - 425 miles 1 way.
Ford F-250 / 302cid / T-18 4speed / 3:33 gears / 285x75x16 Firestones.
The rig is very light in comparison to most.
We averaged 12mpg over all on regular pump gas.
I was pleased with the performance of the truck as it is running a completely stock aspiration and exhaust system as we speak.
This will change soon as will the mileage , I hope.
The plan is to convert from the stock OBD #1 EFI to a Holy projection system , HEI dizzy, Banks headers and a proper duel exhaust system.
This should clean things up a bit.
I will keep you posted.

Just a stock picture of the rig .

435.jpg

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
That certainly isnt terrible, considering I NEVER net better than 16MPG with any 5.0 F150 Ive owned, even when empty with a shell.

Those days are long gone. Ive broken too many 1/2 tons to know better.

3/4 and 1-tons at minimum now! :sombrero:

gtbensley

Explorer
Currently logging a 14MPG average on regular #2 diesel
It drops down to 12MPG or so on the winter blend.

Tall gears and a light weight camper helps :ylsmoke:

ct90rack.jpg

Ida, I am going to de rail the thread a little for a moment. If I remember correctly your rig has got well over 250K on it at this point but is basically stock. What type of engine work, if any has been done to it?

Thanks

boxcar1

boxcar1
I absolutely agree with your assessment of 1/2 ton's hauling campers.
While it can and has been done, it's never ideal.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Ida, I am going to de rail the thread a little for a moment. If I remember correctly your rig has got well over 250K on it at this point but is basically stock. What type of engine work, if any has been done to it?

Thanks

Correct, basically stock.

And pretty good amount of miles. Just tripped 265k this last weekend.

Engine mods include:

** "tymar" style air filter
** Outer-wears filter sock
** EBPV wired to toggle switch on dash (works decent as engine brake, and REALLY helps engine warm up in winter temps)
** 3.5" downpipe, cat-delete
** custom three aught (3/0) battery cables
** super duty high torque starter
** Oversized glow plug relay
** recently installed TS 6-position chip
** Boost, EGT, Trans temp (auto) gauges

List of repairs/maintenance items that are engine specific...

** Injector O-rings @ 200k
** water pump @ 200k
** turbo rebuild @250k
** valve cover gaskets, and much of the glow plug harness related goodies
** glow plugs
** Oil cooler re-seal
** Idler pulley bearings
** vacuum pump

That's it. Pretty short list.

The thing is stone reliable. Even having more miles than both of the other rigs in our fleet, combined, it is by far my go-to rig.
I wouldn't flinch to turn the key and drive cross-country tonight.

deserteagle56

Adventurer

Just completed a 2,882 mile trip in the above setup. 2004 Ram/Cummins/6spd manual with a 9.5 ft Bigfoot 2500 camper. Unfortunately, not a pleasure trip so mainly on freeways at freeway speeds and it seemed that Mother Nature was conspiring against me in the form of head winds most of the time. Really powerful head winds from Tonopah, Nevada down to Kingman, Arizona with a lot of blowing dust and poor visibility. On the way back, from Cheyenne, Wyoming all the way west to Utah the warnings were out for winds from the west steady at 35 gusting to 50+. Plus the high altitudes (up to 8,500 feet) and blowing snow in some places. Might as well have been motoring along at 100+ miles per hour when the truck's speed and wind speed were combined. The worse part was the force of the wind coming between the cabover part of the camper and the truck's cab, causing the tops of both doors to suck away from the cab and creating a gawdawful racket. My worst mileage of the trip was on this Wyoming section - 11.6 mpg. Best mileage was 15.6 mpg across Texas. Overall trip average was 13.0 (all hand-calculated). But I'll say this - never once, no matter what the grade or the altitude or the headwind - I still had power to spare and could accelerate at will.

gtbensley

Explorer
Correct, basically stock.

And pretty good amount of miles. Just tripped 265k this last weekend.

Engine mods include:

** "tymar" style air filter
** Outer-wears filter sock
** EBPV wired to toggle switch on dash (works decent as engine brake, and REALLY helps engine warm up in winter temps)
** 3.5" downpipe, cat-delete
** custom three aught (3/0) battery cables
** super duty high torque starter
** Oversized glow plug relay
** recently installed TS 6-position chip
** Boost, EGT, Trans temp (auto) gauges

List of repairs/maintenance items that are engine specific...

** Injector O-rings @ 200k
** water pump @ 200k
** turbo rebuild @250k
** valve cover gaskets, and much of the glow plug harness related goodies
** glow plugs
** Oil cooler re-seal
** Idler pulley bearings
** vacuum pump

That's it. Pretty short list.

The thing is stone reliable. Even having more miles than both of the other rigs in our fleet, combined, it is by far my go-to rig.
I wouldn't flinch to turn the key and drive cross-country tonight.

Awesome, thank you for the reply. I am about to tear mine down for a couple weeks and do injector O-Rings, glow plugs, harnesses, oil cool reseal, and all the same stuff you have basically done. You have such a neat set up with the truck and your camper. If you are ever in the New England area let me know. I would love to talk about it and see it.

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
20160509_181421_resized.jpg

2004 Cummins, 4" exhaust, 60HP Smarty tow tune, AFE cold air, got 10.6 mpg average @ 80 mph on 2 5000+ mile road trips

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Does your roof rack have any sort of wind deflector in front of it? It looks like it could eat an mpg or two!

I'd have to drive sideways for the roof rack to have an effect! It's far enough back that it's out of the wind. 80 MPH has more to do with the dismal mpg number, but I'm usually in a hurry so that's what it costs.....

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I hear ya! I'm usually found at speeds of 70 or above. I tried going 60, but it didn't change my mpg at all. I take delivery of my factory ordered Northern Lite tomorrow. We'll see if anything changes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94