Captains 1994 x-cab Hilux

Guess its time for me to do a little logging.
For a little over two weeks ago I took the railway to pick up my new, unseen pickup. 1994 4x4 x-cab Hilux (Toyota Pickup) powered by a still lazy 2.4D "2L II".

98_1780738367_xl.jpg

One of the pictures from the advertisement.

It was a lot more snow (20") when i picked it up, so you can call it a fun trip home after a half year without my old truck :wings:

Last edited:
Its some rust here and there, so I'll change the doors after I've done some sanding and a new paint along with the tailgate, two new front fenders, the bonnet from my spare car, and fender flares from Iceland.

Picked the truck up on a saturday and drove to the most hilly mountain in the southern Norway to do some Red Cross "work". Went home on sunday and worked on the car until 05.00am (for 12 hours). Slept for a few hours and went to work near Oslo, 3 hours from home.
The few days I was home, I got the old 90s stickers rubbed off. Did a weak try of polish the whole car (Have to be redone with paint renovator).
Afterwards i changed the headlight windows in the grille and the exterior mirrors to chrome.

2012-01-30042312.jpg

2012-01-30142021.jpg

Had 11 days off and most of the time went to lift a mates truck with OME. Got to do some work on my too including mounting Arctic Trucks role bar.

Took the Recaro seats from my earlier pickup and just wired them up with the original seat heater.
DSC_0013-2.png

DSC_0023-2.png

Meanwhile I changed to the cup holder I also installed four switches from Hella - still missing two.
Winch ON/OFF, winch in (spring loaded ON), winch out (spring loaded ON), fog lights, driving lights in front, driving lights on role bar
_DSC0726-2.png

DSC_0024-2.png

The old, rear dampers were worn out, so they had to be changed. Out with the stock Toyota and in with almost new Old Man Emu.
2012-02-21134855.jpg

Just some pics from that day.
2012-02-21133519.jpg

2012-02-21142425.jpg

2012-02-21142512.jpg

enzo

Explorer
Nice rig you got there. Where did you get the Expo Portal banner on your windshield from if you don't mind me asking?

Well I try to do my best with it...

The sticker I had to custom order from a company here home. Just told him how I wanted it and discussed it through the 15 min job by prosessing it. Wanted a bigger one than what's sold here.

Last edited:
Another 11 days at home has passed. By that time I got to do a little.

First I picked up a pair of rain defelctors I got from the UK. Unfortunately one of them was able to transform itself into three pieces ... Mailed the seller and got it back together - for now. They're from a LN130 SSR-X Hilux Surf/4Runner.
2012-03-16134315.jpg

As the deflectors had been mounted I was in a mood of trying to get it look more like an expo truck. Resulting in a 3" hole in the front fender and me saying "glubb glubb glubb" while driving :D

Mounted a pair of old, Bosch foglights and did some wiring, including making the switches come to life.
2012-03-26131909.jpg

What it looked like when I went to work for a half week ago.
2012-03-26125426.jpg

Last edited:
Just came from the phone with a painter. Its all set. In two to three weeks the car will get a new paint. So when I get home I'll have to do a hell of a job welding, sand blasting and chopping the rust away. Luckily, for me, there stands an another pickup at home just waiting to donate some metal.

The OME had to wait another month due to a slow mailman ...

Got a mail if I was interested in a a set of Good Year MT/R 37x12,5x15" and picked them up a few days later --- now smiling from ear to ear! :wings:
Big size tires for 15" rims are hard to find used in Norway atm..

Tried the tires on but had to take the BW flares off to lower the car off the jack stand. Meanwhile taking them off, unfortunately more and more rust appeared behind. The paint job has to waint another month. Had a long discussion with some friends and ended up putting the BW flares on again. Thought I could drive on the 37" same day, but due to all the rust and the production of the new icelandic flares I had to mount a set of 31x10,5 BFGoodrich AT instead... For now.

A new bed from Texas was ordered for 2 days ago arriving in the middle of May.

Pictures will be added soon.

Last edited:
Yeah, its (maybe for some) weird. The price is good for an almost unused bed. A truck bed here costs $2500, but they have been welded. So by buying a bed with no rust is a great deal. Prices on original Toyota parts begins at $2000 + work + paint and even then, only the sides of the bed is in good shape. The rest could be junk as well as the old side panels. If you wonder I gave $1500 for it including transport and taxes.

EDIT: By unused i mean no rust or no junk. Only in worst case scratches and small bumps from 20 years in service.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles