Thread: Making it yourself!

Default Making it yourself!

There have been quite a few posts on the Travel Channel's Extreme RVs and Killer RVs but I found the solo-custom build by retired Navy pilot Doug Cuthbert for his family of five to travel Europe to be by-far the most exceptional, genuine, and inspiring! The 2-minute long YouTube is SUPERB! What fun.

http://www.travelchannel.com/video/a-year-long-rv-tour

http://www.masepoxies.com/DIY_Epoxy_...Aboard_RV.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dil4_PzS9mA

Jonathan
    Jonathan D. Howell
    Lieutenant Colonel, US Army

EarthRoamer XV-LT #15 "Around the World"
    "Americans travelling America"

Life Memberships: National Eagle Scout Association, Veterans of Foreign Wars, National Rifle Association, Military Officers Association of America, Army Engineer Association, Good Sam Club, North American Hunters Association...if I could: EarthRoamer, Overland Journal and ExpeditionPortal.com

Incredible! Great looking!

Here's the builder's thread, on this very board! =)

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ight=shachagra

That is great! Thanks so much!

Jonathan
    Jonathan D. Howell

Life Memberships: National Eagle Scout Association, Veterans of Foreign Wars, National Rifle Association, Military Officers Association of America, Army Engineer Association, Good Sam Club, North American Hunters Association...if I could: EarthRoamer, Overland Journal and ExpeditionPortal.com

hats awesome! Takes diy to a whole new level.

The expression, "We are not worthy!" springs to mind. Also, "Go Navy!"
    --
    DiploStrat

Web: http://diplostrat.org

Certified Expo Poseur - Lives on Paved Road

It certainly is creative and imaginative. For me it is the family inclusiveness that has the most meaningfulness. I truly appreciate the ability to generate a "team" sense of accomplishment and achievement - they certainly did that (and more) as a family with Shachagra. It isn't in the same league - maybe not even conceptually since I certainly didn't build my truck - but I take a great deal of pride in the work I've done for simple maintenance and I take a bit of pride in simply including my daughter with the collection of tools or rolling on the creeper to perform an inspection of a component before a trip. The best stories are ones where we had to work together after I got stuck - I mean after we paused for an extended appreciation of a landmark - and had to work together. Those sure are life - and living - skills!

I think it's great to find a treasure right in our midst. I still can't believe I missed it at the time.

Jonathan
    Jonathan D. Howell

Lt. Col. Howell,

IIRC, you were a major recently. Congratulations.

Thanks - I was promoted on 1 October 2011 and I am still getting used to it. It is satisfying to know that I can no longer make major mistakes! It seems now they have grown (groan)!

Jonathan
    Jonathan D. Howell

What I love about this approach is that he used his Naval exposure to influence cabin and layout. Most RV layouts are merely variations on the RV theme, but the idea of having smaller enclosed bunk areas beneath a larger shared area just seems to work well here.