Yet another 109 build Thread

aka rover

Adventurer
Hey Ed

Fantastic job! I hadn't seen this thread before now! Congrats on a job well done.

Daniel

Thanks Danial

I have been watching your thread on the 90 source, im already getting parts togather for my next build sprung over 88 with a V8!!...

Ed

aka rover

Adventurer
Thanks guys
I have been on the road for a few months now and have some great pics of it in action. Will post up when I get back in America .
Cheers Ed

Skookumchuck

Observer
look forward to seeing the truck in its natural environment. Great build thanks for sharing. I can't wait until I get my 109 back withits 200 TDI.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Man this is so awesome, what a great build! This is a dream of mine that you are building!

Last edited:

Napalm68

So 1 US gallon=.832 Imperial. So 30 mpg In Britan with the 3.54 defender axle = 24.96 mpg in the US. That sounds about right. I've been wondering why you dang Brits always seem to get better mileage than us Yanks.

I'm actually right in the middle of this decision myself. I'm using the om617 with a sm465 trying to decide what axle ratio to go with and whether to install the roamerdrive that I have. Standard tyres.

tommyd

Observer
I'd love to see more pics of the interior bed/stove setup, and hear more about opinions on the Mercedes engine after having driven it all the way to Central America. Great work.

Michele

Observer
(...) a pair of rock sliders! So this afternoon I called the guys down at Steel Fab one of the local steel suppliers and had them cut me a 12 ft stick of 2x3 rectangle tubing and a few sticks of angle flat bar needed to build the brackets and mounts to hang the sliders.

Hi there,

I may have missed it,
but how do the sliders bolt to the chassis?

I haven't looked at mine yet, but would like to sketch something while it's still on jacks and without most of the body.

Thanks,
Michele

Snagger

Explorer
So 1 US gallon=.832 Imperial. So 30 mpg In Britan with the 3.54 defender axle = 24.96 mpg in the US. That sounds about right. I've been wondering why you dang Brits always seem to get better mileage than us Yanks.

I'm actually right in the middle of this decision myself. I'm using the om617 with a sm465 trying to decide what axle ratio to go with and whether to install the roamerdrive that I have. Standard tyres.
For what it's worth, my gear box blew its third gear a couple of months ago - it stripped two teeth off the main shaft gear wheel. It was a stock SIII box, and the combination of the Tdi, OD and 3.54s may have been too much for it. It was great for cruising the motorways, but not too good accelerating around town, much like a stock SIII. I replaced the rear diff with a spare 4.71 (standard Series). Front diff is to follow. I think you'd be alright if you only use the overdrive in fourth - plenty of people here are driving SIIs and IIIs with 3.54s and overdrives behind V8s, though they tend to be simple 88s rather than heavily kitted out 109s. 4.1 diffs would be an ideal ratio with the standard Series transfer box and overdrive - better driving and probably better fuel economy than the over-tall 3.54s.

I'm now considering my options for the future - I'm running around on the repaired Series transmission and overdrive, but it's noisy and under geared. I'm considering an upgrade to an LT77 or stumpy R380 (better but dear), maybe even a ZF auto from a Range Rover, with an LT230 or Borg Warner with 3.54s or just the Series transfer box and 4.1s. The latter is the simplest fit - swap the diff ratios, get the Ashcroft mating kit and move the engine 4" forwards. My favourite would be to go R380 and Borg Warner, but that involves custom prop shafts and cutting out chassis cross members, but at least I wouldn't be spending on diffs...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles