Thule Trailer

Stromtrooper

Hello, first time poster, long time lurker. My friend Pathfinder turned me on to your site. I was looking for a sportsmobile about a year ago and realized that this site is a great resource, and good way to suck up some personal bandwidth. I wont' bore you with a long about me intro. Have owned many land rovers (including a XD), other "adventure type" vehicles, avid motorcyclist, photographer, bla bla bla.

Today I purchased a new Thule trailer to go behind my 2011 Jeep JK Sport. My purpose of this post is to see if anyone here has modified the trailer for adventure use. Maybe built a platform, cage, whatever. It is unique in that the front and the back fold down. It is also a tilt, but that doesn't do much for me.

P1270793-L.jpg

More photos can be found here

I am looking forward to seeing what you can share.

Brendan

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Interesting!! What are the specs? Width, length, weight, carry capacity, axle type. etc.?

What are your plans for this?

Stromtrooper

Thanks Don!
I am not sure the model. I could not find anything on the trailer and most of my google results point to that Thule stopped US sales a few years ago. They must not have sold too many. I took a shot of the specs:

thule.jpg

As far as plans go, I am really not sure. I have an achilles boat (like a zodiac) that could be deflated and put in the tub. I am considering have a frame built so that I can haul stuff on top of the bed area, pitch a RTT or use as a stage for impromptu singing in crowds (just kidding about that one). I did see a photo last night of sidewall extensions. But again, not finding any info on where to get stuff. The ground clearance is okay, but not what I would consider excursion ready. It has torsion suspension, so I am probably limited on how much I could raise it. The dealer noted that he could "block it up" for higher clearance.

It is galvanized steel, which will make fabricating mods a little easier.

B.K.

Stromtrooper

After looking at the photo in the post, I realized it could be hard to see.
The trailer is 5x8
GAWR is 220lb
Tire size is 13x185
and it looks like it was made in July 2008. Keep in mind I bought it new (yesterday) so the dealer was probably happy to move it.

jronwood

Adventurer
I have a fairly "weird" guy that I know locally. He showed up with one of those a few years ago. He had some heavy hard maple logs in it he wanted me to mill. Nice trailer, cool design. I would expect nothing less from Thule (good company). The only challenge may be the galvanizing. You may have to drill and bolt any major modifications as it is nearly impossible to get a good weld on anything galvanized even if you grinf ot bare metal (he galvanizing is still impregnated)

Jronwood

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke