ExPo 80 Series Registry

T-Willy

1. Year, model, color, etc
1992 FJ80 - white with grey cloth and no roof rails. I'm a big fan of the 91-92s. They're dead reliable, capable, comfortable, and simple - with one foot planted squarely in the past.

2. Name of owner/screen name
Taylor / TWILLY

3. How long have you owned your 80 series? Is this your first?
Since new (family rig).

I grew up with this truck, taking it all over the West and N. Mexico. Nearly three decades of great trips - so she's sort of part of the family. It's colored my opinion of other vehicles too - they don't feel as stout, well-engineered or sure-footed. The truck's recently gone through a lot of mid-life base-lining and a deep clean (pulling and cleaning carpet, panels, hearder, etc.). She's clean for her age.

4. Mileage at date of purchase and present mileage
Off the lot, and then turned a quarter million miles in the Kofa in March of 2020.

5. Your favorite mods... If any

I like things simple, light, and close to stock; I'm not into overbuilds, and I don't like lots of stuff hanging off my Land Cruiser. The handful of mods that I have made have focused on improving remote touring capability:

- Upgraded suspension and taller tires for better ride quality and height
- LRA 24 gallon aux fuel tank for ~650 mile range
- Campteq pop-top, which transforms travel

6. How your 80 is used... ie. DD, family adventure, overland travel, etc.
Remote touring -- in the West and Mexico -- and public-lands camping close to home.

Some photos:

IMG_3458.jpg

IMG_8638.jpg

6176706208_IMG_2178.jpg

IMG_4381-2.jpg

A40D9B47-A5B4-4CB6-973F-0719C7A463CF.jpeg

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
1997 FJ80 - grey Poverty Pack, Argentina Spec. Cloth seats, no sun roof, no third window sliders, no flares, just simple perfection.

Sadly I am just reminiscing, she has since gone on down the road and is already on a second new owner after I sold here nearly two years ago.

I no longer own her. Yes she was my one and only 80-series.

I miss the simplicity of the 80-series, the solid front axle was a huge selling point for me on these rigs when I was looking at building one. Sadly, very few remain in good order and even fewer remain with low miles.

I don't recall exactly but I think it had roughly 206K on it when she went on down the road.

Better rubber-KO2's, Slee Sliders, and the fact that it was a Poverty Pack, not many of those around in the states.

It was used as a camping rig, dog transport, and Sunday cruiser.

Some photos:

UucLE0E.jpg

T-Willy

1997 FJ80 - grey Poverty Pack, Argentina Spec. Cloth seats, no sun roof, no third window sliders, no flares, just simple perfection.

Sadly I am just reminiscing, she has since gone on down the road and is already on a second new owner after I sold here nearly two years ago.

I miss the simplicity of the 80-series, the solid front axle was a huge selling point for me on these rigs when I was looking at building one. Sadly, very few remain in good order and even fewer remain with low miles.

I don't recall exactly but I think it had roughly 206K on it when she went on down the road.

Better rubber-KO2's, Slee Sliders, and the fact that it was a Poverty Pack, not many of those around in the states.

Some photos:

UucLE0E.jpg

Beauty in simplicity. Very nice. Which motor?

Upland80

Adventurer

Some photos:

UucLE0E.jpg

Good looking truck and cool post! Let this be a lesson to others...they don't make em like this anymore. If you have one, hang on tight!

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Beauty in simplicity. Very nice. Which motor?

4.5L, would have been awesome with a diesel. I considered keeping it and doing a diesel swap when the 6cyl finally went out but it was time to move on.

Good looking truck and cool post! Let this be a lesson to others...they don't make em like this anymore. If you have one, hang on tight!

No joke, they are getting more expensive and much harder to find.

Imagary

1. Year, model, color, etc: 1997 40th Anniversary No. 2491 in Antique Sage Pearl ~ factory double locked
2. Name of owner/screen name: Ian & Kim / Imagary
3. How long have you owned your 80 series? Is this your first? The new 1997 FZJ80 is my 5th TLC. I caught the bug early on as my father had a 1968 FJ40 when I was growing up. I loved everything about that vehicle. I bought my first 1971 FJ40 in the 90's, sold when the military transferred me off Hawaii. Picked up a 1991 FJ80 in Guam and drove that for the next 12 years bringing it to Florida where I ran into a 1972 FJ40 that needed some love and brought that one home too. Another surprise transfer and fuel prices the highest I'd ever seen forced the {regrettable} sale of both. Every Land Cruiser I've ever sold has bruised my soul... Now that I'm retired from the military and on to a second career, I have an 1978 FJ40 in Dune Beige and then this new 1997 which I plan to build after baseline maintenance is done.
4. Mileage at date of purchase and present mileage: 152K purchased / 153K current
5. Your favorite mods... If any: More to follow & TBD will edit to include my mods once work begins. Only current mods are Center Lock & Upgraded Stereo System
6. How your 80 is used... ie. DD, family adventure, overland travel, etc.: DD and future BLM exploration / overland adventures
7. Your 3 favorite photos (keep them updated):
IMG_0396.jpg
IMG_0389.jpg
IMG_0407.jpg
8. Link to your build thread: Will start one soon and update!7BF08E9C-1480-40AD-A695-CD05D368AB04.jpegACFA8656-3C00-47BE-BBB0-852BFECC35AB.jpeg

Last edited:

mlith

Brand new to this world, been a sports car nut my whole life and while I've always loved camping and outdoors, I've only recently been introduced to the slow lane. Looking forward to many new adventures with my new LC! Some here may know this rig, was formerly in the care of @LandCruiserPhil .

1. Year, model, color, etc:
1997 FZJ80 Safari Turbo

2. Name of owner/screen name:

Mark & Peggy / mlith

Bought it just last month, and an epic cross country drive. You can read about the purchase and the trip here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/8cams-1800-mile-80-acquisition.1101245/

4. Mileage at date of purchase and present mileage:
164k and change right now, and I've only added about 2000 since purchase. Many more to come.

5. Your favorite mods... If any:
The turbo of course! Makes it feel like it should have come from the factory this way, smooth and gradual, with a nice flat torque curve. More mods to come, but this rig is pretty well built already.

6. How your 80 is used... ie. DD, family adventure, overland travel, etc.:
Family fun, backcountry adventure. We'll work our way up to multi-week overlanding.

8. Link to your build thread:
Haven't posted one yet, but I'll get there.

About five minutes after agreeing to the deal.
IMG_5836.jpeg

During the drive back east, had to check out at least a little of the famous Route 66!
IMG_5852.jpeg

Back home in the (very wet) North Georgia mountains, testing the old Warn 12k. Works great!
IMG_6172.jpg

Box Rocket

Brand new to this world, been a sports car nut my whole life and while I've always loved camping and outdoors, I've only recently been introduced to the slow lane. Looking forward to many new adventures with my new LC! Some here may know this rig, was formerly in the care of @LandCruiserPhil .

1997 FZJ80 Safari Turbo

Mark & Peggy / mlith

Bought it just last month, and an epic cross country drive. You can read about the purchase and the trip here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/8cams-1800-mile-80-acquisition.1101245/

164k and change right now, and I've only added about 2000 since purchase. Many more to come.

The turbo of course! Makes it feel like it should have come from the factory this way, smooth and gradual, with a nice flat torque curve. More mods to come, but this rig is pretty well built already.

Family fun, backcountry adventure. We'll work our way up to multi-week overlanding.

Haven't posted one yet, but I'll get there.

About five minutes after agreeing to the deal.
View attachment 489695

During the drive back east, had to check out at least a little of the famous Route 66!
View attachment 489696

Back home in the (very wet) North Georgia mountains, testing the old Warn 12k. Works great!
View attachment 489697
Congrats on the new rig. Should be a great one for you. Should have confidence in how it’s been maintained and modified. Phil does good stuff.
Definitely a different game from sports cars but from my experience can be just as fun.

m1ashooter

I've seen that LC of phil's on many different social media platforms and it is one of my favorites. It looks great. Congrats.

Montanatrout

I know this thread exists on one of our other favorite sites, but the 80 series that are generally on this site are more in tune to the overland/expedition flavor that we all love. Like most, I never get tired of looking at pics of 80 series, so why not have them all in one thread. Your pictures and post will help to inspire others and act as a quick reference to your build. As a minimum guideline for our posts, let's include:

There are a lot of great 80 series on this site... Let's see them. :)

97 LX450, 350k+, 5.3-4l60e-np208, stock axles, factory lockers, 35s
Montanatrout
Was our family rig, now it's my toy!!

Attachments

• IMG_20190127_174138075.jpg
    IMG_20190127_174138075.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20190127_174203839.jpg
    IMG_20190127_174203839.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 100

puravidafamily

NTM, ‘97 triple locked with 212,xxx on the clock. Looks like it was someone’s previous ExPo rig from the Dan Antonio Tx area.
df5ea0b6ef6ebf4a3c936e3587a2f5d0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrYotaGuy

There are a lot of great looking 80s on here.

1. 1994, FZJ80, medium red pearl (sun damaged)
2. Name/screen name:
Matthew / MrYotaGuy

Purchased January 2018. 2nd 80, 7th Toyota

Don't remember / almost 277k

Avid Off-road front bumper... for now.

Weekend getaways, toy.

20190422_122118.jpgE9C55E2C-0088-4C33-B894-FBD66B717124.jpeg20190113_093416.jpg

Soon... maybe

Attachments

• 20190511_143751.jpg
    20190511_143751.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 27

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
  1. Year, model, color, etc: 1994 FZJ80, GXL (Aussie spec), inland suntan'd Red
  2. Name of owner/screen name: Paddler Ed
  3. How long have you owned your 80 series? Is this your first? Coming up to a week, first 80, third Land Cruiser (1986 FJ73 in 2011-12, 1978 HJ45 ute since November 2016)
  4. Mileage at date of purchase and present mileage: 296,100km - put nearly 500km on this week...
  5. Your favorite mods... If any: Removed back seats, fitted USB sockets into centre console
  6. How your 80 is used... ie. DD, family adventure, overland travel, etc.: Daily driver and camping vehicle, replacing a 1992 4Runner
Sale picture:
Blanked Purchase Pic 2.jpg

With the ute:
IMG_20190818_163118502_LI 5.jpg

Link to your build thread: None yet

koifish

1. Year, model, color, etc: 1997 LX450
  2. Name of owner/screen name: Mike/koifish
  3. How long have you owned your 80 series? Is this your first? First 80, purchased in 2014. 100 Series before that, sadly totaled.
  4. Mileage at date of purchase and present mileage: 122,000mi - 181,000 currently.
  5. Your favorite mods... If any: Fridge
  6. How your 80 is used... ie. DD, family adventure, overland travel, etc.: Camping, road trips, fake overlanding.
sand hollow.jpg

side_view.JPG

joeu

1. 1994 80 Series LC
2. Joe | joeu
2 weeks | first LC!
Lift, front seat swap
DD
dawn delivery.jpgDSC07839.jpgDSC07864.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member