ExPo 80 Series Registry

KMM4x4

Observer
overlandnevada.jpg

Hi! Very often on the Internet the photo of cars at which to forward part the device similar to the antenna fastens come across to me. Tell please what is it and for what it?

faded

1. Year, model, color, etc: 92 HDJ80 GXL, White - 1HDT, H151.
2. Name of owner/screen name: Daniel/Faded
3. How long have you owned your 80 series? Is this your first? Roughly 3 years with this one, had a 94 FZJ80 for about 7 years before that.
4. Mileage at date of purchase and present mileage: 300ish kms - 355k
5. Your favorite mods... If any: GTurbo, LED Strip and Work Lights (Best bang for buck for sure) Safari FMIC, Awning, Warn 8274, Storage Drawers, Water Tank, ARB BullBar, Outback Accessories Dual Wheel Carrier.
6. How your 80 is used... ie. DD, family adventure, overland travel, etc.: Was my DD until a blown head gasket snowballed into a full engine rebuild last year, now just for weekends away and longer Overland/Touring trips.
7. Your 3 favorite photos (keep them updated):

8. Link to your build thread: Needs updating but: https://seekingthrills.wordpress.com/2014/07/26/1992-hdj80-land-cruiser/

60Dan

Explorer
Hi! Very often on the Internet the photo of cars at which to forward part the device similar to the antenna fastens come across to me. Tell please what is it and for what it?

Are you referring to the pieces of wire that attach from the bumper to the roof rack? If so they are called Limb risers

KMM4x4

Observer
Are you referring to the pieces of wire that attach from the bumper to the roof rack? If so they are called Limb risers
Yes. I about them meant. Whether they are necessary as I understood in order that the driver could know will be able to pass his car under the bridge, the overpass, and other low structures?

Spokruiser

1. Year, model, color, etc: 93 FZJ80, White
2. Name of owner/screen name: Ryan/Spokruiser
3. How long have you owned your 80 series? Is this your first? Roughly 2.5 years. First 80 series but third LC (60 & 62)
4. Mileage at date of purchase and present mileage: 51k then 68k now :)
5. Your favorite mods... If any: Center Diff Lock switch, 7 pin mod, cargo barrier, extended dif breathers with filters, 90 degree oil filter adapter, fumoto valve, cup holders, sand grabber floor mats (with many more to come)
6. How your 80 is used... DD and future plans as an overland adventure vehicle
7. Your 3 favorite photos (keep them updated): need to take some pics

Last edited:

KMM4x4

Observer
No, those are radio antennas. These are limb risers...
Thanks! It means only radio antennas. Whether I thought this device in order that the driver could define will be able to pass his car under a low obstacle. Still as option, thanks to this antenna you since other end of rise will is able to be noticed that there was no collision as the antenna is located highly and on a bumper.

zipdoa

1. Year, model, color, etc: 1990 Toyota Land Cruiser (HDJ81) - JDM Import with a 1HD-T
2. Name of owner/screen name: zipdoa
3. How long have you owned your 80 series? Is this your first? First cruiser, owned for 1 week. This is my first offroad vehicle in years. I'm an Audi guy (Stage 3 allroad, UrS4's, anything 2.7t), so the cruiser is quite the departure from my normative vehicular ownership
4. Mileage at date of purchase and present mileage: Purchased @ 268,000 - sits at 276,000 now
5. Your favorite mods... If any: James Baroud RTT, Turboback Exhaust
6. How your 80 is used... ie. DD, family adventure, overland travel, etc.: Overland travel
7. Your 3 favorite photos (keep them updated): See below
8. Link to your build thread:N/A

I bought this Cruiser last week. I've wanted one for a while, along with a RTT and the necessary expo gear. I'm excited to finally get this project underway! I immediately drove it from Calgary, AB to Durango, CO to purchase a used James Baroud XXL RTT. Here's a couple pics I snapped along the way:

WgkZOj3.jpg

CsAmLAr.jpg

X8LlMWE.jpg

oBewu33.jpg

Last edited:

north2south

1. Year, model, color, etc:

1993 Blue FZJ80

2. Name of owner/screen name:

Joshua (north2south)

3. How long have you owned your 80 series? Is this your first?

Since April 2015 (almost 5 months at time of posting)

4. Mileage at date of purchase and present mileage:

DOP:163K Present:166K

5. Your favorite mods... If any:

No cool mods yet but Ive got plans

6. How your 80 is used... ie. DD, family adventure, overland travel, etc.:

So far just some off-roading and camping around Souther California
But I got the turck for a trip from Alaska to Patagonia

7. Your 3 favorite photos (keep them updated):

IMG_4073.jpgFront 4.jpg

8. Link to your build thread:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-to-Patagonia-93-FZJ80-Build-Adventure-Thread

Also check out CruisingSouth.com and our Instagram @CruisingSouth

barbatus

My first LandCRUSHER

1. Year, model, color, etc: 1997 Landcruiser 80 series, 40th edition - petrol
2. Name of owner/screen name: Barbatus
3. How long have you owned your 80 series? Is this your first? 3 months, my first (had an FJ cruiser and an FJ40 before this)
4. Mileage at date of purchase and present mileage: 250K
5. Your favorite mods... If any: touchscreen radio with apple carplay and columbus roof top tent + all my lights :)
6. How your 80 is used... ie. DD, family adventure, overland travel, etc.: going camping and stuff with the wife and dogs
7. Your 3 favorite photos (keep them updated): See below
8. Link to your build thread: NA

3af87ade0681e5aba8170938ee7bc8b5.jpg

3eef756feb5a5eded543adbc8fefcceb.jpg

93dea0a0146918e04550a05381beb2eb.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1777.jpg
    IMG_1777.jpg
    538.4 KB · Views: 29

40-Overlander

Questions before buying..

So I have some questions for anyone that has a high mileage FZJ80. Mainly has anyone had any mechanical issues after 200K miles? Just trying to wrap my head around what to expect if I do decide to purchase a 97 with 208K miles. One previous owner, ~207K miles, appears to be well serviced throughout it's life, and is currently for sale at a Toyota dealership. How many miles could I expect from this vehicle before having to replace anything? Should I keep an eye out for specific repairs/maintenance? Thanks for all the help out there!

Box Rocket

So I have some questions for anyone that has a high mileage FZJ80. Mainly has anyone had any mechanical issues after 200K miles? Just trying to wrap my head around what to expect if I do decide to purchase a 97 with 208K miles. One previous owner, ~207K miles, appears to be well serviced throughout it's life, and is currently for sale at a Toyota dealership. How many miles could I expect from this vehicle before having to replace anything? Should I keep an eye out for specific repairs/maintenance? Thanks for all the help out there!
This is a difficult question to give an accurate answer to since there are so many factors to long term reliability of these (or any vehicle). If you find one that has been well cared for and routine maintenance has been consistent, then you can generally expect excellent reliability. If it's been neglected then it's anyone's guess what you might be dealing with. However, these are typically extremely reliable trucks even with some level of neglect. 208K miles is not too bad IMO. Right off the bat, I would plan to inspect replace several, if not all, of the coolant hoses, particularly the PHH since they are prone to failure at higher mileage. The only other issue to do some research on would be the head gasket. I've had two FZJ80's, my first was a '93. It had ~300K miles on it when I sold it with very few issues and no problems with the HG or the motor. I bought my second 80 in December, a '95 with 180K miles on it and the HG blew at about 190K. I've had it replaced now and the truck is running great with 204K miles and I plan on getting a bunch more out of it. The HG is a hard one to predict so get as much information as you can up front.
Chances are good that the front axle seals will be leaking and need to be replaced. There's tons of info online about how to save yourself a bunch of money and do that service yourself.
I'm a big fan of these trucks. They are not fast by today's standards for big SUV's so don't plan on winning any races in them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles