Keen Shoes

Warrenpfo

Not sure if this is the best place to post this question but I wondered if anyone had any opinion on Keen Shoes and if they are any good for all day wearing around town on the trail, driving with walking through water and then chilling by the camp site in the evening.

I think the open sandal type shoe would be best but just thought I would ask as I am in the market for a pair.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
My wife has a pair of Keens she wears for a large part of the summer and 90% of the time we're out camping, etc. She's very happy with thema dn they seem to hold up very well.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I need a wide toebox and the Keen oxfords and mid lengths work great for me. They wear forever. I get mine at REI when they have their 20% off sale. Sometimes the shoe that felt Kosher at the beginning sucks down the line. Their return policy is unbeatable.

Woodsman

Adventurer
Plenty of people love them. I bought a pair on the net and tried them out around the house. They definitely run small IMO as this was the only pair of shoes that I've ever purchased that didn't fit in my normal size. I wasn't a big fan of the stubby bumper look so I just returned them for refund.

crismateski

American Adventurist
I have multiple pairs of Keens, I use there new industrial line (steel toe) at work on a daily basis, and even on weekends. I also have a pair of the snow county boots, hiking boots, rubber sole slippers (great in the camp site) and the water shoes. love every pair, the toe boxes are huge, even with the steel toe.

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
I've got a couple of pairs. I had a pair of their hiking boots and they served me very well while crawling around the rocks at Moab, the mud of East Texas, the Tillamook State Forest, and multiple other hikes and work excursions. The soles finally wore out beyond repair. I also have a pair of knock-around everyday Keens that are very comfortable and durable. The wife has had a pair since 2004 (which she frequently wears), and they've worn very well.

FYI, I replaced my Keen hiking boots with Teva hiking boots. So far, so good on those, too.

- Andy

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I've been wearing a pair of their hiking boots for about a year.

They are reasonably comfortable (obviously, that depends on your foot shape matching their boot), they are relatively light, breathe well, decent traction (even when wet), but the soles keep falling apart. I've glued several sections back on, just to have a different section start peeling back a month later. I don't recall ever having boots fall apart this quickly before. I wouldn't buy another pair.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Lord, I am getting old and/or tired. I saw the title and thought "he didn't really describe them as keen, did he?" :coffee:

D

Deleted member 43491

I have heard many good things about them! I have never personally worn them BUT I have at least a dozen friends who wear them instead of Danner combat hiker boots while deployed and they hold up very well to everything that entails!!

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
I used to love them but I found that I would blow through a pair far too quickly. The last straw was a pair that I bought before a trip to Europe. They went from brand new to holes and a worn sole in three weeks. Since then, I have avoided Keen and moved to Ecco. Pricier, but far better quality.

Pete

Zatara

Adventurer
The early ones held up much better and seem to be better made.
Last pair I had came apart and were replaced by keen then the soles wore out after just a couple months of use.

Ridge638

Love them. Especially the toe box. Hiking in rocky areas is great and walking Down steep hills where I would jam my toes in some other shoes just doesn't happen in these. I currently have two pairs of Keen boots, and two different sandals but have worn out a few other pairs that I still keep for yard work,etc. Take a look at the seams and stitching on Keens compared to other similar priced shoes - they are better. Only hang up I have is that the sandals have large vent holes and will allow small rocks to slip in if you are in gravel or crossing a stream and you need to remove them to get the pebbles out, you can't just shake your foot to clear them. I usually wear a super lite sock with the sandals if I know I will be in a lot of gravel, it helps keep the debris out.. One other good thing about the sandals is that you can throw a rubber band around them and the compress together fairly well for ease of storage in your pack. Buy at least a half to one size larger than you normally wear as they run small.

Redrock

Observer
They're fairly mediocre shoes. They're comfortable out of the box, but I'd hesitate to depend on them for serious backcountry hiking or backpacking. They tend to be fairly floppy, and the soles are substandard in their durability and traction characteristics. I've been much more impressed by Montrail, La Sportiva, and Patagonia footwear.

BillTex

Adventurer
They're fairly mediocre shoes. They're comfortable out of the box, but I'd hesitate to depend on them for serious backcountry hiking or backpacking. They tend to be fairly floppy, and the soles are substandard in their durability and traction characteristics. I've been much more impressed by Montrail, La Sportiva, and Patagonia footwear.

I agree...they are VERY comfy around town/camp...but start to push them on anything technical and forget it.
Maybe it's my foot type...but I am not hiking in mine any longer...I will put them on when I get back to camp though!

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles