Stock Tacoma Wheels & Tires on Chaser?

mvbeggs

Adventurer
Anyone running stock Tacoma wheels and tires on a Chaser?

A quick measurement gave me 7" from the wheel mounting surface to the edge of the trailer tub. I measured the backspace on the Tacoma wheels at about 5 1/4". It appears a stock Tacoma wheel, with the stock LT265/70R16 mounted, will clear by only 5/8" inch. Seems a little too close to me. I'd feel better with 1"- 1 1/2". Anyone have any experience with this tire/wheel combo?

It appears a narrower tire, LT235/85R16, would clear with a little over an inch clearance. Anyone running this combo?

mvbeggs

Adventurer
Spacers will solve the problem, or find wheels that fit without spacers.

Thanks, spacers would definitely give me the clearance needed. My current setup (Toyo MT 37x13.5) is running a 2" spacer. Just wondering if anyone is running this setup without the use of spacers.

I could find wheels with different backspace for the trailer, but then they wouldn't fit the Taco. I like to carry only one spare that fits both the vehicle and trailer.

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
First, if you are buying a new Chaser, you should be talking to Mario or Martyn.
You will not believe what these guys will do for you.

If you are buying a used Chaser, you will need spacers/adaptors anyways to run most of the Tacoma wheels. Depends on what year the wheels are from.
You see, the axels, even if they are six lug, will not have the hub centric drums to properly center the wheels. I have seen some wheels run without hub centric spacers, but I bet if it were on a car, you surely notice the vibration.

IMGP0957.jpg
This picture is on my trailer which is not a Chaser, but you can see the ring at the center of the adaptor that centers the wheels.
Jeff

mvbeggs

Adventurer
Hub centric?

First, if you are buying a new Chaser, you should be talking to Mario or Martyn.
You will not believe what these guys will do for you.

If you are buying a used Chaser, you will need spacers/adaptors anyways to run most of the Tacoma wheels. Depends on what year the wheels are from.
You see, the axels, even if they are six lug, will not have the hub centric drums to properly center the wheels. I have seen some wheels run without hub centric spacers, but I bet if it were on a car, you surely notice the vibration.

View attachment 86554
This picture is on my trailer which is not a Chaser, but you can see the ring at the center of the adaptor that centers the wheels.
Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for the response.

I already have a Chaser that is set up to run the Jeep wheels (5x5 lug pattern) with 37x13.50 tires. (requires a 2" spacer) The plan is to buy an extra set of 6x5.5 lug pattern (Tacoma) drums to swap out the Jeep drums, when I want to use the Tacoma to pull the trailer. I was hoping to run the Tacoma wheels without having to buy new spacers too.

I'll have to check out the "hub centric" spacers. Never heard of that. "Hub centric", does that mean the centerline of the lugs are the same radius from the center of the hub? If that is the case, why would anyone use a non hub centric spacer? Seems like the vibration would be terrible at moderate to high speeds.

mvbeggs

Adventurer
Hub Centric Spacer- What is it?

....I'll have to check out the "hub centric" spacers. Never heard of that. "Hub centric", does that mean the centerline of the lugs are the same radius from the center of the hub? If that is the case, why would anyone use a non hub centric spacer? Seems like the vibration would be terrible at moderate to high speeds....

Found the information regarding hub centric spacers here. Makes sense now. Thanks for the heads up!

I now understand that it is this ring, that aligns the wheel to the hub, that makes the spacer hub-centric.

hubcentric spacer copy.jpg

BTW, IIRC, the drums that come on the Chaser are not hub centric and neither are the spacers provided by AT. They rely on the conical lug nuts to center the wheel on the hub.

Last edited:

Pikeman

Adventurer
Most Toyota wheels are both Hub and Lug centric. I am using Tacoma wheels on my trailer as lug centric(conical shape nuts) and have no issues with vibration as the rims are designed to run as both. Hub centric only centers the rim in relation to vertical relation to the lugs. Then to center front to back on the lugs they use a conical shape on the rim and lug nut, which if you do not have the hub ring will also center the rim vertically.

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
To truly get this question answered by professionals, I would suggest that you contact the very nice people @ All-Pro off road in Hemet.
Sometimes little statements are missed or are misconstrued in a forum.
In my case, I wanted everything to be the same, the wheels, tires and lug nuts. I even put pressure sensors on the trailers wheels in case I needed to put them on my truck.
FYI, I replaced all of my lug nuts to get rid of the soft covers.

Just the way I do things.
Jeff

mvbeggs

Adventurer
Confirmed Measurements- Tacoma Stock Tire/Wheel mount to Chaser?

Pulled the wheel off the Tacoma and did some measuring. The stock Tacoma wheel with 265/70R16 tires mounted, measured 6 1/4" from the rim mounting surface to the inside edge of the tire.

Total clearance for the Chaser measured 7". (measured from outside of drum surface to the trailer frame)

3/4" clearance might be a shade tight. Looks like the stock Tacoma wheels require spacers or a narrower tire to run on the Chaser.

STREGA

Explorer
I bought a used AT Horizon trailer with OEM Toyota wheels(265/75-16 tire) and it had the wheel spacers already on it, I don't believe the OEM wheels with those tires would have fit without the spacers. Talk to the AT guys for the correct info, IIRC they sell the spacers also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior