looking for some info

DesertXJ

Observer
Hi everyone,

Been looking at the trailers some of you have and trying to decide what would be best for my family and I. My main question is what are the sizes that most are pulling behind their Rig. I'll be mostly towing with my Cherokee XJ but have to option to tow with my wife's Envoy. I'm probably going to build something that would suit my needs but would be nice to know what to start with for a foundation.

I've been looking for an old small tent trailer, or a military trailer. But they get harder to find for a good price that aren't scooped up right away.

Some of the trailers that I've seen you guys have are awesome both bought and built.

Pikeman

Adventurer
If you look at the major manufacturers of tub style trailers they are based on the 1/4 ton military(m416,M100, CDN M101) which are basically a 4x6 box. This seems to be the most common size. If you look at the homebuilts they are anywhere from a 4x4 to 6x10. It will all come down to how you plan to use it and the amount of creature items/ gear you plan on needing or taking along on your trips. If you are leaning more towards a tear drop set-up a 4x8 is about the smallest and more common is a 4x9 or 5x9. I hope this helps you with some of your decisions. Another good practice is get the stuff you are planning on taking in the trailer and lay tape out on the floor and see if it will fit the size you think you will need. obviously for ease of use on the trail and also weight savings the smallest you can use to haul all the stuff you need is the way to go.

DesertXJ

Observer
Black_ZJ
What are you intending to use it for?

As an expedition type trailer, camping/gear etc.

Pikeman
If you look at the major manufacturers of tub style trailers they are based on the 1/4 ton military(m416,M100, CDN M101) which are basically a 4x6 box. This seems to be the most common size. If you look at the homebuilts they are anywhere from a 4x4 to 6x10. It will all come down to how you plan to use it and the amount of creature items/ gear you plan on needing or taking along on your trips. If you are leaning more towards a tear drop set-up a 4x8 is about the smallest and more common is a 4x9 or 5x9. I hope this helps you with some of your decisions. Another good practice is get the stuff you are planning on taking in the trailer and lay tape out on the floor and see if it will fit the size you think you will need. obviously for ease of use on the trail and also weight savings the smallest you can use to haul all the stuff you need is the way to go.

Thanks for the idea, my base would be probably similar to M416... No tear drop. I plan on it being off-road suitable with a lock n roll type hitch, probably the same tire/wheel combo as my jeep.

Last edited:

hollaback55

Explorer
i think the old style military trailers should work great for your application, sometimes its a bit hard to find one that hasn't been weathered quite a bit but they are still out there. if your willing to drive check up north in michigan area. that is where mine came from and it was practically brand new when i got it; all original items were in fantastic shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles