Dog Catcher Camper for Truck may work for exped travel....really.

davej

Ok..this may sound nutty, but I'm consider buying a dog catcher topper for my truck for expedition travel. I think they'd make a great camper.

wolverine.jpg

They are well insulated, ventilated, look really sturdy....

What do you think? I know a guy who's selling a used one pretty cheap and am going to check it out this weekend.

Dave.

Last edited:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
go for it, and if you don't like it you could always sell icecream out the side windows- 'bark for ice cream'
seriously, I can certainly see the merit

davej

....pulled these stats off their website. Not sure what a few of them mean...

2 x 4 Cedar base plates
1-1/2" side-front-back walls
2 x 4 Roof construction
Aluminum interior
Fiberglass Insulation
1-1/2" in sidewalls
3-1/2" in roof
Aluminum exterior
030 Thousands
Color polar white
3" Greyhound
6 Doors
2 each side towards front 20" x 20" rough opening
2 Back doors 26" x 36"
2 - 8 x 16 side vents in rear
Exhaust fan
12 volt light
3/4 Flat expanded aluminum .125
All doors are lockable and keyed alike
All doors have U and chair channel trim (door trim is .062th)
Garage door seal between box and cover 3-1/2"
Stoplight on back top of cover 1" x 6"

davej

...I should have expected the dog jokes. :wings:

Here's pic of the actual camper top. Look a little less 'doggie' than the stock pic.
dogwagon1.jpg

And if it has 1.5" - 3.5" of insulation plus those other features, I'm gonna seriously consider it.

Anyone else think it would work really well compared to other similar 'camper' tops?

ToolBox Guy

Adventurer
My head is buzzing with the amount of doggie jokes that could go into this post, but I say go for it. I saw our local animal control trucks the other day and thought that the beds would make an awesome camping rig.

davej

Here's an interior shot...kinda hard to see details. It does look like it'd be easy to modify/remove what caging is there.

dogwagon2.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I fail to see a reason why you wouldn't go for it. Lots of options, and if the price is right???

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
If the price is right, go for it!:Wow1: Pressure wash it and give it some bleach and you can kill most any smell. Also, if the misses gets out of hand you have a place to lock her up...:)

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Looks good to me!
Double doors in the rear, extra height, and a hole for a heater/ac already cut.
remove the cages inside, and replace the two doors on the side with one for the camp kitchen access.
Keep us posted on the decision.

davej

I debating between this one and an ARE DCU topper. Both have their merits, I suppose. I can get either one for around or under $500. I have to admit, I'm leaning towards 'dog town'.

I got a feeling the girlfriend is just gonna shake her head and say 'What the heck were you thinking...'.

If/when I get it, I'll be sure to post some pics.

Last edited:

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
As Randy JAckson would say " Buy it , Dawg"......:peepwall:

Sorry...just had to.

Looks like a good start. I've been looking at the contractor style shells lately myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94