Jeep GVWR question

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
So I was talking to Mrs. Bigdaddy tonight about GVWR tonight on the way home from dinner. The conversation was spurred by an article I read by J. Hanson about the subject.

As we got home she asked me if I knew what my Jeep and her Ford Edge's payload ratings were, and I didn't so I looked @ our door plates to find out.

Here's what I found and calculated. I was somewhat surprised at my jeep's data:

Ford Edge GVWR: 5300lbs
Curb weight: 4100lbs
Payload: 1200lbs

Jeep Cherokee GVWR: 4900lbs (from my data plate and verified online)
Curb weight: 3100lbs (info gleaned from the internet...)
Payload: 1800lbs (??)

and for comparison...

Mitsubishi Montero GVWR: 5700lbs
Curb weight: 4400lbs
Payload: 1300lbs

Could that data be correct? Do Jeep cherokee's have that high a payload? Not looking for a this is better/that is better conversation...Just surprised by the info that I found on 5-6 different websites for the cherokee. Wondering if I'm missing a step here?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
XJ's weigh around 3,200 pounds. It's not uncommon for them to weight over 4,000 all geared up.
Payload is only 1,150 on the ones I've driven. It's easy to overload an XJ.

5 college students makes an XJ throw a shower of sparks and the tires rub the fender well every time you hit a bump on the freeway. We crossed two states like that. Loved watching the reaction of cars behind us everytime the exhaust hit the ground at night.

Last edited:

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Seems unlikely, crack the hatch and load a ton of patio pavers and see how she does:) Not slighting Jeeps, but I'd guess that all the numbers cited are just manufacturer hype and maybe not even calculated the same way b/t companies.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
XJ's weigh around 3,200 pounds. It's not uncommon for them to weight over 4,000 all geared up.
Payload is only 1,150 on the ones I've driven. It's easy to overload an XJ.

5 college students makes an XJ throw a shower of sparks and the tires rub the fender well every time you hit a bump on the freeway. We crossed two states like that. Loved watching the reaction of cars behind us everytime the exhaust hit the ground at night.

Curious where you get your payload number? My door plate says 4900lbs...

Even @ 3200lbs that would be a payload of 1700lbs..

Oh, and lol'd @ your sparks story. On the flipside, I carry 5 people (2 adults/3kids) almost every day in it. I've loaded it full of camping gear(water,fuel,cooler,bags,camp furniture), etc many times. With refreshed springs it doesn't do what you're saying...yours probably had the condition of springs I had when I bought mine, which is to say: Knackered. haha!

Still respectfully wondering in San Diego...:)

(BTW, just did a rough figure and I'm right around 1000-1100lbs with the people, gear, supplies,etc for a normal camping trip. It may be that I "could" load up more, but I honestly don't know where it would GO. haha!)

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Seems unlikely, crack the hatch and load a ton of patio pavers and see how she does:) Not slighting Jeeps, but I'd guess that all the numbers cited are just manufacturer hype and maybe not even calculated the same way b/t companies.

Hey BigAl, I lol'd at your pavers comment. :D I agree it was surprising to when I saw it, too.

So are GVWR's generally accepted to be inaccurate? E.G., the montero and the Edge don't actually have payloads of 1200lbs and 1400lbs respectively?

J. Hanson seemed to cite the info as if that were a guideline for kitting out a rig for overland travel?

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Here's my data plate. 1992 Jeep cherokee Laredo auto 4wd (single rear wheels. haha :D)

jeep.plate.jpg

Last edited:

Ironwagon

Your numbers are correct. My 98 XJ originally weighed around 3100lbs, with a GVWR of 4850. The GWVR differences between XJ's probably varies on vehicle equipment.
Mine now weighs in at 4080lbs with all the mods/equipment/gas, but no people. I know many XJ's are over the 5k mark with one-ton axles and the sort.

reece146

Automotive Artist
FWIW, my built XJ weighs in at ~4200 lbs empty.

My original payload is 1150 lbs, GVWR is 4550. This is a Canadian spec MY01 XJ Sport.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Your numbers are correct. My 98 XJ originally weighed around 3100lbs, with a GVWR of 4850. The GWVR differences between XJ's probably varies on vehicle equipment.
Mine now weighs in at 4080lbs with all the mods/equipment/gas, but no people. I know many XJ's are over the 5k mark with one-ton axles and the sort.

Thanks for the confirmation. I've come the same conclusion. I've seen about a half dozen online sources reference the GVWR to be 4900 or 5100lbs and the curb weight as being around 3000-3300 depending on equipment/tires fitted, etc.

Thanks for the info as to what your rig weighs now being "prepped" for use. Do you feel like that 1000 lbs of payload is being used usefully? I know that my front bullbar/winch mount gives me a lot of confidence as far as protecting my front end from damage, mostly from other vehicles. I don't think I'd offload it to use it's weight for anything else. If I had to choose between and 80lb winch, and 80lbs of water, though, I'd have a hard time making that decision depending on where I'm going.

Good to know that I might be well within my trucks specs to carry both. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles